• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

From humble beginnings...

Manzanita

First Post
manzanita mutters

We've got to get out of this stinking town..

She drinks the remnants given to her in one gulp

I say we split town now. Horses are probably a good idea if we can get them for a fair price. Are you interested in accompanying M'faro, Grenier? I might see if I can pick up more route info downstairs while you're gone.

Garik

Banned
Banned
To Clete

Garik eyes Clete warily, a perturbing gesture given his intense nature and the fact that his eyes are the only thing that shows when in public. With his thick western accent, he replies.

"I be trusting him enough to have faith that the mission is just. If it were not, I would not be here. Other than that, I will not say."

Garik scans the room and at this point you notice that the bar has been opened to regular patrons and all seem to avoid his gaze.

The barman comes by and you order a drink and when he asks Garik if there's anything he can do, Garik says:

"Good midday to you, Mr. Bluffer. I will have a boiled water, if you please."

To which the barman gives him an odd look and seems about to say something before shaking his head and then happily replying that he'd be glad to.

With his back against the bar, facing out towards the tavern, he taps you on the shoulder and points at the old man you spoke to earlier.

"Is that not the man you spoke of before? Should you not tell him of the decision?"

Grenier

First Post
Grenier downs the concoctions, holding his nose whilst doing so.

"Yeah sure, I'll come with you M'faro... We should take the weapons permit just in case."

He says with a smirk. Grenier will then ask Garik for the permit and then head off with M'faro.

OOC: Sorry about the lack of posting, I couldn't get to the boards recently and I've been a lil' busy of late (uni starting soon).

M'faro

First Post
Well said Grenier, we don't want any trouble with the town guard...

Then, you do the talking and I check on the horses ( OCC: I use Handle Animal )... I don't think we can get anything better than what those town guards have... The best horses are not here, for sure....

Manzanita

First Post
Manzanita will go downstairs. She nods to Clete & Garik, but goes her own way. She'll spend the next couple hours, or until when Grenier & M'faro return, gathering information. She's interested in any advice on travel to critwall. She is careful not to reveal that the group has already decided which route to take. She's interested in how to avoid, combat the potential adversaries mentioned (trogdelites & gibberlings?), as well as things to be wary of in Critwall proper. She won't spend any gold beyond the 1gp/hour.

M'faro

First Post
Maybe if we don't find enough horses, there's the posibility of buying a cart or wagon. What do you think?

Last edited:

Narrator

Banned
Banned
To Grenier, M'faro and Manzanita

Before any of you even reach the doorway, you feel a strange, numbing sensation overcome you. M'faro is the first to notice a blurring of vision but Manzanita and Grenier soon follow after.

As you speak, you all notice your speech becomes thick and your heads become heavier, so much heavier, until they droop down. You try to lift your heads but it's simply too much effort; like being caught in molasses.

You all then begin drifting off into a deep, deep sleep.

DM: Geez... that was easy... your characters have been knocked out by the 'tonic' and won't wake up for quite some time. As soon as John lets me know what Clete is doing for the rest of the day, I'll post what happens next... hehe...

Clete

Banned
Banned
"Yes, I'd better tell him we cannot help"

Clete goes towards the old man.

"Sir, my humble apologies, but my companions and I are travelling in the opposite direction and cannot check on your niece. Don't worry, I'm sure nothing's happened to her. Good day."

Narrator

Banned
Banned
The Old Man

As the old man listens to your words, you see him visibly deflate and his eyes sink to the ground. He suddenly looks much older than he did before.

"I... unner'stan. Maybe the mail'll come through soon..."

He says, to your departing back.

Narrator

Banned
Banned
13th of Planting, Earthday. 4am.

Manzanita, Grenier and M'faro wake up during the night with sore necks and aching backs. Grenier is now also covered in red splotches and Manzanita unconsciously itches her arms.

It looks to be close to dawn.

Clete is still sound asleep, as is Garik.

Whatever was in that tonic, it hasn't helped ease even the symptoms of the disease.

Judging by the darkness outside, it's a cloudy but relatively warm day. No rain to speak of and none since M'faro's dire prediction.

Remove ads