• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Frenzied Berserker+Exotic Weapon Master+ Barbarian= broken?

Tidus4444

First Post
I was just thinking how much damage the Exotic Weapon Master's Uncanny Blow can deal. X2 strength modifier is pretty huge no matter what weapon you're wielding. Consider how much strength a Half-Orc 1 Barbarian/5 Fighter/1 Exotic Weapon Master/ 3 Frenzied Berserker can have:
18 (natural)
2 (race)
2 (levels)
4 (stat increasing item)
4 (rage)
6 (Frenzy)
for a total of 36 strength! That's +26 damage on every single attack this character makes. So, assuming a +3 Bastard Sword, Weapon Specilization Bastard Sword, we get 1d10+31 damage per hit. Thanks to the extremely high strength this character has, his attack bonus is also excellent. +10/+5 to start with. Add a +13 strength modifier for +23/+17. The weapon brings it up to +26/+21. Focus gives it +27/+22. And Frenzy grants you an extra attack at highest AB, granting you +27/+27/+22. The vast majority of CR 10 monsters won't even come close to 27 AC. Those two early ones practically automatically hit, with the last one hitting the majority of the time. If all 3 attacks hit, you've got a grand total of 108 damage per round. Not even rogues sneak attacking every round can approach that kind of damage at level 10.

Last edited:

ThirdWizard

First Post
It sounds nice, until all that damage is coming down on the other PCs. Recipie for death: Trap deaing damage + failed Will Save = dead other PC and possibly more. Especially after stacking all those Good Fortitude/Bad Will save classes together!

Last edited:

The Souljourner

First Post
Frenzied Berserker all on it's own is either really broken if you can get around the whole "attack your party whenever you stub your toe" drawback, or really unplayable if you can't.

Either way, it's not something I'd ever want someone to take if I were in a party with them.

-The Souljourner

ThirdWizard

First Post
Oh yeah, and its really abusable by the DM for NPCs when the drawback doesn't really matter so much. Really really abusable. So far I've resisted temptation.

rkanodia

First Post
A Frenzied Berzerker probably wouldn't make a good leader on a large scale, but a small mercenary army could work well for him, especially one that is self-renewing in some way. He'd even enjoy just gratuitously killing his own men on occaision. A bunch of low-level minions (using spells without saving throws or minor magical items that allow them to make some non-trivial contribution to combat - or even just using Aid Another) plus a couple of trolls might make a good combat group for him. The trolls are used to getting hacked up by him, and there are plenty more mooks waiting at the base.

Tidus4444

First Post
It's pretty easy to get past the will save thing, I think. Since my will save is so abysmal, you only need a friendly divine or arcane caster with good DCs to help you out. Have them ready an action to cast either calm emotions or hold person on you as soon as the last enemy is defeated- your will save is so horrible you'll almost never make the save (especially since the arcane caster in my case took the vow of peace and has cha up the wazoo- DC 26 will save on hold monster).

And even without the Frenzied Berserker, the EWM's ability is overpowered. Without the Frenzy, you're only down to +23/+17 BAB and 1d10+25 damage, which is still pretty good. And those three levels of Frenzied Berserker could be used on some other class. I don't have my Complete Warrior in front of me, but I imagine another PrC could help make up the difference. Furthermore, if your DM uses the 3.0 versions of the animal buffing spells (most of the DMs I've played for have done this- your mileage may vary), that's around +4 strength right there, more if your friend empowers the spells. And the boots of haste can make up for the loss of the extra attack (in addition to remedying your AC problem somewhat). A level 10 character can have +3 Full Plate, +2 Bastard Sword (yes, I know a downgrade, adjust accordingly), Boots of Haste, and Belt of Giant's Strength +4 with 4k gp to spare.

Last edited:

Egres

First Post
If you really want massive damage without the FB drawbacks try the Weretouched master with the bear hybrid form.

Remove ads