Fire Mountain Games - 5 years since funding - communication thread

Lobaron Lobaron

First Post
Thanks! I think I probably found your tumblr where you converted it? It's been hard finding what other people have done via Google.

I'm hoping to run WotW, but my group is fickle about breaking conventional game tropes.

kevin_video

Explorer
Thanks! I think I probably found your tumblr where you converted it? It's been hard finding what other people have done via Google.

I'm hoping to run WotW, but my group is fickle about breaking conventional game tropes.
It likely is. It should have the link for the module on there somewhere. It's an online written module with maps. As for what everyone else has done, head to the Paizo thread and work backwards.
http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2os3c&page=last?Fire-Mountain-Games-Throne-of-Night

I can understand their hesitation. It's not easy to get players to play evil characters and them not end up jerks or hating one another personally IRL. I know. I've tried running the game three times, and all were complete failures. Got a new player wanting to me to try a fourth time, but I don't think I have the patience.

Lobaron Lobaron

First Post
I had been thinking about the best way to force cooperation.

1st I was going have everyone be LE

2nd I was going to have a brief talk about the Lawful side still allowing for loyalties. (they can't screw everyone else, but not each other.)

3rd I was going to steal a page from VTM larps and use cooperative storytelling. If a player wants to have a conflict/betrayal of another then the both have to discuss what would happen and agree on what would happen.

4th I'm going to make the contract they sign magical, binding, and deadly. There is a third copy of the contract. On signing it, red runes start to glow in the page, it starts to burn up, and the runic F on their forearm smokes and burns as well. They are now bound into the contract on pain of death. Thorn will warn them of this.

kevin_video

Explorer
With the 4th, you could go that route. There's actual magical means that I discussed on the forum for Book 1, and even on my blog, regarding what changes would and should be necessary. There's an actual magical item that binds those that write on it.

Lobaron Lobaron

First Post
Ha, great minds think alike. As soon as I read about the contract, I thought... Why isn't this magically binding. Hell there's a devil there that can officiate it in the eyes of Asmodeus.

As for Throne of Night... I'm thinking of my own adventure. The reason they would need to build a kingdom. Essentially, there are a few armies present in the ancient Dwarven city. The armies are of zombie dwarves, shadows and something nastier.

The black flames were caused when the Dwarven city accidentally dug into an opening to the plane of negative energy itself. The portal is still there, empowering the undead and killing the living.

If the party wants to retake the city, they will need a magical artifact to enter the plane of negative energy and close the portal. They will also need an army to kill all the undead.

I may fill it out with the portions of various Underdark books. Like they have to get the location of the artifact from an old wizard, that lead into "Night Below" or some such.

Last edited:

kevin_video

Explorer
Apologies for not getting back sooner. My health has been getting worse. Spent these past three days off from work, bedridden.

Regarding the magic contract, Gary might not have been able to use the published version. Being a freelance writer I've been told a few times by publishers that they prefer to use the main core books (ie. just what's on the PRD) because that guarantees them no copyright issues. About 99% of everything Paizo releases is open license, but anything not in the PRD you have to copy/paste into the book. This eats word count and pages. This came from a splat book. http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/m-p/pact-parchment

I found another piece of art from Michael Clarke. It shows a drow with the lich's phylactery and said lich engulfed in the same black flames as we've seen in previous pictures. I've gone looking for it, and I can't help but wonder if the phylactery has something to do with it, or if one of the NPCs had the darkfire adept prestige class. At 4th level, your spells because darkfire spells, and anyone killed by them disintegrate. You have to be non-good. However, that's from Paths of Prestige, and that's a splat book too. I don't know if he'd have willingly pasted that into the book.

The fact that you put "Night Below" in quotations makes me joyful. That's really old school. If you don't already have it, a 3.0 conversion is available for that 3-part module. It wouldn't take much to convert it one step further to Pathfinder, but that would depend on what system you're using. I've seen a few people mention going with 5e, and 2e is not hard to convert to 5e.

Lobaron Lobaron

First Post
Ha, I've been doing some research on the Underdark. I've been fascinated by it since I read the Homeland Trilogy was young. I'll have to look for the 3.0 version of Night Below.

Currently, I've decided Throne of Night is going to take more time, so I've decided to run Way of the Wicked. I will run Throne of Night after that and a break from running.

Remove ads