• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Full str to off hand?

Drakeskull

First Post
I was thinking of making a feat that allows full str bonus to off hand attacks but im not sure what kinda prerequisites it should have and if there is something to a similar effect already out there.

Hawken

First Post
I read about something like this effect but cannot remember where. It was a variant of Ambidexterity for 3.5 (since the original Ambidexterity was done away with). It allowed the user to get their full strength bonus for off-hand attacks.

I'm not sure what the requirements were, if any, but keeping it at Dexterity 15+ is reasonable. I'm not sure why that, but it would make sense that if someone had that much coordination and proficiency with their off-hand, that it would be as effective as their primary hand.

dwayne

Adventurer
The name of the feat is off hand weapon expert and it is located in the quintessential fighter book from mongoose publishing. But I think they put all of there feats in the ultimate feat book that’s been updated to 3.5.

Ferret

Explorer
What I would do is make a feat that allows to use full strength in either, then another to use both at the same time. I'm not sure if that sounds too harsh (it does to me), but it also seems fair. If you go with just one feat I would go with a prerequest of 12 str and 15 dex.

iwatt

First Post
if you run the numbers, you'll notice that this style (allowing 100% off-hand) is still behind THF, and this is using 2 feats. IMC I allow 100% off-hand (lazy players who have trouble keeping two different modifiers in their heasd ;) ) just with TWF. Unless the TWF can get his strength up to the higher 30's TWF is always behind THF in damage output. Sword and Board is very good IMC as well because I don't allow Animated shields (very munchkinny and I hate the visual). IMO, animated shielsd should be artifacts :(

But really, TWf with 100% offhand strength is not a scary prospect, specially if you run point buy (TWF---high dex, not as easy to get uber-strength).

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
iwatt said:
iBut really, TWf with 100% offhand strength is not a scary prospect, specially if you run point buy (TWF---high dex, not as easy to get uber-strength).

I'd say this is why it'd be balanced at a single feat. It would require a high Dex, for the TWF, and then a high Str in order for taking the feat to be practical.

If you're simply comparing plain attacks, yes, TWF lurks far behind THF. Problem is, there are a lot of special effects and sources of damage that apply once per attack-- with extra attacks gaining more of this extra damage.

iwatt

First Post
Korimyr the Rat said:
I'd say this is why it'd be balanced at a single feat. It would require a high Dex, for the TWF, and then a high Str in order for taking the feat to be practical.

If you're simply comparing plain attacks, yes, TWF lurks far behind THF. Problem is, there are a lot of special effects and sources of damage that apply once per attack-- with extra attacks gaining more of this extra damage.

Yup, but the most fearsome of all, Sneak Attack, is ususally tied in to PCs with strength scores in the normal range. Rogues don't do damage through strength. A +1 to dmg (14-16 Str) is not going to break the game. Currently I just give it away with TWF. The basis is that rogues don't usually have that high a strength (other priorities) and rangers benefit the most if they go all out on strength (common but not allways true). Also, they're low AC unless they use up feats and normal HPs.

But the current game I'm running has a werebear ranger with TWF, and he still doesn't outstrip the Barbarian with the Greatsword in damage output. 3.5 P.A. and Shock Trooper is just too good. :D Maybe this will change in the future as he keeps gaining more strength from taking bear levels, but I doubt it. The Barbarian can always lay the hurt.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads