• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Firearms to be made a fixed part of the game, new Weapons Rules

Horwath

Legend
It's more that the dice chosen for weapons are too small.

Martial weapons should be bumped up at least 2 dice sizes. Martial characters need a 1-6 damage increase across the board. The issue with the Master feats were that they were feats and not automatic.

If warriors dealt more base damage, you'd have more freedom to branch out in other areas

Adding firearms adds more damage but makes good versatile warriors into gunners.
STR based melee weapons need a bump with a die category or two, I agree.
DEX builds are fine.

Greatsword/Maul/greataxe needs to be 2d8 damage.
longsword/battleaxe/warhammer needs 1d10(V 1d12) damage.

Don't know why the hate towards hand crossbow, when obvious culprits are (old)Sharpshooter feat combined with (old)crossbow expert feat.
In base form, it's mediocre damage with terrible range and you NEED two feats to make it viable.
And if you want to have one-handed reloading, you need two specific magic crossbows to make that work.

But, crossbows could be made more realistic, all of them.

High damage, Action reload(or Bonus action), medium range.

I.E.

Crossbow:
simple
two handed
d12 piercing damage,
Loading: Action
range: 80/320

Crossbow, heavy
simple
two handed
heavy
2d6 piercing damage
Loading: Action
range: 100/400

Crossbow, hand
simple
one handed(need two hands for reloading)
light
1d8 piercing damage
Loading: Bonus action
range: 40/160
This reminds me of an old 2e DM I had that made a house rule that all crossbow hits forced a system shock roll or die... and he would then get mad when we all had crossbows

It's not that damage was the issue.
It's the that baseline damage comes at the cost of exploration and social power.
The thing I find (so maybe we agree) is non casters of equal level of optimization to a caster both throwing damage the non caster will at best have a small boost... but no non caster can ever have the versistility of a caster

It's not that damage was the issue.
It's the that baseline damage comes at the cost of exploration and social power.

DND as it stands doesn't really have the capability to support a thematically appropriate Fighter or some other Martial who can engage with other situations than fighting.

Exploration and Social are too shallow and getting shallower, and part of why is the exact same Unicorn people are trying to chase with martials. Magic does too much too often very cheaply.

Like, people think having Expertise in survival is all you need to embody the concept of a Ranger, and we're expecting a Fighter to be able to engage with that system with a lesser benefit while somehow coming off as actually good.

DND as it stands doesn't really have the capability to support a thematically appropriate Fighter or some other Martial who can engage with other situations than fighting.

Exploration and Social are too shallow and getting shallower, and part of why is the exact same Unicorn people are trying to chase with martials. Magic does too much too often very cheaply.

Like, people think having Expertise in survival is all you need to embody the concept of a Ranger, and we're expecting a Fighter to be able to engage with that system with a lesser benefit while somehow coming off as actually good.
yup... it's too the point that I son't know if they even play the game as written by themselves.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads