• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Free D&D 5E Monster A Day PDF On Reddit

The quality of this resource is AMAZING! It shames many other third-party products. I would have paid for this level of editing, really. Our group will definitely use it :) Thanks!

The quality of this resource is AMAZING! It shames many other third-party products. I would have paid for this level of editing, really. Our group will definitely use it :)

Thanks!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Also, failure to defend a copyrighted work reduces your ability to protect it in future cases -- even to the point of losing the ability to protect it at all, so the image owners have an interest in protecting their works even if there's no chance of damages.
!

One thing that many folks mistake this for though is that "defend" doesn't mean "sue". It means "don't abandon". A polite email asking for correct acknowledgement counts. There's nothing that forces companies to sue people.

Not that I'm saying that's always an appropriate response; but it is a valid response.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
One thing that many folks mistake this for though is that "defend" doesn't mean "sue". It means "don't abandon". A polite email asking for correct acknowledgement counts. There's nothing that forces companies to sue people.

Not that I'm saying that's always an appropriate response; but it is a valid response.

Yes, very true.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yes, very true.

It's something that's always bugged me a little. When armchair lawyers proclaims that a company *had* to sue or lose their IP. They never *have* to sue; they choose to sue (well, to be fair, they very rarely do that). They can do a thousand other friendly things rather than sue and still be excellent custodians of their IP.

Hussar

Legend
Since they do credit the artists quite prominently in most of the pages, they're at least trying to be aboveboard about it. Would that be enough to count as protecting the IP? Might not stop someone from saying, "Hey, please remove that, I don't want you using my art", but, it does protect the artist no?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Since they do credit the artists quite prominently in most of the pages, they're at least trying to be aboveboard about it. Would that be enough to count as protecting the IP? Might not stop someone from saying, "Hey, please remove that, I don't want you using my art", but, it does protect the artist no?

No, the IP owner has to protect their own IP.

S

Sunseeker

Isn't that the sorcerer from Pathfinder?

The sorcerer is explicitly art of one of Pathfinder's main characters, Seoni.

@Jester Canuck It is by Federico Musetti, who on the image itsself (http://federicomusetti.deviantart.com/art/Seoni-fan-art-348882356), says that it was not used by Pathfinder, which means control of the image is mostly with him, so you'd have to ask him if he gave permission to use it for something else (which I suspect might be an area of tricky legality).

FYI: that literally took me 10 seconds to find the creator.

The sorcerer is explicitly art of one of Pathfinder's main characters, Seoni.

@Jester Canuck It is by Federico Musetti, who on the image itsself (http://federicomusetti.deviantart.com/art/Seoni-fan-art-348882356), says that it was not used by Pathfinder, which means control of the image is mostly with him, so you'd have to ask him if he gave permission to use it for something else (which I suspect might be an area of tricky legality).

FYI: that literally took me 10 seconds to find the creator.

The link to his DA site does not appear to be Creative Commons. It usually says so at the very bottom right if you scroll down far enough. So it's used w/o permission from the creator.

Nebulous

Legend
what an amazing little book. I don't understand how all that art is being utilized, but this is what i would have wanted from an official MM2.

Remove ads

Remove ads