Firefox users help!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I switched from Safari because of an annoying tab behaviour I couldn't fix. Firefox fixes that... but creates another...

Constantly I'm find bookmarks move and bury themselves inside other folders. It happens so many times a day that I spend a noticable amount of time looking through folders for misplaced bookmarks. This is highly frustrating, and my Google-fu has failed me in solving it.

So, any thoughts? I guess I'm somehow dragging them around without noticing it, but it's been months and I haven't caught myself doing that. I can't think of any other explanation, but it's never happened in any other browser.

(not looking for recommendations to switch to yet another browser, thanks)

Ryujin

Legend
Can't say that I've heard of that behaviour before. You're on a Mac? Have you set up the (Firefox) profile to sync online? The only thing that I can think of, off the top of my head, is that sync is enabled and getting confused with the settings on another computer.

Art Waring

halozix.com
I have run into this before, but I do a lot of browsing and bookmarking for looking at things later.

Firefox automatically bookmarks a page at the last place you saved a bookmark, so if you have a really extensive bookmark list like me it needs some sorting.

If you are on a mac, go into "bookmarks" and select "manage bookmarks" at the top of the list. This should bring up the full bookmark list for firefox, you can look through everything from here and resort and organize bookmarks this way its much easier.

I would recommend making folders for your bookmarks by subject (d&d, news, ect), then dragging your bookmarks into the appropriate folders.

Whew!

Once all that is done, now whenever you create a new bookmark, check to see where it is saving the bookmark, and select the appropriate folders you made to keep your bookmarks organized.

Hope that helps!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I have run into this before, but I do a lot of browsing and bookmarking for looking at things later.

Firefox automatically bookmarks a page at the last place you saved a bookmark, so if you have a really extensive bookmark list like me it needs some sorting.

If you are on a mac, go into "bookmarks" and select "manage bookmarks" at the top of the list. This should bring up the full bookmark list for firefox, you can look through everything from here and resort and organize bookmarks this way its much easier.

I would recommend making folders for your bookmarks by subject (d&d, news, ect), then dragging your bookmarks into the appropriate folders.

Whew!

Once all that is done, now whenever you create a new bookmark, check to see where it is saving the bookmark, and select the appropriate folders you made to keep your bookmarks organized.

Hope that helps!
Thanks, but I feel I must have very badly explained the problem. :)

Art Waring

halozix.com
Thanks, but I feel I must have very badly explained the problem. :)
Well it could be a number of things, that was the first thing that came to mind.

Is your OS up to date perhaps, if you tried to migrate bookmarks over from safari the problem might be an older version of safari because firefox auto updates all the time (sometimes daily) while safari does not.

If its a persistent long term problem than I am not really sure what is going on.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Wish I had something to add, I've been using FF on Windows for over a decade and never came across that. All I could say is look at what extensions you have installed. If the problem is frequent and repeatable I'd even suggest disabling your extension temporarily and seeing if the behavior continues.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I stopped using in-built book mark features of my browsers. For one I have to work in multiple browsers on multipe devices. But also, I just have never feel that the book mark features are that user friendly. I recently began using xBrowserSync as my book mark manager. I have the extension installed on Chrome, Firefox, and Edge. Have all my book marks available regardless of the browser or device I'm using. Also, I really like the interface. It just makes saving and using bookmarks so much smoother.

GreyLord

Legend
I switched from Safari because of an annoying tab behaviour I couldn't fix. Firefox fixes that... but creates another...

Constantly I'm find bookmarks move and bury themselves inside other folders. It happens so many times a day that I spend a noticable amount of time looking through folders for misplaced bookmarks. This is highly frustrating, and my Google-fu has failed me in solving it.

So, any thoughts? I guess I'm somehow dragging them around without noticing it, but it's been months and I haven't caught myself doing that. I can't think of any other explanation, but it's never happened in any other browser.

(not looking for recommendations to switch to yet another browser, thanks)

I haven't had that problem...just checked to see if it occurred with me.

Normally I click the star or bookmark and then it comes up with a tab has a space for you to name (or rename) the bookmark, another space under that for the folder it goes in, and a space under that for tags. I also have it to show the editor when saving the book mark.

Ctrl+Shift+O will bring up your bookmarks and you should have a search function there to find a bookmark really quickly if you don't know where it went.

If it is a sync problem, I would disable sync. That can be tougher than said though as it often also means disabling auto-update (which means it won't update unless you let it). That means disabling it in your OS itself as FF now doesn't seem to allow you to do it from the browser. I normally shut down the FF updater and disable all but FF being able to browse the internet in regards to FF programs.

That can play haywire itself with other extensions you may have with FF.

Remove ads