Fix the Artificer's Metamagic Spell Trigger

Rystil Arden

First Post
This thread is for discussion of the fix to the Artificer's Metamagic Spell Trigger ability such this ability may only be used once a round, so it applies only one metamagic effect to a wand of your choice per round. This is stackable with the Metamagic Infusion for a total of two metamagic effects per round. It seems to me that nobody would ever be using more than two anyway unless they were trying to do something obscene where they blew away tons of charges to annihilate an interesting battle in one attack.

Patlin

Explorer
I'm also in general agreement with this. Using the metamagic spell trigger ability should be considered to be part of the standard action to activate the wand, and should only be usable once per standard action.

There are some limited circumstances in which you can get a second standard action in a round, such as the Action Surge feat (ECS). If you used action surge to get another standard action and wanted to use it to activate another wand, I think using the class ability on each seperate standard action would be OK.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
This is the way I always interpreted the rule. I also assume this should apply to Metamatic Spell Completion.

Rystil Arden

First Post
stonegod said:
This is the way I always interpreted the rule. I also assume this should apply to Metamatic Spell Completion.
It isn't correct (I used to have a link where Keith Baker specifically debunked someone who thought it actually worked like this and said you could use it infinitely many times per trigger), but it is a sanity check

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Rystil Arden said:
It isn't correct (I used to have a link where Keith Baker specifically debunked someone who thought it actually worked like this and said you could use it infinitely many times per trigger), but it is a sanity check
This?

To sum up Mr. Baker (not the final designer of the class, that's James Wyatt): 1 metamagic trigger per wand per use (so dual wand could have one metamagic trigger each). The difference between our use and this one would be 1) Quickening (so you couldn't quicken a wand then Maximize it for a normal use) and 2) Dual use (you couldn't metamagic both wands) and Action Boost (no using it again) [and (4) Quickened dual action boost].

So, are we really trying to kabosh (1), (2), or (3)?

Rystil Arden

First Post
stonegod said:
This?

To sum up Mr. Baker (not the final designer of the class, that's James Wyatt): 1 metamagic trigger per wand per use (so dual wand could have one metamagic trigger each). The difference between our use and this one would be 1) Quickening (so you couldn't quicken a wand then Maximize it for a normal use) and 2) Dual use (you couldn't metamagic both wands) and Action Boost (no using it again) [and (4) Quickened dual action boost].

So, are we really trying to kabosh (1), (2), or (3)?
That's a different link than the one I saw where he said you could use it multiple times. I guess that's why he prefaces by saying it isn't final or official.

Yeah, we're trying to kabosh all of those things you listed, plus for sure the one that lets you use the ability infinitely many times (which is what it actually says in the book).

Remove ads