Galatea, Goddess of Water

Rystil Arden

First Post
Erekose13 said:
yeah I can vote yes on the deity as well.

For the feats, how many deities get to kiss their followers lol (Ahrianna has a feat like that :)) I'd like to see more stringent reqs for the feats. I don't think they should be taken at first and I don't think that RP restrictions should force that. Hey these feats would allow you to play a merperson on land now, interesting.
Hmmmm....I'm looking at the Sea Elf, who has better stat mods than the normal Elf unless you want to play a Wizard (-2 Int rather than Con), has the Aquatic Subtype, has a Swim speed of 40 feet (this feat gives 30 unless you have something to enhance your land speed) as well as a land speed of 30, can breathe on land for more than half the day before needing to be submersed in water without needing the feat, has double-range low-light vision, and has all of the other elf abilities too.

Plus the sea elf still has a feat to select, and it is an allowable race in LEW.

Now that I think of it, even if a human wanted to start off with both of these feats, they would still be highly inferior to the Aquatic Elf. I'm thinking it's balanced, but I like Bront's Con thing, so I'm sticking that in there :)

Rystil Arden

First Post
Hey these feats would allow you to play a merperson on land now, interesting.

You *technically* already could because they are apparently amphibious and have a land speed. However, you'll want to be an Aquatic Elf more likely because Merfolk have 1 LA. Though Merfolk do get +2 Dex Con and Cha with no penalties and 50 Swim Speed, which outclasses the Aquatic Elf. Anyways, I made Amphibious another way into the second feat, so Merfolk can just pick up the second--they actually already had a land speed too, but it is 5. So like the Aquatic Elves who can already breathe air for a while but take the first feat to breathe it forever, the Merfolk take the second feat to turn their fin temporarily into feet and gain a land speed. I suppose presumably this might also avoid the problem discovered by Fry and Umbriel in Futurama if a Merfolk and a Human were to fall in love.

Erekose13

Explorer
Yeah I wouldnt want to play a merfolk with 5 move. Then of course there is that other problem you mention :)

Given that Water Breathing is a 3rd level spell (link) I don't think a feat that does that and is available at 1st is fair. This is clearly better than the spell.

I've seen swim speed at a lower level spell, 1st I think (though I can't remember where off the top of my head). A feat for that is okay.

What if we swapped it, feet/swim first, breathing second?

Rystil Arden

First Post
Erekose13 said:
Yeah I wouldnt want to play a merfolk with 5 move. Then of course there is that other problem you mention :)

Given that Water Breathing is a 3rd level spell (link) I don't think a feat that does that and is available at 1st is fair. This is clearly better than the spell.

I've seen swim speed at a lower level spell, 1st I think (though I can't remember where off the top of my head). A feat for that is okay.

What if we swapped it, feet/swim first, breathing second?
Of course, the Aquatic Elf has all this available at no LA cost, but I'd definitely be game for switching the feats around. If anything, I'd think the Swim speed is generally more useful for an adventurer, since it lets you move about with relative ease, and you usually don't need to stay underwater for a long time--the idea was that the Water-Breathing feat was more of a flavour thing in that it allowed people to spend lots of time underwater at low levels if they spent a feat, whereas the other one was actually more useful in combat or water hazard encounters.

SlagMortar

First Post
Alter self allows both a swim speed and water breathing, though for only 10 minutes per level instead of 2 hours per level like the water breathing spell.

Rystil Arden

First Post
SlagMortar said:
Alter self allows both a swim speed and water breathing, though for only 10 minutes per level instead of 2 hours per level like the water breathing spell.
Ah, yes. This is so. Alter Self will actually give you a superior Swim speed too :)

Bront

The man with the probe
Yeah, plus, a feat is a high opurtunity cost. You could have Power Attack, or Two Weapon Fighting, or Weapon Focus, or Dodge or something else.

I don't see the first one as a problem with the RP bonus and the con limit. I'll have to look at the other ones some more.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Bront said:
Yeah, plus, a feat is a high opurtunity cost. You could have Power Attack, or Two Weapon Fighting, or Weapon Focus, or Dodge or something else.

I don't see the first one as a problem with the RP bonus and the con limit. I'll have to look at the other ones some more.
Indeed. The guy with Power Attack is going to be more useful almost every time. This just lets you add some flavour RP where you can claim your character lived underwater or something. And if you get attacked on the water, you can do pretty well for yourself, although the actual aquatic races will have a better Swim speed and you'll still have to doff your armour. Plus, the enemy probably took Power Attack instead of these two feats :D

Rystil Arden

First Post
Bront said:
Is the speak to aquatic animals feat a 1/day ability? or at will?
I figured 1/day like a Gnome. Though now that I think of it, that is rather weak for a feat. At will would probably not be so much of a problem, though if I bumped it up to that, I would up the requirement to Base Will Save +1 probably. This ensures that you either are level 3, are a caster who could cast the spell anyway, or are a Monk.

Remove ads