• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

FORBES: Out of the Abyss preview

Article here. Mostly just covers NPCs in the campaign and that's it, along with respective portraits. Have to say, so far it seems like I was watching a Saturday morning cartoon reading about them all Is that bad? This looks absolutely amazing to me.

Article here. Mostly just covers NPCs in the campaign and that's it, along with respective portraits. Have to say, so far it seems like I was watching a Saturday morning cartoon reading about them all

Is that bad? This looks absolutely amazing to me.

Corpsetaker

First Post
This AP seems too commercial and too Disney's Alice in Wonderland.

The names are an absolute joke and they are wasting an opportunity to create a very dark, very gritty, very insane, and very scary AP. I like things that frighten children, not cause them to giggle and want to watch them on television. It appears they are trying too hard and if you don't know what you are doing then it will just turn out lame and goofy.

This adventure needs to be written by basically Lovecraft, Lumley, King, and just a dash of Tim Burton. The underdark is an alien and scary place. Derro are murderous, evil, and insane lunatics who should be feared by even the hardiest adventurer. I want scary like a cross between Stephen King's "It" and Call of Cthulhu. We have a mixture of some of the evilest, alien, and most insane creatures mixed into a dark and alien realm where few dare go and trying to add humour does it no justice at all.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

The names are an absolute joke and they are wasting an opportunity to create a very dark, very gritty, very insane, and very scary AP. I like things that frighten children, not cause them to giggle and want to watch them on television. It appears they are trying too hard and if you don't know what you are doing then it will just turn out lame and goofy.

This adventure needs to be written by basically Lovecraft, Lumley, King, and just a dash of Tim Burton. The underdark is an alien and scary place. Derro are murderous, evil, and insane lunatics who should be feared by even the hardiest adventurer. I want scary like a cross between Stephen King's "It" and Call of Cthulhu. We have a mixture of some of the evilest, alien, and most insane creatures mixed into a dark and alien realm where few dare go and trying to add humour does it no justice at all.

We know. Your opinion has been made abysmally clear multiple times in multiple threads. We all know what you think of WotC's current offerings. Random people in rural China who don't have the internet know what you think of WotC's current offerings. My dog knows what you think of WotC's current offerings, and he's a dog, and can't read, and doesn't know D&D even is. The denizens of Proxima Centauri, who can't receive information from Earth in under four years due to inviolable laws of physics still already know what what you think of WotC's current offerings. Everybody knows.

Trust us. We got it.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Hitcher

Explorer
Gold, Morrus.

I'm also excited about this adventure, for many reasons that others have already stated. I was about to start running Tyranny of Dragons, but I'm holding off for this instead, because it seems to have a whole ton more personality. If I'm going to commit to a big AP, I want to make sure it's the right one, and this is the first that doesn't make me yawn to consider.

Wik

First Post

You're trolling us, right? This is all sort of meta thing? Like, you're actually Andy Kaufman or something?

The names are an absolute joke and they are wasting an opportunity to create a very dark, very gritty, very insane, and very scary AP.

They also wasted a golden opportunity to write an AP about flying mecha fighting invading insects. And they also wasted a golden opportunity to write an AP about fish people that just "want to get along".

What's your point?

I like things that frighten children, not cause them to giggle and want to watch them on television. It appears they are trying too hard and if you don't know what you are doing then it will just turn out lame and goofy.

Trying too hard? You know that's a good thing, right? I want people I give money to to "try too hard". My boss is never gonna come up to me and say "Wik, you try too hard, and you just look lame and goofy doing it".

Maybe, to put it better, they KNOW what they want to release.... and you just don't like it?

Because, spoiler - dark, edgy and scary? It TOTALLY looks lame and goofy most of the time. Trust me. I've played a lot of horror RPGs.

This adventure needs to be written by basically Lovecraft,

Sure. He's only been dead a century. I'll dig out my necronomicon

Lumley, King, and just a dash of Tim Burton.

Seriously!? Tim BURTON!? Yeah, he's not silly at all. Never. It's not like he did Beetlejuice. Or Sweeney Todd. Or, um, ALICE IN WONDERLAND!? O Pretty much every thing he's ever touched is a mix of whimsy and scariness. It's sort of his bread and butter. I bet, if he's a D&Der, he's DROOLING over this piece.

The underdark is an alien and scary place.

As you said, it's fictitious. So it can be whatever people want it to be.

Personally, I want it to be like montreal, only without so many friggin' french people.

Derro are murderous, evil, and insane lunatics who should be feared by even the hardiest adventurer. I want scary like a cross between Stephen King's "It" and Call of Cthulhu. We have a mixture of some of the evilest, alien, and most insane creatures mixed into a dark and alien realm where few dare go and trying to add humour does it no justice at all.

First of all, It? That's, like, a pretty big mixture of silly and horror. It's PROOF that you want horror and comedy to mix to make it scarier.

Second, have you played CoC? Because, while it's a horror game, I'll tell you right now - people laugh their butts off playing it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Corpsetaker

First Post
You're trolling us, right? This is all sort of meta thing? Like, you're actually Andy Kaufman or something?

They also wasted a golden opportunity to write an AP about flying mecha fighting invading insects. And they also wasted a golden opportunity to write an AP about fish people that just "want to get along".

What's your point?

Trying too hard? You know that's a good thing, right? I want people I give money to to "try too hard". My boss is never gonna come up to me and say "Wik, you try too hard, and you just look lame and goofy doing it".

Maybe, to put it better, they KNOW what they want to release.... and you just don't like it?

Because, spoiler - dark, edgy and scary? It TOTALLY looks lame and goofy most of the time. Trust me. I've played a lot of horror RPGs.

Sure. He's only been dead a century. I'll dig out my necronomicon

Seriously!? Tim BURTON!? Yeah, he's not silly at all. Never. It's not like he did Beetlejuice. Or Sweeney Todd. Or, um, ALICE IN WONDERLAND!? O Pretty much every thing he's ever touched is a mix of whimsy and scariness. It's sort of his bread and butter. I bet, if he's a D&Der, he's DROOLING over this piece.

As you said, it's fictitious. So it can be whatever people want it to be.

Personally, I want it to be like montreal, only without so many friggin' french people.

First of all, It? That's, like, a pretty big mixture of silly and horror. It's PROOF that you want horror and comedy to mix to make it scarier.

Second, have you played CoC? Because, while it's a horror game, I'll tell you right now - people laugh their butts off playing it.

My goodness! Looks like you are trying too hard to discredit my opinion or something?

Not really sure what you are trying to do here but it is a bit funny.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Yeah, the Tim Burton reference threw me off. It would be like complaining that it had too many explosions, and would be better if Michael Bay did it.

Wik

First Post
My goodness! Looks like you are trying too hard to discredit my opinion or something?

Not really sure what you are trying to do here but it is a bit funny.

Trying to show that you don't have a leg to stand on.

And if you're not getting that, well...

And if I'm trying too hard, I guess that makes me, what? Lame and goofy? Oh dear me.

Luckily, at least you get that it's funny. Unluckily, I don't think you're getting the joke.

Think of it this way - if you don't like what wotc is doing, that's fine. That's not unusual. But have you noted that even if the people here agree with you (which is totally a valid opinion) that they're a bit nervous siding with you?

Remove ads

Remove ads