D&D 5E 'Game of Thrones' fans: what kind of weapon does Oberyn use?

To me, he was emphasizing speed over strength. Oberyn was pretty clearly dex based... and to me at least he looked pretty badass!

Very good point!

I honestly have no idea why the spear in DnD isn't finesse-based, given that several of the oldest martial arts using it are the epitome of finesse...

You are confusing skill and finesse.

It can be both. The rapier is a weapon designed for quick thrusts, but you can still Hulk Smash and use your strength if you want. The way Oberyn fights with that weapon in the show's scene is very different from the Spatans in 300 (particularly due to being a 2 handed reach). Both use skill, but the Spartan's use power (Str to hit).

I think balanced weapon stats would be martial, 1d10 piercing, reach, finesse. Essentially a glaive with finesse subbed in for heavy. So no great weapon fighting, but polearm mastery would work. Should give the feel you're looking for.

The strength version could be a modified lance. Less damage (d10 vs d12). No disadvantage against close targets, but can't be used one handed while mounted.

Rossbert

Explorer
If I were to be a bit devil's advocate (and strictly armchair here, I have the strength of an anemic third grader) if you have 2 feet of steel on the end of a six foot stick, any amount of whirling, especially as your hands get closer to the blunt end will require a lot of strength.

As for Oberyn, he obviously dumped wisdom and maybe constitution for a strong Str, Dex and Cha. You can be both strong and quick. In the real world it is often required to be strong to be particular quick or flexible.

Tim Tuck

First Post
I made an oberyn based character in one of my campaigns and had to deal with this same issue. I thought glaive but finesse based but my dm said it would be to much damage for a finesse weapon. He decided i had to stick with the 1d8 of a rapier(the highest finesse dmg) but i could consider it a spear or glaive without reach or throwing. I didnt like his decision.

Remove ads