D&D 5E Flanking - Do you use it, and if so how?

aco175

Legend
I use flanking as is mostly from a 4e holdover when we started playing 5e. There is no problems that overpower the game. It does bring the thief into combat and away from bow use. The fighter may charge into the room to position himself for a few attacks thinking that a few other PCs come in and flank. I find that it makes combat go faster and end quicker rather than dragging when the last couple monsters are left.

It does seem to make the thief hit every turn for backstab damage. It also allows the fighter to hit more as well along with the cleric who would not hit that much without advantage.

Retreater

Legend
Granting advantage is too powerful, so I haven't used it. The PCs would be outnumbered and outmatched by the monsters in nearly every fight.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I like using miniatures and having more tactical options in combat. However, I don't like the optional DMG flanking rules because flanking (with advantage) is too easy to get. My flanking house rule (which requires the expenditure of a bonus action) is:

Creatures flanking an enemy can perform a Help action as a bonus action. This allows an ally who is also flanking the enemy to attack the target (on their first attack) with advantage before the helper’s next turn.

interesting...

One could use the 1e/4e flanking rules where you only get a +2 this makes it more of a choice less of a no duh

In the 1e rules if it was from behind it would be +4 something closer to advantage but then you have to track facing. Perhaps you could use a stealth check when flanking so that your attack gets full advantage.

Matt Caron

First Post
In my games I use the house rule that if the enemy is flanked, the player attacking gains a +2 to their attack role as the enemy is splitting their attention between 2 people.

Laurefindel

Legend
I'm not a fan of the flanking rules as described in the DMG. Like some posters above, I find it cheapens the, well, advantage of having advantage. However, I'm not against flanking or some sort of gang-up as a concept.

We don't play with miniatures and even when we do, they are used as a general indication rather than an exact location as combatants constantly moves and shift around, so flanking as a grid-and-mini tactical positioning does not really apply. But PCs and monsters can declare that they are attempting to flank their enemies if they have the freedom of movement to do so, and thus gain advantage on attack rolls. The target can usually avoid that easily by moving out of the way, squeeze itself in a corner (which can become a vulnerability later on), or fighting back to back with an ally, etc.

I like the idea that the advantage of number brings more than "more attacks". As a DM, it allows me to extend the threat of low level monsters (like goblins) a little longer in the game. similarly, this type of PC teamwork might be the only way to beat a creature way above their CR.

In short, it's one of the ways that PCs and monsters can get advantage, but it requires more than "I finish my move in the square opposite to Bob's".

WaterRabbit

Explorer
So I have been using the optional DMG flanking rule in my different campaigns for over a year. I have found it creates more fluid battles. Players really like flanking enemies and really hate getting flanked themselves. My players disengage and dodge much more often than what seems to be the norm as reported on these forums.

I have seen a lot of comments above about how flanking is too easy or cheapens advantage. I have not seen that in play at all. We play on Roll20 so virtual miniatures. I create battle maps with the idea of this in mind, so they have more terrain and cover options than would normally come up in the physical world. Mind you, most of the maps I use are just drawn free hand on Roll20 with icons dropped onto the map layer for clutter.

I rarely run battles that are less than four creatures per side. So I could see an argument that a solo creature could be easily flanked. However, I also don't allow a creature to flank something two sizes or larger than it. Solo creatures generally have terrain or mobility options which make them difficult to flank. Creatures with Legendary actions are almost impossible to flank. So this hasn't been much of an issue.

What happens more often is a player moves to flank a creature and doesn't consider the fact that they just set themselves up to be surrounded. It also creates interesting tactical the trade offs -- does the party stay together to avoid anyone getting flanked or do they spread apart to keep from being taken out by an area of effect attack?

The idea that advantage is too good for this, consider that advantage isn't a linear bonus. If a solo boss has a very high AC, advantage doesn't add that much to the to hit calculation. I should also point out that I grant four group inspiration points after each long rest. Anyone in the party at anytime can claim one of the inspiration points as long as they tie it to a personality trait. Once a particular trait (trait, ideal, bond, flaw) has been used, it cannot be used again. With Roll20 both dice are rolled and seen simultaneously so a player can tell at a glance if inspiration would be useful.

Even with all of this I have TPK(captured) the party once and almost TPKed them again last session. Everyone one of them was on their last few HPs and they had used up the inspiration.

So, flanking isn't really a problem as written from either the DM or player point of view, IMHO.

I don't use any of the extra flanking rules, but it's already incorporated into the narrative, for situations where it's necessary. When the rogue gets Sneak Attack, from having an ally threaten the target, that's flanking. When a wolf or thug gains Advantage from Pack Tactics, that's flanking.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I agree with those that feel that advantage is too big a bonus and too easy to get while flanking. It creates a weird dynamic where the DM is left trying to figure out how to ensure everybody doesn't always have advantage on all attacks.

Remove ads