Gaming Experience Does Not Equal Gaming Skill

N0Man

First Post
Skill in what? Roleplaying? Character building? Tactical decisions? Problem solving? Being a good storyteller? Being a good peacekeeper and organizer?

D&D is not like playing Risk or some other game. There are so many elements to the game that it's just about impossible for someone go be good at everything. Just like our characters, our players often gravitate toward filling the roles that each of us tends to do best (or think we do best).

The most important thing is having a good time, and that doesn't require expert skill levels. Even the newbies can often bring something fun and interesting or a different perspective to the table.

Garmorn

Explorer
Skill in what? Roleplaying? Character building? Tactical decisions? Problem solving? Being a good storyteller? Being a good peacekeeper and organizer?

D&D is not like playing Risk or some other game. There are so many elements to the game that it's just about impossible for someone go be good at everything. Just like our characters, our players often gravitate toward filling the roles that each of us tends to do best (or think we do best).

The most important thing is having a good time, and that doesn't require expert skill levels. Even the newbies can often bring something fun and interesting or a different perspective to the table.

Then there is the problem of defining what is skilled and what is not. In one thread some said that unless you are using player knowledge in game you are playing badly. I think this is very poorly played. I don't care if it is hack and slash or pure story telling. You are not your character. Which one of us is more skilled if we both have a character fighting a troll for the characters first time. The one that use his knowledge about trolls regeneration or the one that does not because his character would not know?

Aus_Snow

First Post
Which one of us is more skilled if we both have a character fighting a troll for the characters first time. The one that use his knowledge about trolls regeneration or the one that does not because his character would not know?
The latter.

edit --- Alternatively, and equally: Which one of us is more skilled if we both have a character fighting a troll for the character's first time - the one whose character would (or indeed, does) know about trolls' regeneration and has their character act on that knowledge, or the one whose character also would (or does) know about that, yet disallows their character the same option, because they want to score points as a rolEplayer?

The former. :)

btw, I am aware that my usage of the word 'skilled' might bend or even break English, but our poor language is hardly new to that, so hopefully it won't mind. ;)

Last edited:

Remove ads