• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Games you thought you'd like and hated and games you thought you'd hate and liked

DrunkonDuty

he/him
I have a guy in our group who loves GURPS and wants us to try it...after reading this thread...maybe not.

Oh I'd try it. It isn't awful. It can actually work. Not sure why I (and by the sounds of it a few others) can't quite into it but it's nto cos it's actually bad.

God, I'm making no sense what so ever....

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
I was literally planning on buying Iron Heroes tomorrow, but after reading this thread I'm definitely not.

Great thread!

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Tetsubo said:
I hated Werewolf. It was the only game in that line I ever bought. It was also the first RPG I ever sold. Monte Cook's World of Darkness is good though.

You should give the other games a try they are quite a different feel, did you like the basic mortal rulebook? or disliked that as well?

Aus_Snow

First Post
Hunter In Darkness said:
(. . .) read some of the sourcebooks pure gold
QFFMT. Er, quoted for fundamentally meaningful truth. Yeah.

It's become a cliche now, but quite honestly, there really *are* more than a few folks who buy GURPS supplements to use for games other than GURPS. I's one o' dem.

I thoroughly recommend checking out some that are of interest.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I really want to like GURPS but every time I try to actually play it, it falls flat on its face. In theory, having a completely generic, modular system should be a GM heaven, but somehow it makes characters and spells feel really amorphous, and the combat aspect of the game - again, very likeable in theory - is a pretty fickle thing.

For me, GURPS always failed at the "Generic, Universal" stage- too many alternate rules for things like psionics in various settings.

In contrast, HERO has never failed me, and I find Mutants & Masterminds an elegant hybrid of HERO and D20.

However, I've never felt like characters in any universal system were amorphous.

Games I wanted to like more than I do:

I always wanted to like the 1Ed WoD games, but hated that they weren't in a single unified system- I always wanted my Mages, Werewolves, Vampires and the like to be able to encounter each other...

RIFTS was another game that I always wanted to love. In the end, though, the clunky mechanics forced me to abandon the game, but I keep mining the setting's fluff for campaigns in other systems.

Space: 1889 was very well researched, but its mechanics are also clunky. Again, its a game I mine for ideas more than actually play.

Tetsubo

First Post
Fallen Seraph said:
You should give the other games a try they are quite a different feel, did you like the basic mortal rulebook? or disliked that as well?

My issue with Werewolf is that I couldn't find the rules. I read the book, saw all this fluff but found no crunch...

A defender of WW told me, "But Werewolf is the crunchiest game in the series!"

I sold the book.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Tetsubo said:
My issue with Werewolf is that I couldn't find the rules. I read the book, saw all this fluff but found no crunch...

A defender of WW told me, "But Werewolf is the crunchiest game in the series!"

I sold the book.
:lol:

Those wacky White Wolf guys, always sending in the fluffer first. I dunno, what else do you call those writers.

s.j. bagley

First Post
when 'vampire' and co. first came out, it seemed like the perfect game for someone who loved horror fiction...
it wasn't.
a century or two later they released 'hunter' which seemed like such a great idea: normal humans fighting monsters!
only they weren't.
they were poorly conceived superheroes of stupidity.

when i first read about 'rifts' i thought it was going to be all aces... and to this day i still think it's one of the absolute worst games i've ever played.

interestingly enough, i though that he old 'teenage mutant ninja turtles' game was going to be awful, but it turned out to be one of the most fun games i've played.

Set

First Post
Aus_Snow said:
QFFMT. Er, quoted for fundamentally meaningful truth. Yeah.

It's become a cliche now, but quite honestly, there really *are* more than a few folks who buy GURPS supplements to use for games other than GURPS. I's one o' dem.

I thoroughly recommend checking out some that are of interest.

GURPS Timeline was my favorite book for Vampire games. When writing up a character who'd been crawling around for a couple of centuries, or even just a couple of decades, it was a great book to dig into and look up what sort of things were going on in that time frame.

Plus the author seemed to gravitate towards historical events (disappearances, unsolved mysteries, etc) that would make great plot starters for games set in that time period.

Remove ads