• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [Forgotten Realms] The Wall of the Faithless

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
It is a preferred deity, or a deity that has a particular influence on someone's life. For example, Chauntea to a farmer. However, this doesn't mean that someone who prays and worships Chauntea more often/intensely than they do with other deities, thinks that Chauntea is superior or above the others. She simply has more influence on the farmer's life than, say, Umberlee might have.

Also, someone may identify themselves with the cause or ideals of a deity, and choose to dedicate themselves to said deity, but that doesn't mean that the person sees their deity as inherently superior or above the others. And it doesn't mean that they won't pray to other gods, if needed.

Yes, I always thought that it would make sense for your farmer to make sacrifices to Umberlee if they found themselves having to travel by sea but otherwise not paying too much notice to her.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
So in any of these cases you would not need to worry about ending up in the Wall of the Faithless because it is most likely just a big lie designed to trick guileless fools like a giant Deity ponzi scheme.

Does thinking a wizard is a jerk mean you don't believe he can throw a fireball at you? No.

My scenarios were ones where you believe the gods exist, but do not think you should worship them (because they're jerks, because they're just powerful mortals, because it's the height of conceit to believe that they need you).

Next time read the post you quote.

Jeremy E Grenemyer

Feisty
Supporter
Can you please define what is a patron deity then?
A better question to ask is, "What does it mean to have a patron deity?"

A patron deity is the deity closest to who and what someone in the Realms is. Closest to what they are about.

When I say that this doesn't mean a character must hold one deity over all others, what I am saying is the character is not required to proselytize or to argue with anyone else over which deity is greatest.

It's a deeply personal choice, and one that can change over time. It doesn't have to be a choice; it can be no more than a feeling, or a sense of belonging.

The bolded part is me, as a DM, now making a value judgement (snip).
Why Waste game time on this?

If the PCs don't plan to raise up their fallen comrade, then you as DM are not required to rule on what happened to the dead PC's soul.

Your describing a problem that does not exist.

Irennan

Explorer
So here's a question: If I choose not to specify a single deity as my patron deity in character creation but instead pray to certain deities throughout gameplay, do I or do I not have a patron deity?

If it means I do have a patron deity, does not anyone who prays to the gods end up having a patron deity? They would have to be very careful to ensure they pray to multiple gods exactly eqaully.

The character wouldn't have any specific patron deity, they would just be praying to the various gods. That wouldn't make them Wall material, and their afterlife would likely take place in the realm of the deity that is closest to the character's ideas (a soldier that prayed to all gods would likely be destined to the halls of Tempus, or this how I would rule it)

JohnLynch

Explorer
A patron deity is the deity closest to who and what someone in the Realms is. Closest to what they are about.
So I ask again: Is it possible for someone who prays to the gods on a daily basis to NOT have a patron deity?

Why Waste game time on this?

If the PCs don't plan to raise up their fallen comrade, then you as DM are not required to rule on what happened to the dead PC's soul.
If it doesn't ever come up or contribute towards game play why have it?

Your describing a problem that does not exist.
Indeed. As I've said (a few times now) in My Realms there is no Wall of the Faithless. Problem solved. Although clearly there's some value in discussing what the established setting does, or else why contribute to the thread at all?

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
Does thinking a wizard is a jerk mean you don't believe he can throw a fireball at you? No.

Well actually it really is. If you are going to deny reality then why get upset when it punches you in the face with a fireball.

My scenarios were ones where you believe the gods exist, but do not think you should worship them (because they're jerks, because they're just powerful mortals, because it's the height of conceit to believe that they need you).

If you think gods exist and do not think you should worship them even though they very specifically tell you that if you do not they can not protect you when you die, then yes you are right that it is the very height of conceit.

But then evil people also exist who make the proverbial deals with Devils thinking that they can get the best of the deal so who really knows what stories people tell themselves.

JohnLynch

Explorer
The character wouldn't have any specific patron deity, they would just be praying to the various gods.
Why? You said a patron deity is a god that has particular significance to the person's life, like Chauntea does to a farmer. If I am praying to gods as part of my daily life, am I not going to pray to one god more than another dependent on what I spend my days doing? Why must I, during character creation, say "this is definitely my patron deity" rather than let it shake out as part of gameplay?

That wouldn't make them Wall material
That wouldn't necessarily make them Wall material. As a DM (if I follow canon) I have to determine whether that player only paid lip service or truly worshiped a particular deity.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
So I ask again: Is it possible for someone who prays to the gods on a daily basis to NOT have a patron deity?

Maybe they are False worshipers?

If it doesn't ever come up or contribute towards game play why have it?

My guess would be because, as a DM, there is a significant difference between coming up in a game and not contributing towards the game.

I know that I create a lot of lore that may never come up in a game.

Jeremy E Grenemyer

Feisty
Supporter
Having a patron deity is mostly about flavor; it's something that helps to ground PCs into the setting and to get players thinking about the Realms (specifically its deities).

In game the concept is pretty much a non-issue. When a character dies, let them die.

If a player never selected a patron and then thinks to ask where his or her character ends up, then the DM should be smart enough to ask the player which deity best fit the character.

This is a chance for the player to close things out nicely, and maybe take away some of the sting.

This is not an opportunity for the DM to stick it to the player.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads