Fortune cards.

delericho

Legend
There are many fun and interesting ways to incorporate (non-collectable) cards into an RPG. This is not one of those ways.

There is even a place for collectable cards: in one-off play. As with Gamma World boosters, at the start of the session, everyone has 1-3 unopened boosters. They open them at the table, and then create their characters based on the cards they get there.

There could even be a way to construct an RPG intended for short play (1-4 hours, no campaigns) based around cards. However, such a game would probably be most suitable for casual gamers, which makes collectable cards a poor fit.

However, there is no place for collectable cards in campaign play.

Dungeoneer

First Post
Would this work? I mean, from a business perspective. Say WotC does turn D&D into a CCG. Wouldn't it compete directly with their existing and successful Magic product? What would D&D the CCG bring to the table that MtG doesn't?

WHW4

First Post
I won't be buying them. I mean, is the end result any different than rolling randomly on a treasure table?

Maybe some people just like the physical act of picking something up and discovering what it is, with the card as a compact analogue to a Giant Battleaxe of Ridiculousness.

Speaking for myself, I'm already using my imagination heavily; I don't need the physical anchor to immerse myself even more. Miniatures are helpful for distances and relative positions in close quarters, and that's about as much prop as our group really enjoys using.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I shall and while you are exploring a 20 x 20 battlemap I and my gaming group will be exploring the wilds of creation telling a grand story about how a circle prevented the coming of the Ebon Dragon. Or my other group will explore Mythic Europe discovering the plots of vile Infernalists and discovering the Order are not the only ones proficient in magic.

Just think about that when a player pulls out that game-breaking rare. How's that for radical game balance?

Game-breaking Rare? Really? You've already got a look at all the Rare cards in the deck and know for a fact that they destroy the balance of the game? That's impressive. I suppose these cards must be on the power level of all those "game-breaking Daily powers" we heard so much about when the rumors of 4th Edition first started being bandied about several years ago.

And I hate to break it to you... but I've already explored the wilds of creation and told a grand story while using a 20 x 20 battlemat. It wasn't that hard to use one for the other because they aren't mutually exclusive.

Dire Bare

Legend
I think it's a big F.U. to the 4E fanbase - or disrespectful at the very least. There's absolutely no reason to randomize these things - other than a profit motive.

If they weren't randomized, the cards may be pretty cool.

But using such a blatent money-grabbing tactic is just sad. How pathetic WotC has become....

Disrespectful? *snort*

I understand that not everyone who is a fan of D&D will like this product, even those who love and play 4e. But the hyperbole, as usual, runs thick.

WotC out for profit?!?! How dastardly of a for-profit business to do that!

I personally think the cards are cool. My big worry is that they'd be bland looking like the power cards. But the previews seen so far seem good to me. I'll buy a few boosters in Feb, and if they tickle my fancy, I'll buy more. Or not, if they don't.

Either way, I'll chuckle as the latest disrespectful game-breaking attack on D&D fans by WotC actually doesn't break or destroy the game at all. As usual.

ferratus

Adventurer
Disrespectful? *snort*

I understand that not everyone who is a fan of D&D will like this product, even those who love and play 4e. But the hyperbole, as usual, runs thick.

Hyperbole and insults are generally what separates showing disapproval with a particular edition or rules innovation with out and out edition warring.

That and taking things way to personally. I find it amusing that the first response to any move WotC makes is that WotC is out to insult their customers or ruin their customer's joy. There are so many other benign reasons why WotC does what they do, such as "let's make this because I think it will sell" followed by "oops, that was a screw up."

I personally think the cards are cool. My big worry is that they'd be bland looking like the power cards. But the previews seen so far seem good to me. I'll buy a few boosters in Feb, and if they tickle my fancy, I'll buy more. Or not, if they don't.

I might be interested in them if they are a way to ditch the powers system all together. If I have something that affects minis play as an add-on to more classic D&D style of play, I might be interested in it for my fantasy heart breaker.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Actually, WotC started as an RPG company. The Primal Order was their first product.

Some history here and here.

Thanks for the links.

I'll clarify to say I still think it is pretty impressive that WotC resisted the temptation to add a CCG element to D&D for as long as they did considering they were able to purchase TSR with money they had made as the leaders in the CCG market with Pokemon and Magic:tG.

Remove ads