For More Than Glory (Emiricol's Campaign)

evandariel

First Post
Hey Em. I can't seem to send you the write-up I did. And I wanted to tell you about this weekend. Do you remember me saying that my cable and internet would be ok? Well it wasn't. They didn't connect it in the new house either, not until yesterday. My phones are still not working and they are trying to fix that today. But I wanted to let you know that yes I have the internet and yes I will be making the game on Sunday. I am going to post my write up here, I hope you don't mind, but I can't seem to send it to you and this is as easy as anything.

Here it goes:

Gadreman spent much of his time in the wilds, both alongside comrades and alone. He had since been reunited with his allies, though it was not as long-lived as he would have hoped. The goblinoids of Ulruz hunted him, even now, through the rugged lands of Mittendien, hoping to bring him home again, and under his old master's rule.

During his meeting with the other adventurers in Dumeldien, after several months of separation, they had managed to secure a quest and the promise of a reward from one pompous courtesan. The mission was to remove a certain difficult person from the courts of the city, and away from places where she, as it turned out, was liable to influence the affairs of a lord.

Things went well with Gadreman riding behind, an added suprise for those unfortunate enough to bear down upon the group and their prize. After the first encounter, though, Gadreman lost sight of his friends. The small glade they were forced to pass through interfered with his vision, and he spent much time traversing in odd circles. It was not until he came upon an upside-down tree that he realized, to his horror, the error of his ways. Gadreman strained to hear, shutting his eyes, and soon the sounds of the forest died out, and were replaced with laughter, the crackling of a recently-made campfire, and a stench that had been hidden from his senses until now. Gadreman came to realize very quickly the bait that he had taken; an illusion of a glade on a plain that spanned miles. It also dawned, with a terrifying anger, that his captives were none other than hobgoblins.

They took him for nothing more than a bumbling fool, still trapped in an illusion, and thus it was made possible that Gadreman could escape this fate worse than death. Late into the night, eyes still closed, Gadreman waited. The hobgoblins fell asleep slowly at first, until the ale in their systems took control and caused them to fall in great numbers. Three were left, disciplined soldiers taking their turns on guard over the hulking prisoner. No hobgoblin in the legions were slow enough to slack on their duties, for they all knew the punishment. Gadreman opened an eye, the illusion now departed, and located his supplies. Stupidly, he thought, they had placed his gear (and his weapons) too close to him. Blood boiled, and eyes once golden turned red and dry. Enough was enough. The snap of leather was the first and last warning the guardsmen were permitted as Gadreman bulged against his bindings, causing them to fray and snap within seconds. A quick roll and thrust brought his sword to bear, though it was still sheathed in leather. This did not seem to hinder the giant as the sword rained down repeatedly on his suprised foes. Alarm bells rang, one hobgoblin escaped into darkness.

It took only the briefest moment to realize what was happening for some of the hobgoblins, while others were kicked in the sides by companions. As Gadreman took all of this in, he swooped up his pack and belongings, and found himself face to face with over a dozen hobgoblins, perhaps double that, as some were still rising and others still sleeping. The sheath flicked off the sword with a small movement, and the hulking brute of a mercenary, former slave, went to work. The first two came down with one swift blow of the sword, and a third was trampled. A javelin caught Gadreman in the shoulder, and another stroke of the sword cleared a way of escape. Gadreman was able to make it to the outskirts of the camp with only one other wound, a minor cut on the calf. The horses were tied nearby, and Gadreman sniffed at the air and beckoned with one hand, whistling low. A black shadow came riding up to Gadreman, apparent in all it's beauty to be a war-steed. He nodded to the animal, who allowed him to climb upon his back. Within seconds the two were far gone from the camp, though the hobgoblins pursued. A wild laugh rang out into the night, and Gadreman gathered too much distance for the hobgoblins to continue their hunt tonight. Feeling a bit more safe, Gadreman absorbed his surroundings, and navigated himself as best he could away from the nearby foes, and towards what he hoped would be a city of some sort.

Gadreman made it to a village, but it wasn't until two weeks since his sudden departure from the hobgoblins. It had now been almost a month since he had last seen his companions, the gnome, the prissy elf, the human tree priest, and the halfling. Oh and the rather annoying monk who almost lost his life at the end of Gadreman's blade. Where they were was a mystery to him, but he was not without resources. Town to town the great human travelled, shying away from his normal form while in the more settled regions. The hat of disguises was a blessing Gadreman had not really come to understand until now, and he found his passage the next few months relatively uneventful, even taking the odd caravan or ship guard job for the income to support himself. Soon, Gadreman vouched, he would find his 'friends', as he lothed to call them, or anyone for that matter, and this situation would be rectified. Soon.

Memnus

First Post
For those that missed it (not many), Emiricol is out of commision and presumably doped up on painkillers, so I will be taking the DM Hat of Power (TM) this weekend. Same time as usual, assume same channel as usual unless I post here otherwise.

That said, I have to pick up a friend at the airport earlier that day. It shouldn't be a problem, but if the flight is two hours or more late, I'll have to cancel the session. (You laugh, but last time I had to pick someone up at DIA, the flight was not two hours late, but four.) So again, check here before logging in.

Emiricol

Thanks Memnus. I'm only just starting to come out of the fog :( I think I'll be goood for next weekend, depending on what the doc says about meds.

Leena

First Post
Aros won't be able to make it

Hey guys - I'm at Leena's lol

Aros won't be able to make game tonight either (if there even is one)
hopefully we're back to kicken butt next week

later

evandariel

First Post
I WILL be able to make it... I hope someone is able to play. However I have one last load of furniture to help my close friend move since he only has 72 hours to get out before he's evicted, so I might be about 20-30 minutes late, 45 minutes at the most, if not less than that.

Last edited:

Memnus

First Post
Similarly, Rish and I can't make it. We've been hijacked by a new kitten that needs something more exciting than computer cables to chew upon. Looks like no game this weekend, after all.

Oh, and there's no internet at my apartment, anyway. Going to fix that this week. Promise.

Emiricol

Will there be a game this Sunday? I am feeling well enough to sit in, and would like to get caught up that way :) Whoever has been DMing, email me please at emiricol AT emiricol DOT com so we can work out how to get me back to DMing, or whatever else we want to work out.

Remove ads