• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

GAME OF THRONES #7:-You Win or You Die ACT 7 Chapter 1-2011

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
The main problem I have with this entire series is knowing that there is no end in place. All of the major plot issues will not be resolved unless this series lasts many more years.

I hope that happens, but expensive sci-fi/fantasy TV series have a disturbing tendency to end wayyyyyyyyyyyyy too soon.

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
As it stands now, the ratings have been quiet favorable. And there has been some spikes (higher viewer watching) on certain eps in the last several weeks.

Haven't seen anything of true negative outcry on the show currently (if someone has, link it please), but it can be said that HBO is quiet pleased as punch on the ratings (more ad revenue for them) and extra licenses fees for overseas *which was discussed in a old thread dealing with GOT*.

Now, as for a Season 3 or 4, that will depend on the numbers *viewership interest* and staying power *keeping the interest ongoing*.

If Season 2 is as successful or more than Season 1...then most definitely, there will be a Season 3.

As long the interest to watch the show is maintained or it grows in a broader stinct.
Isn't that the last episode of the season?

I know they green-lighted the second season like right after the first episode, but does anyone know how well the series has been received and whether we'll see a 3rd or 4th season?

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
Yes, that is true...but given HBO's track record in dealing with good shows that have a short lifespan window (e.g. --Rpme & Deadwood)

If we get 3 seasons out of it, it will be more than what Rome & Deadwood ever got.

The main problem I have with this entire series is knowing that there is no end in place. All of the major plot issues will not be resolved unless this series lasts many more years.

I hope that happens, but expensive sci-fi/fantasy TV series have a disturbing tendency to end wayyyyyyyyyyyyy too soon.

Kzach

Banned
Banned

I've never quite understood why people take this position. To me, wrapping up every thread is actually unbelievable. Life doesn't stop because a book ends, so why should I see an end to a representation of life from a book? Unresolved issues, unanswered questions, and the knowledge that a character's life continues beyond the capacity for the book to detail or the reader to comprehend is far more believable than every thread being neatly tied off just because the author demands it.

Given GRRM's slavish devotion to the natural flow and ebb of the story and its characters, I think I'd actually be disappointed if he DIDN'T leave us all wondering what the fate of Westeros was.

As long the interest to watch the show is maintained or it grows in a broader stinct.
Don't they run seasons on cable networks a second time before the next season begins? I remember reading that they tend to place great value on these second runs because the first run generates interest and the second is what they use to determine the series' potential.

Regardless, buy the DVD! Ooh... I wonder if they'll do a BR version.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
re

I liked this episode.

Khal Drogo going off was cool. Daenerys looked like she was ready to be bedded right there and then.

I liked Littlefinger explaining how he works. His is one of the story arcs I'm most looking forward to in the books. I figure Martin will give him some kind of comeuppance, but I'm hoping he survives the entire ordeal and comes out strong. I love how he plays the game. He has killed some of the people I hate the most in those books.

Poor, foolish Ned. You hate to see it because he is such a good and honorable man. But he was such a fool.

Don't know how much I like the actor playing Tywin. Doesn't quite look as I pictured Tywin. If Max Von Sydow were 10 or 15 years younger, he would have made an awesome Tywin. Max Von Sydow has a huge screen presence and always seemed kingly and powerful. But we'll see how the actor does Tywin. He wasn't given much to do initially. He won't be real prominent until next season.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
As it stands now, the ratings have been quiet favorable. And there has been some spikes (higher viewer watching) on certain eps in the last several weeks.

Haven't seen anything of true negative outcry on the show currently (if someone has, link it please), but it can be said that HBO is quiet pleased as punch on the ratings (more ad revenue for them) and extra licenses fees for overseas *which was discussed in a old thread dealing with GOT*.

Now, as for a Season 3 or 4, that will depend on the numbers *viewership interest* and staying power *keeping the interest ongoing*.

If Season 2 is as successful or more than Season 1...then most definitely, there will be a Season 3.

Season 2 might get too expensive. The big battles in the book will be hard to do on a reasonable budget. Rome was canceled because it became too expensive to keep going. Might be the same fate for Game of Thrones. It's not like The Sopranos or The Wire. Costs a great deal of money for the sets and CGI.

Nice thing about this series though is there are so many characters that they don't have to give one too much screen time. So maybe they can save money by not having one major star to carry the series. By the end of The Sopranos, James Gandolfini was taking up most of the budget.

catsclaw227

First Post
Rome was canceled because it became too expensive to keep going.
Wait a sec... I am sure I read in many places that Rome was planned as a two season arc. The creators and writers had it all sketched out and tied up when it was pitched. [I need to go looking for some quotes somewhere...]

Nice thing about this series though is there are so many characters that they don't have to give one too much screen time. So maybe they can save money by not having one major star to carry the series. By the end of The Sopranos, James Gandolfini was taking up most of the budget.
This is a nice point. Actors can cost a lot when they get some power over a show. :) Tony Soprano was a huge figure by the 4th or 5th season. It has it's consequences, though. Unfortunately for him, Gandolfini hasn't done as much with is fame as I expected and he always reminds me of Tony Soprano whenever I see him.

Steel_Wind

Legend
Regardless, buy the DVD! Ooh... I wonder if they'll do a BR version.

FWIW, the show runners have mentioned in interviews (in a very offhand and unspecific manner) about things that they might like to do "for the Blu-Ray".

No overt promises made, but a Blu-Ray for each season is a certainty for the current market -- if for no other reason than Blu-Rays are more profitable than DVDs in this market.

And yes, given the nature of the fandom of ASoIaF, I expect that DVD/Blu-Ray sales of Game of Thrones will break sales records at HBO.

In short, I am very bullish on Season 3+ of GoT!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads