Gaming W/Jemal: Mutant Apocalypse (Recruitment always open)

Walking Dad

First Post
As I mentioned above, I would like to adapt Frost to the setting.

About editions:
I really like some 3rd edition changes (less powerful impervious toughness, grappling, the new conditions (' definitions) and that complications cover the old non-power drawbacks).

So I would vote for 3rd, but having no problem with playing 2nd.

Shayuri

First Post
By the Rock of Fraggle!

I'm interested. I'm equally fine with either 2e or 3e, though I've found 3e to be a bit more streamlined.

As usual, I have a lot of concepts to try. Let me rattle my can and see what filters to the top.

Jemal

Adventurer
Rathan : Love your concept, Only problem I have is the timing. You've got James running for 3 years, but the "outing" of Metas was only one year before the campaign start date. Before that they were urban legends & Rumours.

To those who know 3e: seems like most who've tried both prefer it. Is it just a streamline of the first (Like 3.5 d&D to 3e) or are there any major differnces in costs/powers/system?

WD - IIRC, Frost was basically like the X-man Iceman power-wise, right?

Also, I'll be adding some more info to the first two posts sometime this morning.

Walking Dad

First Post

To those who know 3e: seems like most who've tried both prefer it. Is it just a streamline of the first (Like 3.5 d&D to 3e) or are there any major differnces in costs/powers/system?
This is maybe helpful:
Mutants & Masterminds 2e to 3e Conversion notes [9-page, 217KB PDF]

As their DC games uses the same rules, this is extremely helpful, too:
DC ADVENTURES Quick Start PDF

Basically it is the same system. They re-named feats advantages, increased the cost of skills, but reducing the number of skills. They use other abilities.
(This is all easier to grok with the pdfs above).

Powers are similar to Ultimate Power, with everything build with the effects and fewer 'sample' power.

WD - IIRC, Frost was basically like the X-man Iceman power-wise, right?
Basically, yes. But his body is frozen permanently but below his skin, so he looks pretty normal outward, but his body is somewhat hard and really cold.

The old version had yet not learn the Ice-Man's platform flight trick.

Shayuri

First Post
Lets see. In Chosen I had Facade, a shapeshifter. In Rising I had Cassandra, a telekinetic.

Maybe it would be easiest if I recycled one of those concepts rather than started anew.

Rathan

First Post
Jemal said:
Rathan : Love your concept, Only problem I have is the timing. You've got James running for 3 years, but the "outing" of Metas was only one year before the campaign start date. Before that they were urban legends & Rumours.

not a problem Jemal... I can just change it to 6 months and it should fit at that point.

jkason

First Post
Not entirely sure on a concept yet. I find myself generally drawn to the 'young person whose life is complicated by sudden powers' model, but not entirely sure which powers as of yet. Might try to fill in the blanks. Looks like so far there's a tank-type and an elemental controller. With the X-men templates seeming to prevail, maybe a Kitty Pryde type...

Jemal

Adventurer
ALL : I've updated the first post to include some more detailed info on the four main Factions.
Just FYI, I expect if any characters have ties to any of them, it would be either Drake or Gryphon, the two not-quite-opposed but not-quite-allied mutant organizations.

Also, I've been alternating b/c I'm not sure which sounds better, so Here's a Vote for you all :
Meta-Human or Mutant? I know scientists and 'officials' will refer to them as Meta-Humans, and people that dislike them will more likely use terms like freak and abomination, but what do you think should be the public way of referring to them?

JKason - Feel free to do whatever you want. I'm looking for a fairly large cast, as a'la Heroes or Civl War, you may not allways be with (Or even working towards the same goals as) All the other PC's.

Rathan - Perfect.

Shayuri - Cassandra would be my preference, both b/c I really like the character and b/c she's allready a part of some of the events that have taken place, and would be in a good position to know things now, depending on what's happened to her over the last ~14-15 months since the school. Also, I'm a big believer that any good super-hero story needs TK ;)
Also, I think you had a Water-Bender back in Mutant High if that floats your boat(er.. pun not intended). That was you right?
[sblock=Shayuri]
What do you think of Cassandra having been 'recruited' by the Gryphon Corporation after the school, to help protect her secret and others?[/sblock]

WD - I like Frost. And thanks for the link, I'm giving it a look now.

Shayuri

First Post
Cassandra is my preference too, actually. :) Much simpler powerwise, and I enjoyed her character a lot. That, plus the connection to the background of the setting makes her a shoo-in.

I did the waterbender too...but wound up kind of unhappy with her. I could do a much better job with her now, but the design feels a little too 'media ripoffish' now. :)

[sblock=Jemal]That's a possibility! Let me reread the first post and see what Gryphon's all about...but as long as they have a credible facade of goodness, they could probably persuade her to help on a freelance basis...and over time she'd be doing that more and more until finally she was a member. Wouldn't take long either.[/sblock]

Jemal

Adventurer
Eh, nothing wrong with Media Ripoffs. Hell, half this campaign is a mishmash of different ideas gleaned from TV & Comics. But I still prefer Cass. :D

[sblock=shayuri]
Actually missed a portion I was supposd to have in there, will be re-editing it in but since you're allready reading it i'll post it here too so you don't miss it.:

The Corporation has a sizable 'gray area', but spending any amount of time with them would likely be very convincing as to their 'generally' altruistic goals. Their main goal was keeping mutants safe & Hidden, and now that the secret is out, are scrambling to restructure and find a way to continue keeping the meta-population safe, though some of their members are open to the 'any means necessary' policy.
[/sblock]

Remove ads