First Russian RPG?

aramis erak

Legend
I found a Russian PDF of it online when looking for it. It looks more like a boardgame, but I'm using poorly practiced Russian skills and google translate to dig into it. And, getting a few pages in, it's got 5 atts... strength, dexterity, wisdom, constitution, courage, rolled on 4d6k3...

So it's not exactly a direct D&D lift...

darjr

I crit!
I found a Russian PDF of it online when looking for it. It looks more like a boardgame, but I'm using poorly practiced Russian skills and google translate to dig into it. And, getting a few pages in, it's got 5 atts... strength, dexterity, wisdom, constitution, courage, rolled on 4d6k3...

So it's not exactly a direct D&D lift...
Early clones of D&D so seem to miss essential points of D&D. Not to blame them! For instance the first Warhammer box set absolutely was a war game first and an rpg almost as an afterthought, imho. It was cool.

Last edited:

aramis erak

Legend
Early clones of D&D so seem to miss essential points of D&D. Not to blame them! For instance the first Warhammer box set absolutely was a war game first and an rpg almost as an afterthought unlike D&D.
The original W40K:RT claimed to be an RPG, but the only concessions to RPGishness vs minis-wargame being:
  • Rules for recovery of wounded out-of-action figures
  • random equipment
  • lots of fluff text.
I don't have 1st Ed Warhammer Fantasy Battles, but by 3rd, it was squarely moved away from RPG to purely minis-wargame.

Also, Warhammer really isn't that early... 1983...
(I put the dividing line circa 1982 - release of Cook Expert.)

Last edited:

darjr

I crit!
The original W40K:RT claimed to be an RPG, but the only concessions to RPGishness vs minis-wargame being:
  • Rules for recovery of wounded out-of-action figures
  • random equipment
  • lots of fluff text.
I don't have 1st Ed Warhammer Fantasy Battles, but by 3rd, it was squarely moved away from RPG to purely minis-wargame.

Also, Warhammer really isn't that early... 1983...
I had a very good copy of that white box for a long while.

Remove ads