FURIOSA : A MAD MAX SAGA | OFFICIAL TRAILER #1

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Very excited for this! Fury Road is an astonishingly good movie on multiple levels.

Of the original trilogy, though The Road Warrior is probably the signature movie, I like Mad Max most. The way it shows people clinging to the last structures of pre-apocalyptic society in the face of its collapse feels the most...I don't know if accurate is the right word, but I'll use it.
The crazy thing about the first Mad Max is...it wasn't written or filmed as a post-apocalypse, just a low budget cop movie with a quirky design aesthetic. The post-apocalypse angle is an idea Miller took from the critical reaction after the film was screened.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Honestly this is a really bad time for dystopia movies
I gotta disagree with you here, too.

the real world is feeling pretty dystopian already,
That's when dystopian movies are at their best. They're a WARNING. I mean, did you miss that Road Warrior came out in the 80's as a warning about the threat of Nuclear Armageddon?

between this and the Fallout series I could use an optimistic hopeful series like a Star Ship Mage series.
Hopeful stuff is good TOO, but not instead of.

I gotta disagree with you here, too.

That's when dystopian movies are at their best. They're a WARNING. I mean, did you miss that Road Warrior came out in the 80's as a warning about the threat of Nuclear Armageddon?

Hopeful stuff is good TOO, but not instead of.

I think folks don't need a warning when it's apart of their day to day lives, what they need is escapism from their misery.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I think folks don't need a warning when it's apart of their day to day lives, what they need is escapism from their misery.
If you don't remember when the threat of Nuclear Armageddon was part of your day to day life, I don't know why you'd be a fan of Beyond Thunderdome. It was never a warning to the individual person - it's a warning to society as a whole.

And we live in the era of the most escapism ever, so I think you're covered.

All that said, you're absolutely free to NOT SEE this movie. Me, I will find it the best kind of escapism ever: Rock and Roll and Explosions!

If you don't remember when the threat of Nuclear Armageddon was part of your day to day life, I don't know why you'd be a fan of Beyond Thunderdome. It was never a warning to the individual person - it's a warning to society as a whole.

All that said, you're absolutely free to NOT SEE this movie. Me, I will find it the best kind of escapism ever: Rock and Roll and Explosions!

The threat was there, but day to day living wasn't dystopian already, it was just this thing in the back of your mind, but didn't really effect day to day life much.

Compared that to the 2020s it's no contest which is more Dystopian, back in the 80s folks were still mostly optimistic, it's why so many folks are nostogic for it and the 1990s, even young folks who didn't live through them like Gen Y and Zed.

Compared to now a vague sense of possible, but unlikely nuclear war that largely didn't intrude on day to day life would be a relief compared to the day to day nightmares young people face today. Time in the 1980s would be a vacation for most young people.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)

ALL of this.

I remember a big drop off in post-apoc content and gaming after the Cold War ended, when nuclear armageddon stopped being an ever-present worry and neurosis.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The threat was there, but day to day living wasn't dystopian already, it was just this thing in the back of your mind, but didn't really effect day to day life much.

Compared that to the 2020s it's no contest which is more Dystopian, back in the 80s folks were still mostly optimistic, it's why so many folks are nostogic for it and the 1990s, even young folks who didn't live through them like Gen Y and Zed.

Compared to now a vague sense of possible, but unlikely nuclear war that largely didn't intrude on day to day life would be a relief compared to the day to day nightmares young people face today. Time in the 1980s would be a vacation for most young people.
Don't get me wrong - there absolutely were some things that I would consider much better about the 80's than now, but there were also many things that were much, much worse. In particular if you didn't fit into ruling cultural norms.

I'll grant you that many kids would be better off with a Walkman down in the park with their skateboard buddies rather than at home socially isolated while posting on Instagram, though!

Parmandur

Book-Friend

Dude, I barely got out of diapers in the 80's, and when I know this isn't true.

Remove ads