Fortune cards.

Noticed this as news on the main page.

Wizards Play Network Official Home Page

So it's D&D with new random collectible deck play....

Dungeoning the Dragoning?

EDIT: More info on the cards released.
Renau1g posted this link in the 4e forums about the cards:

Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game Official Home Page - Article (January and Beyond)

An exclusive to game stores, Fortune Cards provide a new, optional dynamic to the game. Here's how they work:
  • At the start of each encounter, shuffle your deck and draw a card.
  • You can play one card per round. It requires no action to play. The rules on each card state when you can play it and what effect it has. A card takes effect just once unless it states otherwise, and you discard the card when its effect ends.
  • You can have only one Fortune Card in your hand at a time. At the start of each of your turns, you can do one of the following:
    • Discard the card in your hand and draw a new one.
    • Draw a new card if you don't have one in your hand.
    • Keep the card that's in your hand if you haven't played it.

(The link then provides three examples of what the cards can do).

Last edited:

Ah, didn't see those.

Mods feel free to close this thread, please.

I will add, though, that though this is specific to 4th edition, it is a move that is frightening to me about D&D and its future as a whole...which I why I put my thread in the general, rather than 4e forums.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
I will add, though, that though this is specific to 4th edition, it is a move that is frightening to me about D&D and its future as a whole...which I why I put my thread in the general, rather than 4e forums.

I think it's a big F.U. to the 4E fanbase - or disrespectful at the very least. There's absolutely no reason to randomize these things - other than a profit motive.

If they weren't randomized, the cards may be pretty cool.

But using such a blatent money-grabbing tactic is just sad. How pathetic WotC has become....

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Since WotC started as a CCG company, I'm actually kind of impressed they waited this long to seriously introduce CCG elements into D&D since they took over.

Achan hiArusa

Explorer
Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

I shall and while you are exploring a 20 x 20 battlemap I and my gaming group will be exploring the wilds of creation telling a grand story about how a circle prevented the coming of the Ebon Dragon. Or my other group will explore Mythic Europe discovering the plots of vile Infernalists and discovering the Order are not the only ones proficient in magic.

Just think about that when a player pulls out that game-breaking rare. How's that for radical game balance?

Remove ads