• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Flurry of Blows/Flailing Strike and Pounce

Gromnar

First Post
Hi ENworlders!

I know this question has been asked before on numerous forums, but I can't seem to find a solid answer. Can one combine flurry of blows or chaos monk (dragon magazine monk alternate) with pounce?

Some say no due to flurry or flailing needing a full round action to use, and pounce is a full attack at the end of a charge, which in itself is a full round action. Yet, some of what I've read suggests that, since you make a full-attack at the end of the charge, that should be combined with one of those two things.

Anyone have any advice?

Dandu

First Post
Pounce
When a creature with this special attack makes a charge, it can follow with a full attack—including rake attacks if the creature also has the rake ability.

Flurry of Blows (Ex)
When unarmored, a monk may strike with a flurry of blows at the expense of accuracy. When doing so, she may make one extra attack in a round at her highest base attack bonus, but this attack takes a -2 penalty, as does each other attack made that round. The resulting modified base attack bonuses are shown in the Flurry of Blows Attack Bonus column on Table: The Monk. This penalty applies for 1 round, so it also affects attacks of opportunity the monk might make before her next action. When a monk reaches 5th level, the penalty lessens to -1, and at 9th level it disappears. A monk must use a full attack action to strike with a flurry of blows.

Offhand, I'd say that you can.

Last edited:

Wyvernhand

First Post
Yea, Flurry of Blows is not a full round action, it is done as part of a full attack (which happens to generally require a full round action). Slight difference, but still a difference. Dandu has it 100% correct, per usual.

Gromnar

First Post
Thank you both for the quick responses, it is appreciated.

I suppose my next question is, for chaos monk flailing strike (if anyone is familiar), the ability says that at level 1, you can make 1d4-1 extra attacks, with a minimum of 0. If this is the case, and you roll a 1, -1 is 0 extra attacks. However, would you then gain or use your regular attacks from a high base attack bonus?

Wyvernhand

First Post
You would. Just line you get you're normal iterative attacks when you flurry, you get them when you do flailing strike. If you roll a 1, you still take the penalty, but you don't get any benefit, pretty much just as if you hadn't flurried. It's counting the number of EXTRA attacks you get from the ability. Iteratives are normal attacks.

Gromnar

First Post
You would. Just line you get you're normal iterative attacks when you flurry, you get them when you do flailing strike. If you roll a 1, you still take the penalty, but you don't get any benefit, pretty much just as if you hadn't flurried. It's counting the number of EXTRA attacks you get from the ability. Iteratives are normal attacks.

Just so I get the quote correctly, if a character with a bab of 6 charges, with pounce, and does a flailing strike and say, rolls a 4, the -1 turns into 3 extra attacks at a -2 penalties. So the character would then get 3 unarmed strikes at -2, then 2 additional unarmed strikes for a bab of +6, also at -2?

Wyvernhand

First Post
No. -2 refers to "highest BAB -2". So if you had a BAB of +6, and you rolled a 4 for flailing strike you would have 2 iteratives + 3 extra attacks. The -2 penalty applied to all attacks made in the round.

+4 primary
+4 extra 1
+4 extra 2
+4 extra 3
-1 secondary

Before Str and other attack bonuses applicable.

Gromnar

First Post
Thank you, that makes it much clearer.

I think my last question is haste. Does haste grant an additional attack? The wording of haste says:

When making a full attack action, a hasted creature may make one extra attack with any weapon he is holding. The attack is made using the creature’s full base attack bonus, plus any modifiers appropriate to the situation. (This effect is not cumulative with similar effects, such as that provided by a weapon of speed, nor does it actually grant an extra action, so you can’t use it to cast a second spell or otherwise take an extra action in the round.)

Wyvernhand

First Post
Haste does not stack with any other magical effects that grant extra attacks, but it would stack with non-magical abilities that grant extra attacks on a full attack such as flurry of blows, whirling frenzy, rapid shot, snap kick, etc.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads