• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Game Closed] Dead of Winter: DnD3e-CoC Game in the Forgotten Realms (IC Forum)

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
bluegreenone said:
My character is Daan, gnomish druid. I was going to be human but changed per your suggestion. I should have actual stats and story up this weekend.

Good deal. Hopefully Spoof will have a character soon, if not, we'll open up the call again and try that. This makes the party:

* Sir Zichard Danilk, Human Pal2 of Torm
* Fezzin Verghenheim, Shield Dwarf Ftr1/Clr1 of Clangeddin Silverbeard
* Ezra Geonora, Human Mnk2 of Ilmater, Monastery of the Yellow Rose
* Yanis Princetonson, Human Rog1/Rgr1
* Daan, Gnomish Drd2

drs — I'm not at home this weekend, so I'll have that information by sometime midweek. If you have any suggestions for things you'd like to see, drop me an e-mail. :)

perivas — I believe that drs is right, but I don't have my books. At any rate, thanks for calling me on that. :) Also, would you like me to put out any background information for Yanis? I'd be more than happy to do so if you'd like me to. Let me know. Finally, I'll have the port in Thesk for you on Monday or Tuesday.

bluegreenone — That sounds good. Looking forward to seeing it here.

Rorschach — do you want background information on Clangeddin Silverbeard and his temples? Thanks for posting the background, by the way. As for checks for understanding him, we can do that, although I'd rather roleplay it most of the time. That is, when Fezzin says something, maybe you could highlight certain words, and knock others out with a dash or an ellypsis. This is just a suggestion, though...The intelligibility checks could be problematic sometimes, although a lot of fun at others. If you have that much trouble speaking, you might eventually want to consider the Silent Spell feat :p (only half-kidding, it could make a lot of sense for the character).

Spoof — are you still interested? Let me know, or throw something up here in the way of a PC. Thanks :).

Finally, I just want to let you all know that if something seems off or wrong, please call me on it. That will never be a problem; it'll definitely be a problem if you don't call me on it. :) Great. We're almost there.

Best,
tKL

MutantHamster

First Post
Re: Dead of Winter: DnD3e-CoC Game in the Forgotten Realms (IC Forum)

Kajamba Lion said:

Rangers may substitute other feats for Two-Weapon Fighting and Ambidexterity. One of the substitution feats must be Point Blank Shot and the other should be one of the following: Far Shot, Precise Shot, or (if Dex 13+) Rapid Shot.
I think you mean:
Rangers may substitute Two Weapon FIghting and Ambidexterity for Blahblah......

Last edited:

perivas

First Post
Alas, you were right about the language thing. But I would never buy it. What's the point of having different regional languages at all? In a society where the whole world can share a language, why bother learning anything else? It's plainly a ridiculous presumption on the designers' part to allow people to communicate. Are we to genuinely believe that the entire world of Toril can share a single common language? It's preposterous I tell you.

If you look at the chart, knowing Chondathan and Damaran allows one to go most anywhere anyhow. I refuse to know Common!

Sir Danilk

First Post
Very true perivas, though I think the general stand point is that common is like a 'merchants' language and every one know enough to communicate, even if it is on a basic level. So I wouldn't remove it if I were you, just role play that you know only a little bit but not much.

bluegreenone

First Post
Sir Danilk said:
Very true perivas, though I think the general stand point is that common is like a 'merchants' language and every one know enough to communicate, even if it is on a basic level. So I wouldn't remove it if I were you, just role play that you know only a little bit but not much.

Otherwise we'll have TWO party members we can't communicate with! :)

Rorschach

First Post
Hey drs,

How does this sound:

When Fezzin is "in his cups," so to speak, he tends to try and preach/orate the virtues of Clangeddin Silverbeard and the virtuous life more generally. Unfortunately, alcohol exacerbates his mumbling, making him absolutely inscrutable. So, in a particularly nasty frontier tavern one evening Sir Danilk enters just in time to witness a perplexed and very drunk mob pull an equally drunk Fezzin, gesticulating wildly and mumbling at the top of his lungs, down from the top of the bar. Clubbing a few of the more vicious patrons with the flat of your blade, Danilk drags Fezzin out of the bar and to safety. Fezzin insists on remaining until he can repay the debt, and as he travels with Danilk, discovers that their aims are similar. Over the course of these month sof travel, Danilk has learned to understand much of what Fezzin says, though not nearly everything.

How's that for a start?

Old Fezziwig

Sir Danilk said:

This is a great suggestion, and actually also how I view the Common Tongue as well. It'd be very hard to conduct all but the most basic financial transactions in the Common Tongue, and maybe a few other things ("We come in peace" or "Where is the nearest temple of Clangeddin?" like those little Berlitz guides to foreign languages for travellers). You aren't going to be able to hold down in depth philosophical conversations about the ramifications of introducing mechanical clocks to the nomads of the Anauroch Desert in Common. :)

I think that everyone has Damaran as a language (and I'd recommend spending the points on it if you don't have it ;)), so this really shouldn't be a problem. In the event that the campaign wanders elsewhere, you'll more than likely need translators and comprehend languages spells or other things of that ilk.

Originally posted by MutantHamster
I think you mean:
Rangers may substitute Two Weapon FIghting and Ambidexterity for Blahblah......

Hi, MutantHamster. :) In the event that Spoof never gets back to us and you're willing to play a wizard or sorcerer, you're the first alternate if you really want in. As for the ranger bit, I really meant what I wrote — if people feel that the TWF and ambidexterity are not ranger-esque, then they're more than welcome to pick up the Archery feats instead. I have no preference to what type of ranger is in the campaign, but I don't quite feel like using an alt.ranger either...

Best,
tKL

drs

First Post
Yup, nice stuff Rorschach! I added it to my background, all done. Other than that maybe you can make up a quick list of basic words/sounds (and their meanings) that Fezzin uses and are normally indistinguishable to most, though Danilk has learnt.

Btw Kaj, I sent you a quick email about Torm guard, just checking to see if it sent.

Old Fezziwig

drs — I did get your e-mail; did you get my response? I'm back in Boston and will start working on that in the next day or so after I get settled. :)

Best,
tKL

Remove ads