• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Friday Brush with Celebrity

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I once played tennis with the baseball legend Ted Williams. Mind you, I was six at the time; my grandfather was his tennis partner in Islamorada Florida, where Williams vacationed, and he arranged a half-assed doubles match for my sister and me. My sister remembers Williams missing a shot in a later game, losing his temper, and smashing his racket into the ground.

And of course, my Dad used to go to the same dentist as Princess Grace of Monaco. but everyone knows that.

Other sitings have been slim; an elevator ride with Isaac Asimov, seeing Steven Seagal in a restaurant, that sort of thing. Nowhere near as cool as the Paul Stanley encounter!

More recently, my cousin is married to Dennis Hopper. I only tend to see them at funerals, but he seems like a nice guy.

[sblock=Photo]
dennis_hopper22.jpg
[/sblock]

kenobi65

First Post
Piratecat said:
More recently, my cousin is married to Dennis Hopper.

A friend of mine is an elementary-school teacher in the L.A. area, and teaches at a private school popular with celebrities. Several years ago, he had one of Dennis Hopper's kids (and, thus, one of your cousin's kids) in his class.

Spooooooky.... :D

Edit: after looking up Dennis on IMDB, I see that, while he's been married to Piratecat's cousin (Victoria Duffy) since 1996, their only child is only 3. Thus, my friend taught Piratecat's cousin's stepchild.

Last edited:

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
Piratecat said:
an elevator ride with Isaac Asimov
That, by itself, would have made my millenium. Wow!

The celebrity I've been most impressed with in person is Tom Stoppard. He visited the bookshop I used to manage, and when he walked in the door, there was almost a supernatural aura of intelligence about him that I could physically sense - I kid you not. (And that was before I knew for sure who he was.) I've never met anyone else like that, and I've never been as tongue-tied as during that encounter. Very intense.

bento

Explorer
I ran into Lyle Lovitt while walking in downtown Fort Worth about five years ago. My wife was looking down at our baby daughter at the time, and after he passed I told her who just walked by. She could have killed me for not mentioning it sooner! :p

I've met Tennessee Earnie Ford at a state park in Arkansas. I ran into televangelist James Robinson in Target (he was shopping for a panama hat).

I've had lunch with George Perez (he likes cafeterias), went to see the movie "2010" with Steve (the dude) Rude - artist for Nexus, and played host to Dave Cockrum, Bill Sienkewicz, Jerry Ordway, Paul Smith, Sergio Argones and Tim Truman when I managed a comic book store.

My wife's sister's husband's sister is married to "Mr. Belvadere."

My mom's 7th grade history teacher was Bob Barker's mom.

I was on a plane with Michael Irvin, former receiver with the Dallas Cowboys. I didn't sit near him but some co-workers did and said he was on the sky phone most of the time.

I hadn't run into Kevin Bacon though. :(

I got to do set-up and run sound for Speech of Arrested Development and his cousin (who's name I forget) that was the bald black guy on the movie version of "Clueless" (not the guy that died from the TV show. Nice guy, really friendly, he candidly jokes about his 'kill all the white people days.' (I am very white for those of you that have never met me.)

I've gotten to work professional with quite a few folks that I am actually not able to talk about (which stinks). Oh and Danny, I loved Shark Island.."We're bad, for each other, its sad, but its true...."

I think its kind of neat when you sit down and start talking as to who you've gotten to meet in your life. What's even better is realizing that all of these people are just people when you strat telling stories. "Oh you should have seen it, Madonna was acting all high and mighty and then she broke a heel..." (That didn't actually happen btw.)

Fiery James

First Post
diaglo said:
and i dumped Klaus/Claudio at your doorstep last Gen Con. ;)

(Yeah, but that was three degrees of Claudio's revisited dinner, and I do my best not to bring it up again... Get it? Bring it up again? Like he did with his dinner?)

:) Ah, the memories.

- JB

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads