• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Firefly d20

Bill Scott

First Post
FireFly was a great, and very original, hard scifi series. It sucked that they cancelled it

Someone over at the WOTC boards, I can't recall his name at this time, posted Modern versions of the FireFly crew. If I have time tomorrow, I'll post the link

Simon can reasonably be said to have a 16, 17 or 18 Intelligence, depending on where you put Einstein.

But River is something more. She's almost supernaturally intelligent- all intelligence really represents is the capacity for learning, and River has superhuman learning ability.

I'd disagree with her low Wisdom, as well. She's not unwise...just unhinged. You could make a case that she has superhuman wisdom as well- and her 'madness', while extant, is also due to the fact that she's more aware of the world than most anyone should be. She only appears insane in some circumstances because she's so far beyond us.

Frankly,though, I'd say Unisystem Lite represents the setting and feel a bit better. All you'd really need to do is drop 'I think I'm Okay" and "Back from the Dead" from the roster of Drama Point options. Change up the skill list a bit, and whip up some Qualities and Drawbacks to taste, but D20 doesn't feel right.

Falanor

First Post
I'm thinkin that if you wait a few months time you can pick up three books that should do you a world of good in trying to make Firefly D20. D20 Modern, D20 Future, and Sidewinder: Recoiled could be used to cobble together a fantastic Firefly setting, I would think. :)

Calico_Jack73

First Post
Don't forget that when Simon found out about Jayne's betrayal and had him on the operating table River said that if he did it again that she'd kill him with her mind. Oops... that was a spoiler from one of the unaired episodes. :)

I can't wait for the movie... I wanted to know more about Book's background and the Blue Sun Corp. I want to know what that device was that the Blue Gloves used to kill the Alliance troops that had captured River, Simon, and Jayne.

To me, Traveller seems like the perfect game to create a Firefly setting in.

Last edited:

maddman75

First Post
Well, like someone posted you already have the Eden Studios Presents in Unisystem. And if you really want it in d20 modern there is a conversion guide in the back of AFMBE.

If you don't have All Flesh Must Be Eaten, well, I highly recommend it. Basically Resident Evil/Dawn of the Dead in a RPG. Even if you don't want to make a campaign of it, its great for a one-shot or mini-series type campaign.

Takei

Explorer
2320ad

For a d20 adaption I'd recommend 2320AD once it's out. It's a Traveller T20 adaption of 2300AD and I think the background would work well for Firefly. Remove the aliens, advance the timeline to 2500 and you're more-or-less there.

Another possibility would be BESM d20 as it's very flexible. It would require more work than 2320AD as far as background writing goes.

qstor

Adventurer
Deadlands and d20 modern have the stats for most of the guns used in the show, like the Winchester rifle and the HP MP5 SMG...

Mike

Breakdaddy

First Post
In a Firefly the Series related note, if any of you bought the Complete Series on DVD, it has three episodes that were never aired on TV that do a little to flesh out the series more. I miss the show a lot, but Im glad the movie is underway in the studio!

Remove ads