FURIOSA : A MAD MAX SAGA | OFFICIAL TRAILER #1

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
The threat was there, but day to day living wasn't dystopian already, it was just this thing in the back of your mind, but didn't really effect day to day life much.

Compared that to the 2020s it's no contest which is more Dystopian, back in the 80s folks were still mostly optimistic, it's why so many folks are nostogic for it and the 1990s, even young folks who didn't live through them like Gen Y and Zed.

Compared to now a vague sense of possible, but unlikely nuclear war that largely didn't intrude on day to day life would be a relief compared to the day to day nightmares young people face today. Time in the 1980s would be a vacation for most young people.
So you dont remember the oil panic, panic buying of fuel and proposals for carless days? Then there was the school drills for nuclear fallout, massive spike in plane hijacks, drive-by-shootings in compton and the war on drugs, not to mention the 80s fiscal crisis

Clint_L

Hero
Better then Thunder Dome? No way.

Tina Turner was awesome.
Everyone is entitled to their opinions.

In my subjective opinion, Thunderdome is a ponderous, barely watchable mess, and while I love Tina Turner as a musical artist, her performance as Auntie Entity (cool character name) is cringe-inducing. Fury Road is an action masterpiece.

pukunui

Legend
Yes, its the back story of how the young Furiosa (chalize Therons character in Fury Road) became the Imperator serving Immortan Joe
Wasn’t some / all of that covered in a comic series?

I’ll admit I’ve never seen Thunderdome. The first Mad Max hasn’t aged well, but Road Warrior was great. (That’s the one with the canyon formed from a skyscraper-lined city street, right?) Fury Road is hands down the best Mad Max movie, and I am fine with Anya Taylor-Joy playing a younger version of Furiosa.

EDIT: I take that back. I have seen Thunderdome, because that’s the one that has the ruins of Sydney in it.

Last edited:

The crazy thing about the first Mad Max is...it wasn't written or filmed as a post-apocalypse, just a low budget cop movie with a quirky design aesthetic. The post-apocalypse angle is an idea Miller took from the critical reaction after the film was screened.

Fascinating. A lot of the first movie was shaped by that low budget, guerilla filmmaking.

Scribe

Legend
So you dont remember the oil panic, panic buying of fuel and proposals for carless days? Then there was the school drills for nuclear fallout, massive spike in plane hijacks, drive-by-shootings in compton and the war on drugs, not to mention the 80s fiscal crisis

Growing up in Canada?

No, I dont. Not a single bit of that, because I wasnt plugged into an outrage globalization machine being bombarded 24/7. ;)

Remove ads