• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Flaming Sphere + Sudden Maximize

Liquidsabre

Explorer
2d6 is the variable damage but the spell's damage may occur over several rounds. Is the damage really 12 points every round or is it just for the first round of damage?

Last edited:

shilsen

Adventurer
Every round. The feat says "maximum damage" and has no restriction on duration. The more important question would be why you want to maximize flaming sphere at all :)?

Infiniti2000

First Post
shilsen said:
Every round. The feat says "maximum damage" and has no restriction on duration. The more important question would be why you want to maximize flaming sphere at all :)?
Most likely because you have a rod of lesser maximize and you're 3rd level fighting slow-moving ice creatures. :)

Liquidsabre

Explorer
shilsen said:
The more important question would be why you want to maximize flaming sphere at all :)?

Gearing up to play a 4th level Evoker with Sudden Maximize (also Spell Focus: Evocation and Sudden Widen). Flaming Sphere at the moment is one of the character's more powerful spells. ;)

Though perhaps I should consider sudden extend for this particular spell, rather than sudden widen heh. Just seemed like alot of damage and I wanted to check to make sure my assumptions were correct, though I suppose it does only happen 1/day and it's a Ref save for either no dmg or all spell.

Liquidsabre

Explorer
Oh hey I had one other question about the spell flaming sphere:

What happens when a creature tries to pass through the square that the flaming sphere is currently occupying? Does the creature take damage? With a flaming sphere being 5-ft diameter that sounds like a useful door blocker as well, does it work?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Liquidsabre said:
Gearing up to play a 4th level Evoker with Sudden Maximize (also Spell Focus: Evocation and Sudden Widen). Flaming Sphere at the moment is one of the character's more powerful spells. ;)

I suggest you reconsider Searing Ray then. The first level Orb spells from Complete Arcane are also worth considering.

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
Mistwell said:
I suggest you reconsider Searing Ray then. The first level Orb spells from Complete Arcane are also worth considering.

You mean scorching ray? I would have to concur.

Normally I recommend Empower over Maximize, but since it's Sudden I have no problem with Sudden Maximize.

Andargor

Remove ads