• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Forked Thread: Its the terminology that kills me...

Khairn

First Post
Now I have to cringe whenever I hear talk of "strikers" and such. I don't know if I'll ever get used to the new terminology.

I agree completely.

Talking at the gaming table about a Barbarian, Sorcerer or Bard is something that I've done for years. The introduction and promotion of striker, defender, controller and leader as the evolutionary "next step" of those classes does make using them much more "gamey" but less immersive and just more difficult.

I know that there will be those who say "Just don't use them." But with the D&D books, support and site all promoting the new terminology its not something you can simply avoid.

AverageTable

First Post
eh...
What's a "toon"?

Since I don't think anyone has specifically answered this question yet, I will:

"Toon" is a MMORPG slang term used to refer to a player's character. It is short for "cartoon".

e.g. "My main toon just hit 70, so I think I'll roll up a new toon tomorrow."

I assume the etymology is simply that characters in any 3D graphical world always look, to one extent or another, like cartoon characters; so lazy players started typing "toon" when referring to them rather than "character" or even "cartoon". As far as I know, the term is only used for a player's character, never for an NPC or monster.

Which, of course, brings us to the worst piece of MMO slang ever invented:

"Mob", as most of you are probably aware, is a catch-all MMO slang term that refers (depending on the user) either to any "hostile" or "dangerous" NPC entity in the game world or, sometimes, to any NPC entity whatsoever. The first usage, I believe, is more common.

e.g. "If I kill about a dozen more mobs I'll level-up."

Merely saying this word leaves a gross taste in my mouth. The first time I heard someone use it I wanted to wretch. And, naturally, given the popularity of MMO games these days, the slang used by those who play them is slowly becoming ubiquitous in all areas of gaming. It's already reached the point that terms like "toon" and "mob" are making frequent appearances on D&D forums; and, I'm sure, a significant number of gaming groups now have at least one member who use such language regularly.

If anyone at my game table ever refers to an orc as a "mob" I'll beat him to death with his own shoes.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
"Mob", as most of you are probably aware, is a catch-all MMO slang term that refers (depending on the user) either to any "hostile" or "dangerous" NPC entity in the game world or, sometimes, to any NPC entity whatsoever. The first usage, I believe, is more common.
I was previously unaware that "mob" was ever used to refer to a singular non-organizational entity.

Thanks, -- N

WhatGravitas

Explorer
About "Toons": Yeah, also something I really dislike.

About "Mobs": Guys, please stop using it - this is a Mop. And in some languages, "Mob" is an alternate spelling for that...

Cheers, LT.

Keefe the Thief

Adventurer
Yeah, it´s terrible when specialized jargon tells you what your job is in a party. They should have never included those terms.

Fighting-man and Magic-user really have to go. Period.

Arnwyn

First Post
Hopefully swordmage will replace gish for all but githyanki characters.
We can only hope. Gish are githyanki, whether people who misuse the term like it or not.

As to the OP - I despise most jargon that's popped up on the internet, and the examples given are no exception. Thankfully, due to my group's general avoidance of gaming-related website (except me when I'm bored at work), the terms have not yet infested our game.

Cadfan

First Post
I always viewed advice on actually running a game to be similar to reading a book on how to write a good book. If you need to read how to do it, your never going to be good at it. Because its in the soul and heart to create and and adapt, not in a book. Some people are built to be storytellers and some people are built to be players. Theres some crossover but nothing a book can teach you.
That's like saying that, because good musicianship comes from the heart, not from lessons, no one should take music lessons. Are we supposed to take this argument seriously?
My problem with premade stats is they're a waste of page space over something like another original and creative design.
A type of kobold that I wouldn't have thought of creating IS original and creative design. Not to mention that not all monsters have abilities derived from character classes, so, if all the game gave you was a level 1 kobold and advice on leveling him up, you'd be missing out on a lot of design space.

We can only hope. Gish are githyanki, whether people who misuse the term like it or not.
That's where the term originated. But now, a significant portion of gamers uses "gish" as a general term to mean fighter/mage. It has common acceptance in that meaning. Therefore it now means that, and is not being misused in that sense.

Remove ads