• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Force effects vs. golem's magic immunity?

mseds99

First Post
What wins out here...

For instance a wizard forcecages a stone golem.

Forcecage

Evocation [Force]
Level: Sor/Wiz 7
Components: V, S, M (see text)
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Area: Barred cage (20-ft. cube) or
windowless cell (10-ft. cube)
Duration: 2 hours/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This powerful spell brings into being an immobile cubical prison with bars or solid walls of force (the character's choice).

Creatures within the area are caught and contained unless they are too big to fit inside or can pass through the slits in the barred cage. All spells and breath weapons can pass through the gaps in the bars. Teleportation and other forms of astral travel provide a means of escape, but the force walls or bars extend into the Ethereal Plane, blocking ethereal travel.

Like a wall of force spell, the forcecage resists dispel magic, but it is vulnerable to a disintegrate spell, and it can be destroyed by a sphere of annihilation or a rod of cancellation.

Barred Cage: The barred cage is a 20-foot cube with bands of force (similar to a wall of force spell) for bars. The bands are a half-inch wide, with half-inch gaps between the bars.

Windowless Cell: The cell is a 10-foot cube with no way in and no way out. Solid walls of force form its six sides.

Material Component: Worth 1,500 gp, consumed when the spell is prepared.

The stone golem has spell Immunity:

Magic Immunity (Ex): Golems completely resist most magical and supernatural effects, except where otherwise noted below.
Magic Immunity (Ex): A stone golem is immune to all spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural effects, except as follows. A transmute rock to mud spell slows it (as the slow spell) for 2d6 rounds, with no saving throw, while transmute mud to rock heals all of its lost hit points. A stone to flesh spell does not actually change the golem’s structure but makes it vulnerable to any normal attack for the following round (this does not include spells, except those that cause damage).

Something has got give here.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Magic immunity is handled as if it were unbeatable SR. Since Forcecage is not subject to SR, it affects the golem normally.

mseds99

First Post
Fair enough, but by that same logic, (ie..magic immunity = unbeatable SR), any spell that SR doesn't apply, could effect the golem. Is that a true statement? the one spell I can think about off the to of my heas like that is the Bolt of Conjuration in one the Book of Eldrich might. It's not affected by SR but still causes direct damage, simliar to magic missle.

Merlion

First Post
Personaly I think the Magic Immunity of Golems is a bit over the top and a good bit unrealistic game world wise(tho thats purely IMO)

kreynolds

First Post
mseds99 said:
Fair enough, but by that same logic, (ie..magic immunity = unbeatable SR), any spell that SR doesn't apply, could effect the golem.

That's what the man (AuraSeer) said. :)

mseds99 said:
Is that a true statement?

Yes.

mseds99 said:
the one spell I can think about off the to of my heas like that is the Bolt of Conjuration in one the Book of Eldrich might. It's not affected by SR but still causes direct damage, simliar to magic missle.

It's also from the Book of Eldritch Might, and that alone is a testament to its questionability. There is no reason why the damaging portion of the spell shouldn't be affected by SR. The SR part of the spell should read SR: See text.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
It's also from the Book of Eldritch Might, and that alone is a testament to its questionability. There is no reason why the damaging portion of the spell shouldn't be affected by SR. The SR part of the spell should read SR: See text.

Not knowing the spell, I can't make an informed comment...

... but I can take a guess :)

The name of the spell suggests perhaps it is creating a physical weapon that strikes the target, in which case - like a summoned monster - DR should apply, but not SR.

-Hyp.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads