• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gaming W/Jemal: Mutant High

drothgery

First Post
Relique du Madde said:
A thought crossed my mind about how/why Miranda might not know some of the other students at the institute.. (ei Alchemist or wi-fi)

Beyond her not having class with some of the upperclassmen, or other student or her traveling back and forth from Los Angeles to Salem, I'm thinking that Miranda spent the majority of her time at school in ghost form. Also, it would make sense if she only really associated with a small group of students, and as a result she would have built up a reputation as a wall flower.

Not that it matters right now in-game (since Eric's busy in the Danger Room), but I threw out a flyer in Quarterback's writeup that Eric and Miranda might know each other from 'normal' life (both being rich and famous young southern Californians, though she's a year younger than he is).

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
drothgery said:
Not that it matters right now in-game (since Eric's busy in the Danger Room), but I threw out a flyer in Quarterback's writeup that Eric and Miranda might know each other from 'normal' life (both being rich and famous young southern Californians, though she's a year younger than he is).

You know, I was about to mention that in the post.. (I was being thrown out of the lab I was in so I didn't get around to typing it up). What I was thinking that we should probably do that so that it would be easier for both groups to of characters could easily be integrated.

Considering that Eric was USC bound for sports, I think the best schools for him to have attended would have been either Mission Viejo, Mater Dei (if he's catholic) or Long Beach Polytech. Mission Viejo probably would be the best bet since its suburban and since Mission Veijo is in a nice area.

However, since Miranda lives in Hollywood this would make it impossible for them to know each other through school (unless Eric lives in Hollywood). However, it is possible that Heart Break High could have filmed that the school Eric attended which means Miranda would have spent alot of time on campus while he's there (like if they needed a sports team for a shoot). This way they would know each other.

drothgery

First Post
Relique du Madde said:
Considering that Eric was USC bound for sports, I think the best schools for him to have attended would have been either Mission Viejo, Mater Dei (if he's catholic) or Long Beach Polytech. Mission Viejo probably would be the best bet since its suburban and since Mission Veijo is in a nice area.

I was kind of thinking Eric's schtick was that he'd made a school that's very much not a traditional football power into one for a few years. Him playing for one of the preeminent high school football powers in SoCal (at least, as near as I can tell -- I may live out here, but I'm from Ohio) doesn't really work with that.

Relique du Madde said:
However, since Miranda lives in Hollywood this would make it impossible for them to know each other through school (unless Eric lives in Hollywood). However, it is possible that Heart Break High could have filmed that the school Eric attended which means Miranda would have spent alot of time on campus while he's there (like if they needed a sports team for a shoot). This way they would know each other.

... but this would work pretty well.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
That of course is if you want to go with a real school. You could just as easily pick a random city which is currently undergoing a housing boom and plop down a new high school.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Jemal,

I need to ask a question just so I could be sure if a tactic I'm thinking about might be feasible or not.

Currently, my Life-Force Detection and Life-Control (perception range) powers are not dynamic. Assuming i spent a round locating a target which I could only perceive using my life-detection power,would I totally lose track of a target if I try to switch the array from the Life-Force Detection to Life Control, or would i only be able to pull off one attack before i loose track of where they are?

Lobo Lurker

First Post
I'm pretty sure its either/or. You'd still know where the professor was, but you wouldn't be perceiving him the moment you switched away from your perception power. Ultimately Jemal's decision though.

Shayuri

First Post
I think I'd have to agree. It'd be like closing your eyes for a moment. You'd still have a good idea where what you were looking at was, but it -could- move in that instant. If you were just moving to that location, fine...but I'd say targeting a Perception power would require actual sensory contact...not just a clear memory of where the target was a moment ago...

There's enough ambiguity though that it'd definitely require a GM interpretation. If Perception just means "you know right where the target is," you might still be able to try 'shooting blind' as it were, and hope the intended target is still there. Which could be amusing if it wasn't...or if someone else had moved there in the interim. Hee. :)

Jemal

Adventurer
Basically what they said...
Since you know where the target is, I'd give it the same chances as shooting invisible.. 50% chance if you know 'where' to target (which you would if you had 'just' finished detecting them).

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Alright, Cause, I was planning on doing some "sneak" nausea attacks on the kid from Professor X's position (after several rounds pass) and I was afraid that it would either not work, or if It did, it would have a 50/50 chance.

At least this tells me that I will have to make my perception ranged powers dynamic so I could do this sort of tactic without any problems in the future.

Remove ads