• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Frostburn: To buy or not to buy?

Xath

Moder-gator
I agree that Snowflake Wardance is a stupid name for a feat. But it doesn't mean I don't want to take it for my bard. I'll probably look through it when it comes out and pick it up if i'm going to use any of it.

Which is just another way of saying I don't know whether I want to buy it or not.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
vtaltos said:
I'm very curious to know if Crouching Snowfake or whatever stacks with Weapon Finesse. Bet not :(

Well, that depends on if you can find a one-handed slashing weapon that is usable with Weapon Finesse.

The only ways I can think of would be the scimitar, *if* said bard happened to have levels in Dervish from CW, or katana with the Iaijutsu Master (who can use WF with the Katana, which is, after the expenditure of an EWP feat, a one-handed slashing weapon).

Brad

Olive

Explorer
Ogrork the Mighty said:
IIRC, WotC stated they would do no more soft covers - hardcovers only. I don't know if that still stands since they're getting back into adventures. But that's why what should probably have been a softcover, is now a hard cover.

As MerricB pointed out, at 224 pages, it was never going to be a softcover. But WotC are going to be producing sftcovers again, for d20 Modern, like D20 Past

Redsky

First Post
I know one of the creators of this book and I did some play testing. I must say I think that it is a very helpful supplement to adventuring in this type of harsh environment. Also I think it would make for a wild homebrew campaign setting.
I am shocked at the negativity I am hearing here. I would think you all may want to wait until it is released and actually read it before you pass judgement.
I think you also might be pleasantly surprised at how good some of it really is and how much flavor it can add to a campaign.

soulcat

First Post
I intend to buy Frostburn, and the release for next year Sandstorm.

The reason? I run a campaigns using only WOTC material, and want to give my players as many options as possible, so I buy everything that is released for D&D core, and forgotten realms.

I have to admit i wasn't completely enamoured by the frostburn book to begin with, but having read the 10 reasons article, and spoken to my players about it, I think it could be worth having.

I was originally sceptical about Savage Species, but after buying it have had loads of ideas for bew characters! :D

Trickstergod

First Post
Redsky said:
I know one of the creators of this book and I did some play testing. I must say I think that it is a very helpful supplement to adventuring in this type of harsh environment. Also I think it would make for a wild homebrew campaign setting.
I am shocked at the negativity I am hearing here. I would think you all may want to wait until it is released and actually read it before you pass judgement.
I think you also might be pleasantly surprised at how good some of it really is and how much flavor it can add to a campaign.

Of course, the true quality of a book can't be judged by anybody until they've read it for themselves.

With that said, advertising helps one gauge whether to bother looking in the first place - or possibly for placing a preorder, which it seems many folk do. Not to mention that it can be problematic at times to extensively read every book you might buy ahead of time, for the simple multitude of books out that one might be interested in.

The negativity is being directed at the books advertising which, as many have thus far have opined, is abysmal. If the book is so good, the top ten list of reasons to buy it should be changed and fast. On the other hand, if the things being advertised are the best things it has to offer, there's every reason for the negativity, as I see it.

Aeolius

Adventurer
Redsky said:
...I think that it is a very helpful supplement to adventuring in this type of harsh environment. Also I think it would make for a wild homebrew campaign setting.

I only wish it had been released around 1995-98, when I was running my "Into the Land of Black Ice" campaign. Granted, LoBI was a 1e AD&D adventure. I am still holding out hope for "Crosstides"; an aquatic/subaqueous environmental supplement in the same vein as Frostburn and Sandstorm.

VirgilCaine

First Post
Mystery Man said:
Snowflake dance of the who?

Is this book out on the shelves yet?

The Britons! We are all Britons, and I am your Snowflake Dancer!

I only wish it had been released around 1995-98, when I was running my "Into the Land of Black Ice" campaign. Granted, LoBI was a 1e AD&D adventure.

Gee, I wish WotC would release a cool sounding adventure like that nowadays.

As for Frostburn, I don't really need more cold-themed or sorta-kinda-not-really-cold-themed crunch anyway. I have enough as it is, just from finding stuff online.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads