Flying Buffalo D20?

starwolf

First Post
Ahhh, Re'esh from the Bloodmoon School....OK, but I will have to get back to you on this one....Re'esh just screams for that DemonSkin Prc from T&B and since I don't have my books handy to make the adjustments it will have to wait till tomorrow....however a a quick glance would seem to indicate at least a 7th level fighter/7th level sorcerer and maybe all 10 levels of the Prc....Re'esh is definatly a 20th level character IMHO

Or, depending on your game...maybe the "skin" is just a Special Quality from the Curse. And he is more likely a 7th level Sorcerer/5th level fighter/8th level WeaponMaster type Prc.

All depend's on what power level you want to set your game at.

Last edited:

chatdemon

First Post
starwolf said:
With all due respect gentleman, I don't see whyy they would need to "update" the city guides for d20, since they were so generic to begin with. As a matter of fact, they shoud be even easier to use with 3e than they were with 1st ed. or 2nd ed.

My thoughts exactly. Those books (which I own) are specifically made to fit into any RPG, though they do seem to have had their biggest following among D&D and T&T (Tunnels & Trolls) players. Without substantial amounts of new material in rereleased City Books, I wouldn't buy them just because they got D20 statblocks and a flashy D20 logo slapped on them.

chatdemon

First Post
JoeGKushner said:
No problem. Here's the short reason. I don't have the time to convert them. Dind't in 1st or 2nd either. Besides, I don't think that their generic format helped them sell lots of product whereas the D20 logo sure seems to help a whole lotta publishers.

Next question?

Yeah. Try this one.
How many of the current D20 outfits will last 25 years? Flying Buffalo is one of the oldest RPG companies around, and their Catalyst books, though never huge hits, have sold solidly enough over the years to keep (most) of them in print.

GURPS has also made its parent company, Steve Jackson Games, an established icon in the industry.

Your implied assumption that generic sucks just doesn't hold water.

Last edited:

JoeGKushner

First Post
I never said generic sucks. After all, I own the books right? I'm saying that they're not big sellers. And GURPS, outside of having a G for Generic, has a massive line of books and is anythign but generic. It too falls apart in certain genres just like GURPS does.

Maybe it's their system I don't like? I personally loved the capsystem from Primal Order, but then again, it included conversion notes for something like 30 different game systems.

Katerek

Iconic Gnoll
Personally, I could care less about the d20 update. I would just like to see a new release of them so that they are widely available. Or a condensed version.

chatdemon

First Post
Katerek said:
Personally, I could care less about the d20 update. I would just like to see a new release of them so that they are widely available. Or a condensed version.

They are available, though perhaps not at every gaming outlet. One of the downsides of D20 IMO is that some retailers are now reluctant to carry anything else.

Anyway, you can order direct from Flying Bufallo , their price list is here:

http://www.flyingbuffalo.com/prices.htm

Or go here and you can order a free copy of their catalog (and if you ask nicely, they've been known to include Grimtooth the Troll bumper stickers with the catalog requests.)

http://www.flyingbuffalo.com/store.htm

JoeGKushner

First Post
See that's funny. People claming, on the internet mind you, that they can't get the books and their there. It's like Central Casting, Heroes of Legend. "Man, that's a great book." "But you can order it directly from the company." "Man, a fellow sure could do great thigns with that. Great things..." It's like the eposide of the Simpsons when Bart is taking his Focusin and Carl and Lenny are looking at Homer's organizer talking about how wonderful it would be. Go get the books and support the company directly. Sheesh..

In the meanwhile, since I already own the books, I'll keep clamouring for a D20 update! :D

starwolf

First Post
OK Joe, here is Re'esh like I promised......I decided to go the WeaponMaster route rather than an Acolyte of the Skin...Just consider his "condition to be a Special Ability, and perhaps add a DR rating along with Regen....

Re'esh, male human(sort of) Sor8/Ftr2/WpnMstr10:Size M (5 ft., 6 in. tall); HD 8d4+8 + 2d10+2 +10d10+10; hp 106; Init +3 (+3 Dex); Spd 30 ft.; AC 23 (+3 Dex, See Special); Attack +20/+15/+10/+5 melee, or +15/+10/+5 ranged; SV Fort +9, Ref +12, Will +10; AL N; Str 18, Dex 16, Con 13, Int 19, Wis 12, Cha 15.

Languages Spoken: Common, Dwarven, Elven, Infernal, Terran.

Skill points: Sor 77, Ftr 14, WpnMstr 70
Skills and feats: Alchemy +8, Climb +6, Concentration +12, Craft +13, Diplomacy +3, Disguise +3, Intimidate +25, Handle animal +7, Hide +1, Knowledge (arcana) +9, Knowledge (religion) +6, Knowledge (weaponry) +14, Listen +24, Move silently +3, Profession +12, Scry +16, Spot +24, Sense Motive +13; Dodge, Mobility, Combat Reflexes, Expertise, Spring Attack, Whirlwind Attack, Weapon Focus (LongSword), Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave.

Sorcerer Spells Known (6/7/7/5/3): 0th -- Dancing Lights, Detect Magic, Disrupt Undead, Ghost Sound, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, Ray of Frost, Read Magic. 1st -- Animate Rope, Change Self, Magic Missile, Shield, Shocking Grasp. 2nd -- Ghoul Touch, Invisibility, Levitate. 3rd -- Fireball, Hold Person. 4th -- Summon Monster IV.

Special:Re'esh's "skin" gives him a natural AC bonus of +10

JoeGKushner

First Post
I like it. See, this is why I love the internet.

Still, there are so many other characters...

Now I'll have to go bother my players with a very special mentor... (Evil laughing in background...)

starwolf

First Post
Which characters? I have all of the books....hmmm maybe I should do a d20 stat-block supplement for the whole series...

The stat-blocks wouldn't do anybody any good unless they bought the originals.....hmmmm

Remove ads