Fortune cards.

pukunui

Legend
I was actually thinking of getting some of the cards for my Pathfinder game. I know that the cards are designed for 4e so I'll have to make a few changes. Or maybe I can just buy a booster and design my own cards. I'm fairly decent with Publisher 2007 and created game cards for other stuff before.
Why not just get Paizo's Plot Twist Cards? They're actually made for Pathfinder (although they can apparently also be used with other games), and they have the added benefit of having actual RP effects instead of purely mechanical ones.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Ok, you win.

They are a great value.

You should buy the fortune cards. They made them just for you. :)

Hey, I have no intention of buying the Fortune Cards because I don't feel the need to have them. But I also don't decry them for making them.

Just because WotC produces items that some of us don't want or plan to use doesn't mean they're foolish for doing so or that they're f-ing with their customer base. They spent a whole heap of money producing pre-painted plastic miniatures for a whole new miniatures game back in 3.5 when they could have easily just made counters or tokens. And there were plenty of people who got all up in arms about it, enough so that quite a few 3PP companies produced counters and tokens themselves and did fairly well with it.

Does this mean that WotC shouldn't have bothered? I don't think so. And for the same reason, did WotC waste time and money producing Dungeon Tiles when we players already had wet and dry erase grid maps to accomplish the same thing? Again... I don't think so.

So why don't we all wait about six months to see how these Fortune Cards sell before declaring them to be a waste, huh? Because although you may not like them or want them does not automatically mean it was wrong to produce them.

Nagol

Unimportant
Why not just get Paizo's Plot Twist Cards? They're actually made for Pathfinder (although they can apparently also be used with other games), and they have the added benefit of having actual RP effects instead of purely mechanical ones.

I still prefer the more generic Whimsy Cards from Lion Rampant. Whimsy Cards has a list of the effects.

Neither collectible nor covered in art, the effects are usable across genre and game system and have held up well in play for a 15 years or so.

More info on these from WotC.

Renau1g posted this link in the 4e forums about the cards:

Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game Official Home Page - Article (January and Beyond)

An exclusive to game stores, Fortune Cards provide a new, optional dynamic to the game. Here's how they work:
  • At the start of each encounter, shuffle your deck and draw a card.
  • You can play one card per round. It requires no action to play. The rules on each card state when you can play it and what effect it has. A card takes effect just once unless it states otherwise, and you discard the card when its effect ends.
  • You can have only one Fortune Card in your hand at a time. At the start of each of your turns, you can do one of the following:
    • Discard the card in your hand and draw a new one.
    • Draw a new card if you don't have one in your hand.
    • Keep the card that's in your hand if you haven't played it.

(The link then provides three examples of what the cards can do).

NOTE: Editing OP with this info.

Last edited:

Dire Bare

Legend
Hey, I have no intention of buying the Fortune Cards because I don't feel the need to have them. But I also don't decry them for making them.

Just because WotC produces items that some of us don't want or plan to use doesn't mean they're foolish for doing so or that they're f-ing with their customer base. They spent a whole heap of money producing pre-painted plastic miniatures for a whole new miniatures game back in 3.5 when they could have easily just made counters or tokens. And there were plenty of people who got all up in arms about it, enough so that quite a few 3PP companies produced counters and tokens themselves and did fairly well with it.

Does this mean that WotC shouldn't have bothered? I don't think so. And for the same reason, did WotC waste time and money producing Dungeon Tiles when we players already had wet and dry erase grid maps to accomplish the same thing? Again... I don't think so.

So why don't we all wait about six months to see how these Fortune Cards sell before declaring them to be a waste, huh? Because although you may not like them or want them does not automatically mean it was wrong to produce them.

Can't give you more XP until I spread some more around, but I completely agree. I think it's ridiculous all the wailing and gnashing about what a "money grab" this is and how it's an "insult" to the fans.

Each time a new edition comes around, you hear how D&D is ending. When pre-painted miniatures came along, you heard it. And now you hear the same wailing over the Fortune Cards. Can't wait to see what the next thing is that is an "attack" on the true fans and will destroy D&D, except that it won't.

pedr

Explorer
So one of the free B&M store based WPN games now requires these cards after they are released? Is that what I am reading?
Players in D&D Encounters may use Fortune Cards, and will earn cards for playing. Fortune Cards are not required to play Encounters.

There are no other store-based WPN programmes at this time - Worldwide D&D Game Days are on a hiatus and LFR is not really a WPN programme any more - so the basics are that at the moment you can use the cards in all WPN programmes (i.e. Encounters) but the use of cards is not a requirement for play.

The marketing material for the cards says that use (and purchase?) of cards might be required in other WPN programmes, but until new programmes are announced it's not really worth worrying about!

Players in D&D Encounters may use Fortune Cards, and will earn cards for playing. Fortune Cards are not required to play Encounters.

<snip>

The marketing material for the cards says that use (and purchase?) of cards might be required in other WPN programmes, but until new programmes are announced it's not really worth worrying about!

(Emphasis added)

True, but here's WotC's relevant quote:

"For some Wizards Play Network programs aimed at experienced players, Fortune Card purchase will be a requirement to participate, but our broadly-appealing programs like D&D Encounters will feature their use without such a requirement."

WotC has said players will "purchase" (not use) and "will" be a requirement (not might be a requirement).

Last edited:

Krensky

First Post

I use them with Fantasy Craft. Had to adjust some things (namely skills and for the differences in the Disposition system) for the pure mechanical effect. The narrative theme functions like a 4 dice narrative control boon, or a 4 dice threat error activation if the player gives a good yarn. If I turn it down outright, they get a new card (which is the rule in the deck, if I recall). If they use the mechanical effect, they just get the effect. If they use the theme they get a XP bonus.

Worked out well so far.

Remove ads