Gaming Terrain, Tiles, and Battlemats

Scribble

First Post
I just use the generic flipmat because I can use dry erase markers with it.

Wet erase markers are too messy, and I have little patience for arranging various tiles and such.

Treebore

First Post
I am like several of you, big fan of Fat Dragon, followed by Paizo's Flip Map/Map Tiles line, then Worldworks, then WOTC's own tiles line.

If Dwarven Forge could cut their prices, say in half, I would be all over their products. As it is, I just drool.

I have found my Heroscape stuff to be useful too, but I am way beyond just the base set.

WampusCat43

Explorer
I miss my projector. The ability to use layers on the map to simulate fog of war was priceless.

Well, there is a price. I haven't been willing to tear up my newly-remodeled basement ceiling to re-install it.

Treebore

First Post
I miss my projector. The ability to use layers on the map to simulate fog of war was priceless.

Well, there is a price. I haven't been willing to tear up my newly-remodeled basement ceiling to re-install it.

Tear out? You know where the support beams for the projector are, right? Its called a utility knife, and you cut a square that perfectly fits the outline of your projector. Then to pretty it up you can buy and install molding around it. Use a metal straight edge when you cut, and don't try to cut through in one pass, try and do it in 3 passes. Should take you about an hour once you have everything on hand. Oh, and have your shop n vac ready, or broom, dust pan, and vacuum.

Just don't rub the spackling off around the site. I hate doing spackling.

darjr

I crit!
I am considering getting a flat panel display stand that holds the panel horizontal to the table surface. A 22 or 24 inch wide screen should be enough room for an encounter and mini's. Then display a grid and effects on it as a secondary display to my laptop. Mini's could go on top of that. No overhead and it would be kind of portable. I'd probably cover the monitor with some clear protective sheet or plastic.

But I'm so enamored with using 3d terrain that I think I can't go back.

WampusCat43

Explorer
Mounting the projector's not the hard part, believe it or not. It's getting the mirror (a 12" x 12" tile) in exactly the right position, safely and securely.

WampusCat43

Explorer
I am considering getting a flat panel display stand that holds the panel horizontal to the table surface. A 22 or 24 inch wide screen should be enough room for an encounter and mini's. Then display a grid and effects on it as a secondary display to my laptop. Mini's could go on top of that. No overhead and it would be kind of portable. I'd probably cover the monitor with some clear protective sheet or plastic.

But I'm so enamored with using 3d terrain that I think I can't go back.

This is my long range plan also, although I want to go much bigger. What you're talking about will only yield about 13" x 18" worth of display. I want to go for the whole dungeon!

*off to buy more lottery tickets*

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
A projector and 3d terrain can be combined by just using greys or off whites for the physical pieces and projecting the colors/images upon them.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Actually, I make almost all my own terrain. I've found that even the water-based paints will eat (really "dissolve") styrofoam. If you want to make your own, and you don't want to go the Hirst Arts/Dwarven Forge way, then it's possible to make good-looking terrain with insulation foam, artist's gesso (for primery), some Xacto's and hot wire cutters, and your imagination. Plaster and foamcore are also useful for certain things.

As noted in the thread, consider your storage capacity. That's the big one! :)

I've never had that problem with Aqua brand. As for hot wire cutters, I don't use those as I don't like breathing neuro toxins...

Remove ads