Galatea, Goddess of Water

Rystil Arden

First Post
Galatea, Goddess of the Waters
The Blue Lady, The Dolphin Queen, The Azure Calm, The Soothing Mist, The Flow that Connects us All

Enworldian Greater Deity
Symbol: A gentle drop of water that becomes a mighty ocean as it falls
Home Plane: ???
Alignment: Neutral Good
Portfolio: Water, Oceans, Serenity, Gentle Sea Creatures, Commonality of all People and Animals, Soothing Healing, Calm Change that is not Radical
Worshippers: Merfolk and other Good-aligned aquatic races, Intelligent sea animals, Nymphs, Fisherman, those praying for bountiful water or rain
Cleric Alignments: Lawful Good, Neutral Good, Chaotic Good
Domains: Water, Good, Weather, Healing, Animal
Favoured Weapon: Snare of Morpheus(a Net that puts her enemies into a peaceful slumber), Harpoon of Proteus (a Shortspear that has a strange sapphire at the end instead of a metal tip. The sapphire transforms those it touches)

Galatea is an ancient goddess composed entirely of water. Her true form is completely liquid, though she often shapes herself in the form of a female entity made of water. She also enjoys taking the shape of a dolphin, a mermaid, a sea elf, a human, or an elf, always female. Her form shifts fluidly like the water of which she is made.

Galatea promotes peace among intelligent beings, and her texts teach tolerance of those who are different. The sacred texts hearken back to long ago, when they claim that there was no land on ENWorld, and everything was water. Then when land appeared, creatures began to learn how to walk on land and changed, all from a common source in the water. Even later, some land animals returned to the water and became dolphins. Because they are such perfect examples of Galatea's philosophy, the dolphins are her favourite from among her many animal friends. Galatea also points out that all living creatures share the fact that they are mostly composed of water, and so the water within us all forms a bond of kinship and harmony.

Galatea's clerics are more likely to be diplomats or healers than warriors, but some strive to defeat unnatural beings, which Galatea believes are blights in a land of peace. She particularly despises aberrations, the twisted forms of what were once beautiful creatures, and so she cannot stand Ahrianna. She also considers undead to be an abomination, though to a lesser extent than aberrations, but her clerics are not afraid to destroy those lifeless menaces. She is very close to her son Delanor, and she is cordial to her granddaughter Shurassa despite their opposing influence on water.

Temples of Galatea on the land are often positioned above healing springs, as these are seen to perfectly emphasise Galatea's soothing influence, and the clerics there are often skilled masseuses. Underwater, temples are often built in spots where there is natural sunlight, as the clerics enjoy the beauty of the sunrise.

Feats:

Galatea's Kiss

Prerequisites: Follower of Galatea, Con 13, Performs a special ritual involving a Cleric of Galatea of at least 5th level (they may request a boon first)

Benefit: You may now breathe underwater as easily as in the air. You still need to make Swim checks as normal. If you usually breathe underwater, then you can breathe air instead.

Galatea's Embrace

Prerequisites: Galatea's Kiss OR Amphibious, Con 13, Performs a special ritual involving a cleric of Galatea of at least 7th level (they may require a boon first)

Benefit: You gain the [Aquatic] subtype and a Swim speed equal to your land speed. Fins and webbing between your fingers appear when you are submerged in water. This grants all the usual benefits of a Swim speed. If you already had a Swim speed, you may gain a land speed of 30 feet if Medium or larger and 20 feet if Small or smaller. You gain legs when completely out of water to allow for this movement.

Galatea's Tongue:

Prerequisites: Follower of Galatea, Wis 13, Base Will Save +1, Performs a special ritual involving a cleric of Galatea of at least 7th level (they may require a boon first)

Benefit: You gain the ability to communicate with aquatic animals much like a Gnome speaks with burrowing animals, except you may activate the ability at will as a standard action. Once activated, you may speak with the animals for one minute per character level. They may simply choose to ignore you unless you also have Wild Empathy. If you do have Wild Empathy, you gain a +2 on all checks to influence aquatic animals.

Last edited:

Bront

The man with the probe
I would reocomend the Harpoon (Short Spear) as the favored weapon. Perhaps a regular spear might work though. It's a simple weapon, which is a plus.

I would require a base Fort save of +4 or +5 for the first feat. Otherwise, someone could in theory start with it.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Bront said:
I would reocomend the Harpoon (Short Spear) as the favored weapon. Perhaps a regular spear might work though. It's a simple weapon, which is a plus.

I would require a base Fort save of +4 or +5 for the first feat. Otherwise, someone could in theory start with it.
I was thinking of the harpoon, but then I thought since people use harpoons to kill whales and dolphins, maybe that would be too cruel of a weapon for her?

Base Fort +4 or +5 really hinders someone who wants it and doesn't have strong Fort, though, and it could still easily be taken by 3rd level by someone who wanted it. I would say the RP requirement disallows it at level 1 but allows it at any other level, and I'd be fine with characters getting the first feat at 3 and the second at 6 :)

Bront

The man with the probe
True, but such is the circle of life, and part of being a god is knowing all things have their place, even creatures you love as food for others. Besides, using such a weapon to feed a family would be her way of showing her love for mortals.

Base fort of +3 makes it easy then.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Bront said:
True, but such is the circle of life, and part of being a god is knowing all things have their place, even creatures you love as food for others. Besides, using such a weapon to feed a family would be her way of showing her love for mortals.

Base fort of +3 makes it easy then.
Well, that's why she most certainly supports fisherman, but whaling is usually done for luxury products.

As for base Fort +3, that would make it truly tough to take for anything but a fighting class, a Cleric, or a Druid. Character Level 3rd could just be the req though :)

Bront

The man with the probe
That would work too. I was thinking fort because a physical change like that is tough on someone. A Con 13+ might be a good req.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Bront said:
That would work too. I was thinking fort because a physical change like that is tough on someone. A Con 13+ might be a good req.
Yeah, that's why I picked Fort originally too, but it is too restrictive I think. I like Con 13+ though.

Someone

Adventurer
I think the feats are outside of the scope of what feats do; with exceptions, they are supposed to be extraordinary, if exceptional, abilities. Also opens the question of why other gods don´t grant abilities in the same vein.

IMO making them [Divine] feats would be much appropiate.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Someone said:
I think the feats are outside of the scope of what feats do; with exceptions, they are supposed to be extraordinary, if exceptional, abilities. Also opens the question of why other gods don´t grant abilities in the same vein.

IMO making them [Divine] feats would be much appropiate.
There are definitely trasnformational feats among WotC's bevy, although I don't think anything that does exactly this. I don't like the [Divine] descriptor because then you can't take them without Turn Undead--we could put a different descriptor on them though.

Someone

Adventurer
Rystil Arden said:
There are definitely trasnformational feats among WotC's bevy, although I don't think anything that does exactly this.

I certainly don´t recall any of them that allows a 1st (or any level) level human breathe water and a swim speed, or even close. That´s over the top. The ones I remember require expending resources; wild shape used, or the like.

I don't like the [Divine] descriptor because then you can't take them without Turn Undead.

That´s the idea.

Remove ads