• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Frankencow wants revenge!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The article carefully neglects to mention how common injury by farm animals is normally.

Janx

Hero
The article carefully neglects to mention how common injury by farm animals is normally.

I've never been kicked or injured by a farm animal (to be clear, I've lived on farms, herded cows, help castrate pigs, ridden horses)

though my friend did get his arm impaled by a deer antler. That kind of stung.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I've never been kicked or injured by a farm animal (to be clear, I've lived on farms, herded cows, help castrate pigs, ridden horses)

My wife is a veterinarian. In school, when working on bulls, they required two students to go into the stall when treatments were done. Going in alone was forbidden. As in seriously, "You'll be kicked out of school," forbidden. This was not because the second person would be able to render any aid to the first should something happen (an unarmed human can do nothing against a half-ton of angry pot roast), but simply so someone would get out and know to call the ambulance/coroner.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
This is one of the reasons why I live in the city and the only animal I'll let get close to me is Mordecai.

Janx

Hero
My wife is a veterinarian. In school, when working on bulls, they required two students to go into the stall when treatments were done. Going in alone was forbidden. As in seriously, "You'll be kicked out of school," forbidden. This was not because the second person would be able to render any aid to the first should something happen (an unarmed human can do nothing against a half-ton of angry pot roast), but simply so someone would get out and know to call the ambulance/coroner.

I don't disagree with that. Merely that it's neither common, nor uncommon. Its circumstantial. Getting in the same room as a bull or riding a bull is dangerous as heck. Walking through the cow pasture to fix the fence is not.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I don't disagree with that. Merely that it's neither common, nor uncommon. Its circumstantial.

Yes, but in that sense, everything in the universe is "circumstantial". Strangely, we speak about commonality, reagardless.

It seems to me that when you have millions of people on farms and working with animals around the world, we can, statistically, start talking about how common it is.

Janx

Hero
Yes, but in that sense, everything in the universe is "circumstantial". Strangely, we speak about commonality, reagardless.

It seems to me that when you have millions of people on farms and working with animals around the world, we can, statistically, start talking about how common it is.

Is your goal to win some argument? You can have your point and still give me mine. You know about vets. I know about farms. they're not the same thing.

Working with individual animals is dangerous. Since vets work with individual animals, it is why being a vet means you can get hurt more often.

Being a farmer is less dangerous, except when you are working with individual animals (to give them shots, castrate, etc). And tranq darts are the tool of the trade for dealing with adult animals in those cases for that very reason, that and cattle chutes.

Since that's not a regular thing, the statistical probability of farmer being injured is lower than a vet as EVERY animal vet deals with is on an individual basis.

In all probability, Frankencow, being a science experiment, was being dealt with in an individual, vet-like setting. As opposed to that cow over there in the herd inside this 20 acre field that is fenced in.

I ain't saying being a farmer is safe. But it's a lot safer than being a vet with regards to getting hurt by farm animals.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Is your goal to win some argument?

No. Just pointing out that "...it's neither common, nor uncommon. Its circumstantial," is rather like saying, "useful statistics cannot be drawn," which I believe to be flatly incorrect.

Remove ads