D&D 5E Future playtest adventures

Bluenose

Adventurer
Although I don't entirely disagree with people calling for a wilderness sandbox, I think there's something to be said for a more urban, investigative adventure too. I remember a rather good one from Dragon magazine, set in Specularum, Nests and Nations I think was the name. Lots of plotting, investigation, deal-making with different groups, and a few fights. Quite a long adventure too, took us several sessions to play and we didn't meet all the groups involved. See how/whether the rules can handle something a bit different.

Rydac

Explorer
Given the second packet had a brand new original adventure tied to the ongoing Drow story in the Realms and precursor to the 4e-5e changeover, the next packet might continue that story with a big Drow adventure. Possibly with Menzoberranzan ties.

You could be right, but I hope not....I've been running the Drow storyline running through the last two seasons of the Encounters program...and part 3 of more Drow starts in a couple of weeks. I like the Drow, but I'm more than a bit tired of them at this point. I'm all in favor of sandboxey.

WoTC is reprinting in a bound hardback version next spring The Slavers series A1-4 and the S1-4 dungeons of dread, so I bet we don't see those adventures in the playtest :(

I wonder if the two named magic items from the October 8 Legends and Lore article give us any clue. A short sword named Pontus (allows waterbreathing) and a Longsword named Fimbric (detects precious metal + featherfall). Anyone recall these from an old adventure?

I wish we could get permission to convert ZEITGEIST to D&D Next. Or even get the OK to write a quickie adventure using the existing stats. At Gen Con I basically used D&D Next for the one-shot I ran, and just winged stats for aboleth, water archon pirates, and musketeers.

Given the discussion, Isle of Dread would certainly be a great choice for a wilderness sandbox with town and dungeon excursions.

Or how about X4-X5 ... Master of the Desert Nomads/Temple of Death? It's less sandboxy and more quest-focused, but has a good variety of adventure sites.

Remove ads