• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E ForgedAnvil D&D 5E Character Generator

I've a quick question regarding weapon damage. I've attached the sheet of my character as well, in case that helps. When choosing a dagger, the sheet says I have an attack bonus of +3 (+2 from proficiency, +1 from dexterity), which makes sense. However, it then also says that the dagger has 1d4+1 damage, and I'm unable to figure out what that +1 is for? Does it even mean that I do 1d4 + 1 + 3 damage total, and what is it coming from?

When fighting with a finesse weapon, such as a dagger, your attack bonus is equal to your Proficiency Bonus + your Dexterity modifier. Your damage is equal to the weapon's damage die + your Dexterity modifier.

Dannyboy7702

First Post
Not sure if I'm missing something or if there is an error:
In v2.28, When I select Cleric, and the Forge Domain, I should have proficiency in Heavy Armor, and Smith's Tools. I don't, but I do have 2 unexplained language slots.
In v2.27, when I create the Forge domain in the custom sheet, when I enter Smith's tools proficiency, it shows on the main creation/Start sheet, "Subclass (0) Forge -Smith's Tools", but it doesn't expand the number of select-able tool slots. On the custom sheet, I entered 1 and 1 in front of Smith's Tools. (You can get around this, by entering a 1 in Training.) Heavy armor proficiency works.

Both of the bonus proficiencies (Heavy Armor and Smith's Tools) are missing from the Forge Domain for the Cleric (it might have been missed while it was updated). As for the Smith's Tools not showing up in v2.27, when you created the Forge Domain on the Custom tab, besides selecting the level at which you gain that proficiency (which is 1), did you select how many Tools the domain was proficient in? If you didn't that might be your problem. I added the Smith's Tools to a custom subclass and it showed up in the start tab and CS I tab.

Attachments

• Smith's Tools.jpg
    Smith's Tools.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 1,209

Dannyboy7702

First Post
Are there plans to add a spot to designate your current pact weapon for warlocks? It would be useful for the new Hexblade so you don't have to manually add the charisma modifiers to a weapon every time you summon a new one.

v2.28 is still a work in progress, which I am sure you already know. It is possible that Forge will be adding this feature, as it is a part of The Hexblade subclass.

Elyviere

First Post
When fighting with a finesse weapon, such as a dagger, your attack bonus is equal to your Proficiency Bonus + your Dexterity modifier. Your damage is equal to the weapon's damage die + your Dexterity modifier.

Still not sure I understand. So, having a dexterity modifier of +1 will add a total of +2 damage to my dagger? It adds both +1 to the attack bonus and +1 to the weapon damage?

So if as an example, I roll a 3:

3 (roll) + 1 (bonus to roll from dexterity, i.e. the +1 in "1d4+1") + 3 (bonus [2 from proficiency, 1 from dexterity because of finesse]) = 7 damage

Is that really right? I'm not able to find rules supporting the dexterity bonus being added both to the weapons base damage and then again to the bonus damage of the weapon.

Dannyboy7702

First Post
I've a quick question regarding weapon damage. I've attached the sheet of my character as well, in case that helps. When choosing a dagger, the sheet says I have an attack bonus of +3 (+2 from proficiency, +1 from dexterity), which makes sense. However, it then also says that the dagger has 1d4+1 damage, and I'm unable to figure out what that +1 is for? Does it even mean that I do 1d4 + 1 + 3 damage total, and what is it coming from?

Jonathon was partially correct. Page 147 of the Player's Handbook (PHB) explains what a finesse is. In essences, if a weapon has the finesse property, you have the choice of either using your Strength or Dexterity modifier for the attack and damage rolls.

On page 194 of the PHB, it explains that Attack Rolls consist of a d20 roll and any appropriate modifiers (proficiency bonus & ability modifier). However, damage rolls (page 196 of PHB) consist of the damage die or dice for the weapon you use, and add any modifiers (your ability modifier). Magic weapons can increase (or decrease) the attack and damage modifiers (i.e. +1, +2, +3, etc).

So Jonathan is correct when he explained your situation. You Dexterity has a higher ability modifier (+1) than your Strength (0). So your attack rolls with the dagger would be a d20 + your ability modifier (+1) + your proficiency bonus (+2). However, your damage rolls would consist of a 1d4 (damage die for a dagger) + your Dexterity modifier (+1).

Dannyboy7702

First Post
Still not sure I understand. So, having a dexterity modifier of +1 will add a total of +2 damage to my dagger? It adds both +1 to the attack bonus and +1 to the weapon damage?

So if as an example, I roll a 3:

3 (roll) + 1 (bonus to roll from dexterity, i.e. the +1 in "1d4+1") + 3 (bonus [2 from proficiency, 1 from dexterity because of finesse]) = 7 damage

Is that really right? I'm not able to find rules supporting the dexterity bonus being added both to the weapons base damage and then again to the bonus damage of the weapon.

No, read my earlier post.

Dannyboy7702

First Post
Forge,

I am not sure if this bug has been brought to your attention or not, but here goes.

I noticed something when I was adding the Cleric Forge Domain to the Custom tab in v2.27. A Cleric are granted additional spells through their chosen domain and those additional spell are granted at 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th and 9th level. When selecting the appropriate level to receive those additional spell the levels that are offered are 1st, 2nd, 6th, 8th and 17th. Ironically, those are the same levels that a Cleric receives a Divine Domain feature and not spells (except 1st). Manually entering the correct level does work.

Additionally, the 2 drop down menus for the first level spells do not contain the Identify spell. Manually inputting the spell works just fine though.

Danny

Jeff Adams

First Post
Yep, I put the 1 there. I tried adding tools in all three custom subclasses, and none of them recognized it unless I used lvl 3. If you change it to 3, give yourself 3 levels, it shows up; then if you drop it back down to one, it stays unlocked.

ForgedAnvil

Explorer
Forge,

I am not sure if this bug has been brought to your attention or not, but here goes.

I noticed something when I was adding the Cleric Forge Domain to the Custom tab in v2.27. A Cleric are granted additional spells through their chosen domain and those additional spell are granted at 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th and 9th level. When selecting the appropriate level to receive those additional spell the levels that are offered are 1st, 2nd, 6th, 8th and 17th. Ironically, those are the same levels that a Cleric receives a Divine Domain feature and not spells (except 1st). Manually entering the correct level does work.

Additionally, the 2 drop down menus for the first level spells do not contain the Identify spell. Manually inputting the spell works just fine though.

Danny

Fixed issue with level, defaulted to a list that shows 1,3,5,7,9,11,13,15,17,19. The identify spell should be there, at least in the latest build I have ;)

Remove ads