• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E FR 4E SPOILER - Grand Histoy of the Realms info

catsclaw227

First Post
I noticed that Anauroch: The Empire of Shade is slated for a November 13th release, but even though it comes after Grand History of the Realms, it is not slated for a 4e upgrade. This is probably due to the fact that there is a 10 (or 100) year jump that will assumed for 4e FR.

Does anyone who has the book, show any mention of Anauroch near the end of the "current" year cycle? I wonder if the book is actually a region book or an adventure disguised as a region book like some of the other more recent ones, i.e. is it the last part of a trilogy starting with Cormyr: The Tearing of the Weave and then Shadowdale: The Scouring of the Land?

What canon was laid down in Corymr and Shadowdale that might have been described in Grand History?

Last edited:

Ghostwind

First Post
catsclaw227 said:
I noticed that Anauroch: The Empire of Shade is slated for a November 13th release, but even though it comes after Grand History of the Realms, it is not slated for a 4e upgrade. This is probably due to the fact that there is a 10 (or 100) year jump that will assumed for 4e FR.

Does anyone who has the book, show any mention of Anauroch near the end of the "current" year cycle? I wonder if the book is actually a region book or an adventure disquised as a region book like some of the other more recent ones, i.e. is it the last part of a trilogy starting with Cormyr: The Tearing of the Weave and then Shadowdale: The Scouring of the Land?

What canon was laid down in Corymr and Shadowdale that might have been described in Grand History?

It's the third book in the adventure trilogy.

catsclaw227

First Post
Understood. I should have been more specific, in that the names lead you to believe at a glance that they are regional books about parts of FR.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
catsclaw227 said:
Understood. I should have been more specific, in that the names lead you to believe at a glance that they are regional books about parts of FR.
True. The names can be somewhat misleading.

Banshee16

First Post
eiglos said:
You might like to know that before TSR bought the Forgotten Realms in Ed's original campaign there was no Weave. The god of Magic was a carefree deity who took the form of a Unicorn. She is still present in the Realms and for those that know their Realmslore it isn't difficult to find her :D.

So that's what Lurue's role was?

Banshee

The Little Raven

First Post
catsclaw227 said:

With Anauroch: Empire of Shade, I can see the confusion, but with the other two, I don't. The subtitles "The Tearing of the Weave" and "Scouring of the Land" both imply events (and with context, big events, as tearing the Weave is a huge deal, and scouring Elminster's hometown is pretty ballsy).

Riley

Legend
Supporter
Mourn said:
The subtitles "The Tearing of the Weave" and "Scouring of the Land" both imply events (and with context, big events, as tearing the Weave is a huge deal, and scouring Elminster's hometown is pretty ballsy).

The original/alternate title for this third adventure was Anauroch: The Sundering of the World.

That's a ballsy title that'd be hard to deliver on in 160 pages. Of course, it'd be more appropriate to the Realms to leave the big events to off-stage Named Persons, rather than let the PC's have any role in any Realms-Shaking Events.

Still, I'm hoping for the best on this one. Given that Anauroch is the remnant of old Netheril, and that Netheril is on its way back (Did I get those two right? I'm only a passing fan of the Realms), maybe the players can play a role in one of the two big events of the 4e transition.

Last edited:

MattDroz

First Post
catsclaw227 said:
Page 156: 1374 Elient 6: Adventurers in the service of Mystra root out a false temple to the goddess in Wheloon, Cormyr. Their investigations reveal that followers of both Shar and Cyric are using the temple as a front to kidnap spellcasters and bring them into the Vast Swamp.

That is the first mention of what happens in Cormyr. There are a couple more entries for the events of Cormyr and Shadowdale,

As for Anauroch, I don't see much in the Grand History that centers around the area, but I expect it to be more earth-shaking than the other stuff that has already happened.

ALSO, just got The Orc King by Salvatore. The bulk of the book deals with Drizzt & the companions dealing with King Obould and his plans for the area, but the Prologue was VERY interesting in that it's set around 1475, 100 years from current storylines.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads