D&D 5E Flanking - Do you use it, and if so how?

W

WhosDaDungeonMaster

I've only been DMing for a bit over a month now and have used flanking for the monsters on PCs (ouch!) and of course the players use it as well. So far, everyone seems fine with the RAW.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Flanking was a rule all the way back to 1e and a +2 unless you hit the sweet spot of being behind the enemy. (that would be +4)

I am considering using something closer to the 1e version and allow a skill check when you have someone flanked to increase it to advantage. Skills used might be athletics, stealth, acrobatics, insite or deception.

or maybe even intimidation to give your ally full advantage instead.

i_dont_meta

Explorer
My group of almost 8 yrs just applies a +2 to hit when flanking occurs and have been doing since our very 1st session. No complaints so far...
We found, mostly for 5e, that Advantage was too much of a bonus and stuck w/+2.

WaterRabbit

Explorer
I agree with those that feel that advantage is too big a bonus and too easy to get while flanking. It creates a weird dynamic where the DM is left trying to figure out how to ensure everybody doesn't always have advantage on all attacks.

I just don't understand this. It literally has never come up in over a year of playing with this rule. We started as a group with it and as the DM I have never had to try and figure this out. It just isn't an issue.

I think most people forget that to flank using this rule the flankers have to be exactly opposite from each other. That means one of those characters is going to be more exposed to an enemy with the commensurate increase in risk.

As the DM, there are much more difficult problems than this. Making sure that you don't over coordinate the opposition forces to an unfair advantage against the party. As the DM you have perfect knowledge of where every combatant is located which means it is very easy to out maneuver the party if you aren't cognizant of that.

My players in general like the flanking rule as it has a risk/reward cost.

Remove ads