Gaming W/Jemal: Planar Quest! (Closed)

Which Setting would you prefer Jemal to DM?

• Meh, Neither grabs my attention.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Poll closed .

kinem

Adventurer
re: Polymorph Any: The suggestion that a PC would avoid using it as an attack due to moral reasons is ridiculous, both because there is much at stake in the battles (fates of many), and because it is actually less deadly than dishing out damage - because the effect can typically be reversed if the victors want to (or converted to a kill if they so choose), which also gives the advantage of allowing capturing and perhaps interrogation of foes.

And Jemal's claim that it is a weak attack is, well, a weak attempt at trying to justify his position. It can end a battle in one stroke - hardly weak, especially if the battle seems to be going against us. (Not to mention that it gives the capturing option which damage simply doesn't give.) And sorcerers can cast several a day.

Yes, you are being deliberately holding back IC if you fail to use it, even if you can easily mask that fact because your caster is so powerful in other ways. Likewise, enemies would be fools not to use it on us if they could.

Would a full duration noxious blast have been OK if it were made more powerful by letting a warlock also be able to use it to buff allies, e.g. if when used on an ally it doesn't cause damage and gives something useful instead? I hardly think so, but Jemal's logic on PAO (OK since it can buff) would suggest it would be.

How about making PAO unable to affect unwilling creatures?

In any case, Jemal, you are the DM and I want to play this game, so while we obviously don't agree on various points and probably never will, I will accept your rulings so we can move on.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Binder Fred, I like that idea for Braham. Rather than "the Barbarian Legion", I'd prefer the name "the Free Legion". Braham, being chaotic good, is big on freedom.

Braham could be from the desert Shayuri mentions; in any case, he's from the equivalent of the middle east.

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Man, this is a LOT of reading. I have never created/played a character past 12th, which means I am hesitant on throwing my name in here for consideration. I have most all of the books mentioned, and wouldn't mind looking to see if there were still an open slot in this game.

So, is there an open slot? Or is recruiting full? I only saw 4 entries on the Rogues Gallery, but I know at least one person still has yet to put in their character concept there.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
So, is there an open slot? Or is recruiting full? I only saw 4 entries on the Rogues Gallery, but I know at least one person still has yet to put in their character concept there.

I think there still is, keep an eye out for Jamal's response. You might want to be working on a character in the mean time.

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
BF: You could still use the torc minus Roaring, and if you just want an init boost, I'll give it to you for.. 5k?
Uh... alright. What form would this bonus take? Item, inherent?

Edited the magical items with the new prices (had to get rid of the Circlet of Rapid Casting to pay for the increase on the (ear)Ring of Regeneration). Decided to go with Shock Trooper insread of Quicken Power after all (after examination, that last is now only really useful with Body Equilibrium and Energy Burst, i.e. (unfortunatly) not worth the expenditure of one of his precious few Feats). Are we going to nerf Shock Trooper like I suggested before or go with it as written? Aside from that, my PC is ready once more.

Binder Fred, I like that idea for Braham. Rather than "the Barbarian Legion", I'd prefer the name "the Free Legion". Braham, being chaotic good, is big on freedom.
I don't know if you know the story behind gaijin, Kinem: it means "barbarian", sure, but the funny thing is that, in japanese, it's the word used to designate *all* foreigners. That kind of starkly honest world view has always tickled my funny bone for some reason. :) In our own perticular context, I can certainly see a group of semi-outcasts (perversely) taking on the name everybody calls them and turning it into something to be proud of! So, to me, the name Barbarian Legion has some serious *character* (a fight for acceptance, a fight against prejudice, (plus a *little bit* of dark humour :))).

Hmm...anyone have any suggestions for a 9th level spell?
Do you only have the one then? I guess it depends on what themes you're develloping with Mei's magic. I've always personnaly liked Shapechange, ever since the classical Disney "Merlin vs Madam Mim" shapechanging battle. :) A lot of oriental magicians also have shapechanging abilities, so it would fit perfectly there. Time Stop is a nice multi-purpose spell as well, if you want to go that way, and Transmute Rock to Lava (from Complete Arcane) can be used in interresting ways if you're going the Fire/Rock"Elemental Mage route. Mostly though, if you're still interrested in a little summonner vibe, there's the Summon Elemental Monolith spell (also from CA)? I can just imagine your PC delivering an inspiring speech to the downtrodden masses from atop the head of one. :D

Last edited:

D'Raven

First Post
Sorry about not posting I've been busy lately. And I kinda slack off cause my characters complex stuff, the followers and base had been finished. If there is still room for me I'll be able to post a completed character this weekend

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
I think there still is, keep an eye out for Jamal's response. You might want to be working on a character in the mean time.

Confused a little on the character creation. I read this as 3.5 gaming, but the character sheet you have up has the Sorcerer Bloodlines from Pathfinder rules. Are we crossing over to Pathfinder?

EDIT - Nevermind, found the post from Jemal about the sorcerer. Makes sense now.

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
I only have one. I'm caster level 18 (I have a monk level).

I have an item that lets me spend spell slots to cast Summon Monster, so I can use that for normal summons, limited per day. Should be sufficient.

Summon Monolith isn't bad for a straight up fight spell. It's one I'm considering.

Gate is another one, since it's congruent with her concept and works well with Greater Teleport...which she also has. I'd mostly want to use it for planar travel though, rather than calling. Though it's nice to have the -option- of calling for those emergency situations. :)

Disjunction is another one, since I think I'm the only one who -can- start with it, and a great deal of power at this level originates from buffs that disjunction is very effective at stripping away.

Considering Foresight, though it's effectiveness as a 9th level spell is debatable. It is in-character for her to display that sort of precogitive understanding, and could be very useful. Limited by the fact that it's a fairly short term buff, so you have to have to be somewhat precognitive to use it correctly. :)

Time Stop is another possibility...

I am not fond of Shapechange for this character, since it is hard to use with this character without either being completely irrelevant (doesn't give her a good BAB, or decent hit points) or totally broken (a lot of her AC bonuses still work in other shapes, which can lead to stupidly STUPIDLY high ACs). It also requires a lot of work to keep up with what shapes are okay to become and what their various powers are. More hassle than I want to keep up with. I am pondering Dragonshape as a superior combat spell, but its limited application makes it less attractive...

Tis tricky.

kinem

Adventurer
I don't know if you know the story behind gaijin, Kinem: it means "barbarian", sure, but the funny thing is that, in japanese, it's the word used to designate *all* foreigners. That kind of starkly honest world view has always tickled my funny bone for some reason. :) In our own perticular context, I can certainly see a group of semi-outcasts (perversely) taking on the name everybody calls them and turning it into something to be proud of! So, to me, the name Barbarian Legion has some serious *character* (a fight for acceptance, a fight against prejudice, (plus a *little bit* of dark humour :))).

Yes, sure I know the word "gaijin". It's a well known part of D&D lore, ever since the 1e Oriental Adventures.

I can see the appeal it has for you. How about if "Free Legion" is the official name of the group, but a lot of people including members of the group call it "Barbarian Legion" informally? After all, while most members are foreign, it is not exclusively so.

Remove ads