Five Nations (especially Knight Phantom)

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
It does not grant any extra turns; that is still limited by 3+Cha. It changes it from pure turning to doing 1d6 damage per effective cleric level (which is normal cleric level + arcane caster level---no double counting). Will save for half; turn resistance also lessens damage and incorporeal chance as usual. Normal turn attempts are not affected.

Rystil Arden

First Post
stonegod said:
It does not grant any extra turns; that is still limited by 3+Cha. It changes it from pure turning to doing 1d6 damage per effective cleric level (which is normal cleric level + arcane caster level---no double counting). Will save for half; turn resistance also lessens damage and incorporeal chance as usual. Normal turn attempts are not affected.
You misunderstand me:

Do the levels of the PrC add to your effective level of turning undead?

Rystil Arden

First Post
stonegod said:
Not for normal turn attempts.
Why do you keep qualifying that--it makes me seem like you're hiding something here :lol: The answer is 'No', right?

Anyways, does it only affect the same # of HD of undead as turning, or everything around it? Because if it is everything around, a case could be made that it is more powerful than the 8th-level spell Sunburst.

stonegod

Rystil Arden said:
Why do you keep qualifying that--it makes me seem like you're hiding something here :lol: The answer is 'No', right?

Anyways, does it only affect the same # of HD of undead as turning, or everything around it? Because if it is everything around, a case could be made that it is more powerful than the 8th-level spell Sunburst.
I thought I was being clear. Normal turn undead checks are based solely on cleric/paladin levels. I.e., its based on real cleric level (or half paladin level). The cleric+arcane caster level is only for the 1d6/level fire damage.

Rystil Arden

First Post
No, I already know that. That is not what I am asking :lol:

Let me ask again in a different way: I'm a cleric. I never want to use the fiery thing. I'm just interested in the following question: If I take the Silver Pyromancer Prestige Class, does it add to my effective Cleric level for the purposes of Turning Undead? Radiant Servant of Pelor does. Mystic Theurge does not. Does Silver Pyromancer?

stonegod

Rystil Arden said:
Let me ask again in a different way: I'm a cleric. I never want to use the fiery thing. I'm just interested in the following question: If I take the Silver Pyromancer Prestige Class, does it add to my effective Cleric level for the purposes of Turning Undead? Radiant Servant of Pelor does. Mystic Theurge does not. Does Silver Pyromancer?
No, it is like Theurge in that respect (thus my comment on normal turning still based on cleric only).

Rystil Arden

First Post
stonegod said:
No, it is like Theurge in that respect (thus my comment on normal turning still based on cleric only).
Right, so it never increases turning ability. Good :D It does increase arcane casting though, which is why it adds 4d6. That's what I expected ;) So does it hit everything or just the normal Hit Dice worth of creatures that are turnable for your level? Because that is an *awful lot* of free blasting compared to Sunburst if it hits everything around.

stonegod

Rystil Arden said:
So does it hit everything or just the normal Hit Dice worth of creatures that are turnable for your level? Because that is an *awful lot* of free blasting compared to Sunburst if it hits everything around.
Any undead within 30' of you (smaller area and much smaller range than sunburst) and undead get to subtract their turn resistance from the damage (sunburst does not do that).

Rystil Arden

First Post
stonegod said:
Any undead within 30' of you (smaller area and much smaller range than sunburst) and undead get to subtract their turn resistance from the damage (sunburst does not do that).
So it is basically like the spell Sunbeam, I guess, but divided between a much longer period of time and with a better Area of Effect, plus a number of easy ways to raise the damage (Practised Spellcaster and any turn level items will do it). It's not too bad normally, but I can see how this would be a huge problem for any game that involved undead. I'd probably be more comfortable with it if it were Will negates and/or capped out somewhere around 15d6.

Remove ads