Gaming W/Jemal: Planar Quest! (Closed)

Which Setting would you prefer Jemal to DM?

• Meh, Neither grabs my attention.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Poll closed .

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
I was in the middle of making some of the changes when the sight went down![grrrrr]

will work on all the stuff shortly....

Scott DeWar

Scott -
OK, first thing : Spells
As we talked about earlier, your spellcasting should be as such:
Sorc 6, EK 4, AC 5, Practiced 4.
The 4 from practiced ONLY applies to the effects of spells, not to how many you can cast, how many you know, or what level of spells you can cast.
For anything on the "spells per day/Spells known" chart, you are effectively level 15.
Your CL for determining the EFFECT of those spells (damage dealt, range, duration, etc) is 19 (15+4). For Acid spells, this would be 20 due to your acidic splatter feat.

So for example, your spells known would be :
9 Cantrips, 5 First Lvl; 5 Second Lvl; 4 third lvl; 4 Fourth Lvl; 4 Fifth Lvl; 3 Sixth Lvl; 2 Seventh Lvl

Haven't done the math yet, so not sure if you did this, but as the only character who took an INT boosting item, I figured I should remind you that INT bonuses from items do not grant Skill points/Languages, so with a +6 int item, your base int of 14 is what would be used for skill point calculation and languages known.

There is no fly skill in 3.5, what you can do is based off your maneuverability class and any applicable feats/spells/items.

Also on equipment, I see you've taken a weapon of Disruption - Be aware that special/important Undead (Bosses/characters) Will be protected from such mundane methods of dispatch.

You have several scrolls listed as 'made himself'. Please note how much XP you spent on this and how much you have remaining.
Also, why take so many crafting feats and not use any but that one?
On that note, I would not suggest more than one or two Crafting feats. If you're using it to gain extra gold at the cost of XP, just take one feat and craft some expensive stuff. Taking multiples is only useful if you have specific items in mind you want to craft.
If its for RP reasons, I would still suggest against more than 1, maybe two feats, b/c you're seriously hampering your character.. Just SAY he's a crafter, give him one or two, and treat the rest as fluff.

done to here

Combat : you have your attacks listed with "off hand att at -2/-7/"
Two weapon fighting doesn't just give the -2 atk penalty to your OFF hand, it allows you to take one extra attack using your highest BAB with your off hand weapon, but you take a -2 penalty on ALL attacks made till your next turn.

regarding this, I had the proper math, just not mentioned about the primary hand.

****ready for a recheck***​

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Jemal! I think just one last question, and I'll be ready today to post.

Maybe two.

I'd like to buy a Runestaff of Power, which is a +2 quarterstaff with various other abilities which sells for the errataed price of 59,300gp. This is a much fairer price than the 30-odd thousand in the MIC, considering all that it does.

I'd like to increase its enhancement bonus to +5 though. Doing this, would I just pay the difference between a +2 and a +5 weapon (34,000)? Or do you rule that the various other abilities the runestaff has would count as additional "virtual" plusses that must be paid for?

The second is that I'm working out this character's background, but it's not easy tracing what's been worked out by others over all the posts of the thread...any chance I could get a brief recap, or summary, so I can find the points where I can tie myself in? :) This question is for anyone/everyone, by the way, not just Jemal.

Scott DeWar

I am playing a secret society dragon warrior kinda thing. Does that help?
Also, I was curious as to what that 'like' button does, so I punched it.

Last edited:

Scott DeWar

[MENTION=9026]Jemal[/MENTION]:

are there local languages? such as common being a trade tongue, but each kingdom or empire has a language?

Jemal

Adventurer
[MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION] I actually have used a 'greater rune staff of power' a few times, and that's basically what I did for it.
I also upped the times/day from 1 to 3, calculating the +2 Luck bonus as separate and worth 20,000, then subtracting the weapon value (8,300 for a +2) and doubling the remainder to get 3/day usage... But that's entirely beside the point.

As far as backgrounds, I'd suggest just reading the character bios in the RG, that's pretty much what I've got on it. I don't have the time ATM to go through and do a compilation, but if someone else does, feel more than welcome. :)

Scott - Yes, probably, though for the purposes of this campaign they'll be more background info. If everyone would like their own 'national language' feel free to make one up (or steal from RL) as a free bonus :)

Last edited:

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
Jemal said:
Are all your psychic powers available for me to look up in the SRD? If not, which books are they from and what do they do?
They are all from the Expanded Psionics Handbook (EPH) and are all, indeed, available on the SRD. I've also listed a short description of what they do on my character sheet.

Jemal said:
You don't have your race/Class levels listed in the statblock, but looking through the sheet I assume you're dwarven monk 11/Psychic Fist 9?
Correct. (It's listed in the post title :)).
Jemal said:
*Actually, most of your items are listed under multiple body slots. I'm assuming the first is what they ARE and the second is the standard body slot the powers on the item are from? (IE 'earring with powers of Ring of regeneration, but using head slot')
Correct.
Jemal said:
Goggles - Powersight is a swift action to activate, there are no 'quick' actions (Did you mean free?)

Swift. Corrected.
Jemal said:
Please list how many skill points went into each skill, not just the total

Done.

Jemal said:
A note re: Psionic Quicken : As with Quicken spell, this should be a swift action, not free.
Uh, well, actually, the SRD says: "Casting a quickened spell is a free action."

Doesn't make much difference for spells, actually, but as most psionic powers are either Swifts or can be made into Swifts (even without the Quicken Power Feat), Quicken Power as a Swift instead of a Free would therefore actually be a big deal.... Ruling?

Jemal said:
I could find no 'ring of roaring armor' in the MIC. what page is it on, cuz it's not listed under rings. *Also checked torc, not under that either*
Roaring is a +1 Armor property from the MIC (p.14) which I added to the <checks> *Bracers* of Armor component of Ur's Torc of Dragon Scales. It gives +4 competence bonus to initiative and auto return of non-magical range weapons that do 10 dam or less (took it almost entirely for the ini bonus, though I guess the second part *could* be useful if we ever face a massed army of commoners :)).

So the Torc is built from Bracers of Armor +3 (Roaring), an Amulet of Natural Armor +3 and a Ring of Protection +4. Torcs are and remain strong items of protection, but I could always swap my Bracers of Mighty Fists (originally an Amulet, if that makes sense to you) for the Torc if "appropriate Slots" poses a problem? I just love the look of the scaled metal torc around his neck with the two tiny dragon heads at his collar bone. :)

Jemal said:
I also couldn't find empowered spell shards, what page?
MIC p.96. X1.5 dam for a single spell/power (Energy Burst in this case).
Jemal said:
Belt of divine Prayer - A few issues with this item.
First, I think I already said no to this custom item (Though I thought it was divine might before)
Second, don't know the math you used on it but keep in mind that Wis mods on a belt would be outside affinity, so an additional 50% (Total of double cost to add to an existing item)
Finally, you have it listed as belt/ring, which is it?
I kept the name as I liked the religious connotation of the originally proposed Divine Might item, ditched the nixed custom aspects of it, as agreed. As for the slot thing, what if I shape it in the form of long string of prayer beads he wears wrapped around his waist?

Jemal said:
Finally, just a minor thing : I'm assuming the stuff you have 'loaded in belt pouch' is supposed to be a backpack, since you might fit tools in a belt pouch, but not a bedroll or gauntlet. (Those things are pretty small)
The "beltpouch" is his Bag of Holding I. He just happens to wear it at his belt. :)

Will work on working in the added cost of the Wis in the Belt and the Regeneration on the Earrings (though why a ring is appropriate for Regeneration and an earring isn't beats the heck out of me... Ah well.).

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
The second is that I'm working out this character's background, but it's not easy tracing what's been worked out by others over all the posts of the thread...any chance I could get a brief recap, or summary, so I can find the points where I can tie myself in? :) This question is for anyone/everyone, by the way, not just Jemal.
Hey there [MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION]. Got ninja'd by Jemal (that's what happens when you do three things at once), but yeah, your best bet is actually the Rogue's Gallery. Tutek and Braham are there, and I've copied my own thoughts on shared backgrounds in the "Rough Background" sblock (I've also got some possible past adventures for the party thrown into the "Power Explanation" sblock if you're interrested). Scott's character background is over here and please look at this post for a possible idea about "orientalizing" the country/continent to fit your PC (I rather like the last option, personnaly :)).

Remove ads