• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Forked Thread: A Question for the 25 and under crowd - What have you read?

what of these more modern (From a d&D perspective) have you read

• Timothy Zahn

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • J. K. Rowling

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • Alan Moore

• Stan Lee

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Jack Kirby

• Brian Lumley

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Brian Michael Bendis

• Jim Butcher

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • Dan Brown

• Josh Whedon

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Stephan King

• George Lucas

• Mel Brooks

• If it isn't Tolken or older it should not be insperation for D&D

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Poll closed .

HardcoreDandDGirl

First Post
Forked from: A Question for the 25 and under crowd - What have you read?

Hussar said:
Over in the forked How Important Magic 5 Things you Need Know thread, we've been talking about which authors could be considered iconic for D&D. Now, there's a push among some who would argue that D&D should remain "true to its roots" in various authors like Lieber and Howard and some who would argue that expanding the scope is perhaps a better idea.

Great idea, I am now wondering though, How many players and DMs use others for inspiration (Some over lap). I think this will show a large number of us draw from multi sources.

From what I have seen of late 3rd and early 4th editions all of these have shaped in some way WotC games. Then again maybe I only see what I want to see.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
I can't vote, I've never read any of those authors.

I watched Lord of the Rings trilogy. I've watched cartoons and movies of Stan Lee and Marvel's works (Spider-man, X-men, Fantastic 4, ...Striperella...). I really like mel Brooks works, never read any of them, though. Robin Hood: Men in Tights is my favorite movie.

Seen some Whedon stuff, not a fan. Haven't even seen Star Wars, let alone read any anything by Lucas. And yeah, I know he's done more than that, it was just a good example. I will never read or watch any of that Harry Potter junk. No experience in the slightest with any of those other names.

I HAVE read Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising series and Lloyd Alexander's The Chronicles of Prydain, which are great works and should be on your list. *Angry*

Someday, a campaign of mine will have cauldron-born. Cauldron-Born - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[sblock]Many years after reading the Prydain series, I had forgotten much of it, and ended up making a lightning using wizard. My friend recommended the word Taran, from Hebrew. Not until after I retired the character did I even realize...[/sblock]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads