• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fix non-scaling parameters

ciaran00

Explorer
So, the major point in 3/3.5 that's bothered me is non-scaling parameters: spell resistance, save DCs, and effective class levels. Unearthed arcana addressed a bit of it with "Magic Rating" (a near-clone of the "Magical Might" concept I've seen here in House Rules). Here are some ideas I was playing with:

* Effective Class Level: All spellcasting classes have a magic rating as presented in UA. Classes with spell-like abilities which function at a certain static caster level would use a magic rating standard of advancement if they are multiclassed. For example, the assassin class would gain a full caster level with rogue levels, 1/2 for fighter or savage levels, and maybe 1/4 with cleric or wizard levels.
* Spell resistance: Increase SR by 1 for each HD of advancement. A mind flayer with Spell resistance of X would have SR X+4 if he took 4 levels in fighter. For prestige classes that grant SR, subtract the minimum character level required to attain the class (ie: Knowledge (any) 7 ranks = level 4) from the SR gained and then add 1 for every HD in other classes or race.
* Save DCs: Change all spell or power save DCs to 10 + 1/2 caster level + relevant ability.

I'm sure there are problems, but I want to get the discussion going...

ciaran

ciaran00 said:
So, the major point in 3/3.5 that's bothered me is non-scaling parameters: spell resistance, save DCs, and effective class levels. Unearthed arcana addressed a bit of it with "Magic Rating" (a near-clone of the "Magical Might" concept I've seen here in House Rules). Here are some ideas I was playing with:

* Effective Class Level: All spellcasting classes have a magic rating as presented in UA. Classes with spell-like abilities which function at a certain static caster level would use a magic rating standard of advancement if they are multiclassed. For example, the assassin class would gain a full caster level with rogue levels, 1/2 for fighter or savage levels, and maybe 1/4 with cleric or wizard levels.
* Spell resistance: Increase SR by 1 for each HD of advancement. A mind flayer with Spell resistance of X would have SR X+4 if he took 4 levels in fighter. For prestige classes that grant SR, subtract the minimum character level required to attain the class (ie: Knowledge (any) 7 ranks = level 4) from the SR gained and then add 1 for every HD in other classes or race.
* Save DCs: Change all spell or power save DCs to 10 + 1/2 caster level + relevant ability.

I'm sure there are problems, but I want to get the discussion going...

ciaran

1.fine no problems,often a good idea.fixes those crappy 10caster level prcs,i assume blackguards get full from paladins ;)
2.not a good idea,change to for each advancement of CR.its often enough the same,but some critters can get lots of hitdice before bumping a CR basiclly netting Mimmunity.
3.both good and bad,good for many things.bad because of save or dies.i suggest an ad hoc -4 to there DCs if you do this.but thats always my suggestion.
though it does make heighten worthless,my personal fix to heighten is can only be applied once +1DC +2casterlevels as the effect.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads