Gaming W/Jemal: Planar Quest! (Closed)

Which Setting would you prefer Jemal to DM?

• Meh, Neither grabs my attention.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Poll closed .

Shayuri

First Post
lol

I've been through about five concepts now, and have fully developed three, before discarding two of them. Mechanics on the final are done now. I just need to do items. But for that I need books, which means it has to happen after I get home.

Sorry for the wait. Y'all can get started without me if you like. I can have my character join in after the fact.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
J' is still going over the sheets and trying to recover from a finger nail being torn off *shudder* and recover from moving. I type with one hand for now, so I feel the pain on that [actual pain mostly covered by medication] and i just moved at the end of july. I understand his being slow.

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
Posted my (I hope) finished character over in the Rogue's Gallery. I also added a "Power explanation" sblock which mentions some possible past adventures for the group, go ahead and read that folks. :) [MENTION=9026]Jemal[/MENTION], can I take Improved Bull Rush (instead of Improved Grapple) for my Monk Feats? *Realy* fealing the weight of the monk's limited Feat slots...

RE backgrounds, how oriental is your PC, Shayuri? Would she fit in Rauland as described...? Or maybe, as the country is just bare bones right now, we could make Rauland more oriental so she fits in? Scott's character already has some elements in there (a sensei, dragons, secret societies, etc). We could make a simple ethnical tweek to the entire population of the country/continent (almond eyes, skin tones), Gods are still up in the air as well, and voila! I even already mention a crumbling, province-spanning wall in Ur's "Power Explanation" bit, so it would be *perfect*!

OR, we could go the other way instead? Say that the company is characterized by being mostly foreigners -- sort of a Foreign Legion kind of a deal?

Or we can do both, of course: a foreign legion *within* an oriental-themed kingdom.

Jemal

Adventurer
Olla, folks. :)
Well site's back (And running fairly smoothly), so I'm going to start going over the posted characters.

I'm probably going to regret this, but are you sure about the Power Sight bit? I mean, this way can't he have it on all the time without any downside at all? Maybe tie it to a certain time-cost on the True Sight duration instead, say -30 seconds per use or the like?
Well it does have a swift action usage and an instant duration. You can still only scan one person per swift action, and it doesn't 'stay on'. It's basically just "click.. OK that guy's ECL 28, we might be in trouble..." And then you get a +5 to knowledge/gather info checks about him if made within the next hour.
I'm not sure if psychic fists have any swift action abilities, if not then yeah you could basically have it on all the time.
How bout I just add a minor 'have to push button' requirement? You have to push a button or adjust the glasses with your hand to turn it on, so people might know you'e activating it, and if your hands are full (Which as a monk shouldn't be too often), or you're immobilized, you cant use it - but it's still just a swift action.

Gods are still up in the air as well, and voila!
Any pantheon is OK by me. Feel free to take from existing RL, printed stuff, or whatever. Some will play a larger part in the mythos (Which I should be posting after I go over the characters) but I can modify that to suit whatever fits the party.

Jemal

Adventurer
OK, First character: VV - I know you've been waiting a while. :)
First off, I love the background, and kudos on the little 'horde/alliance' jokes. :) I'da given you XP, but I don't spread it enough apparently :(

SO, I won't be fully crunching the numbers on these characters this time (I want to finish today, lol) But nothing at a glance looks too far off - Your Stats don't look obscenely high or weak, and nothing really jumps out at me to say "NO"
Only problem i see so far is that those potions of reduce person won't work on you, ogres are humans, so enlarge/reduce don't work on them. Sry.
*Also, I'm not the kind of guy who usually does this kinda thing, but remember that Ioun stones are vulnerable to attack/grabbing.*

Jemal

Adventurer
OK, and I'm back. Was away for the day.
Anyways, on to the rest :p

Kinem -
As with VV, I didn't do all the math but see no problems.

Scott & BF - those tiny scroll boxes are difficult to navigate/read, so I'm going to copy-paste your characters into wordpads so I can read them. Will post up my thoughts soon.

Jemal

Adventurer
Binder -
Are all your psychic powers available for me to look up in the SRD? If not, which books are they from and what do they do?

You don't have your race/Class levels listed in the statblock, but looking through the sheet I assume you're dwarven monk 11/Psychic Fist 9?
I'm assuming from the fact that your feat list goes from "monk 11" to "psychic fist 12" that you took PF at lvl 12.

Please list how many skill points went into each skill, not just the total.

A note re: Psionic Quicken : As with Quicken spell, this should be a swift action, not free.

Equipment:
Not sure why you separated item location/description from item cost/stats, but that's a aesthetic choice on your part, not really relevant.

Remember that manuals don't stack, so if you've read a manual+1, future manuals will replace it, not stack with it (So to get the total +5 inherent, you'd need to read a full +5 manual, not just another +4 added onto your +1)

Ring of regeneration is 90K base. Swapping it to a head slot would change that to 135.

I could find no 'ring of roaring armor' in the MIC. what page is it on, cuz it's not listed under rings. *Also checked torc, not under that either*

I also couldn't find empowered spell shards, what page?

Goggles - Powersight is a swift action to activate, there are no 'quick' actions (Did you mean free?)

Belt of divine Prayer - A few issues with this item.
First, I think I already said no to this custom item (Though I thought it was divine might before)
Second, don't know the math you used on it but keep in mind that Wis mods on a belt would be outside affinity, so an additional 50% (Total of double cost to add to an existing item)
Finally, you have it listed as belt/ring, which is it?

*Actually, most of your items are listed under multiple body slots. I'm assuming the first is what they ARE and the second is the standard body slot the powers on the item are from? (IE 'earring with powers of Ring of regeneration, but using head slot')

Finally, just a minor thing : I'm assuming the stuff you have 'loaded in belt pouch' is supposed to be a backpack, since you might fit tools in a belt pouch, but not a bedroll or gauntlet. (Those things are pretty small)

Jemal

Adventurer
Scott -
OK, first thing : Spells
As we talked about earlier, your spellcasting should be as such:
Sorc 6, EK 4, AC 5, Practiced 4.
The 4 from practiced ONLY applies to the effects of spells, not to how many you can cast, how many you know, or what level of spells you can cast.
For anything on the "spells per day/Spells known" chart, you are effectively level 15.
Your CL for determining the EFFECT of those spells (damage dealt, range, duration, etc) is 19 (15+4). For Acid spells, this would be 20 due to your acidic splatter feat.

So for example, your spells known would be :
9 Cantrips, 5 First Lvl; 5 Second Lvl; 4 third lvl; 4 Fourth Lvl; 4 Fifth Lvl; 3 Sixth Lvl; 2 Seventh Lvl

Haven't done the math yet, so not sure if you did this, but as the only character who took an INT boosting item, I figured I should remind you that INT bonuses from items do not grant Skill points/Languages, so with a +6 int item, your base int of 14 is what would be used for skill point calculation and languages known.

There is no fly skill in 3.5, what you can do is based off your maneuverability class and any applicable feats/spells/items.

Combat : you have your attacks listed with "off hand att at -2/-7/"
Two weapon fighting doesn't just give the -2 atk penalty to your OFF hand, it allows you to take one extra attack using your highest BAB with your off hand weapon, but you take a -2 penalty on ALL attacks made till your next turn.

You have several scrolls listed as 'made himself'. Please note how much XP you spent on this and how much you have remaining.
Also, why take so many crafting feats and not use any but that one?
On that note, I would not suggest more than one or two Crafting feats. If you're using it to gain extra gold at the cost of XP, just take one feat and craft some expensive stuff. Taking multiples is only useful if you have specific items in mind you want to craft.
If its for RP reasons, I would still suggest against more than 1, maybe two feats, b/c you're seriously hampering your character.. Just SAY he's a crafter, give him one or two, and treat the rest as fluff.

Also on equipment, I see you've taken a weapon of Disruption - Be aware that special/important Undead (Bosses/characters) Will be protected from such mundane methods of dispatch.

Jemal

Adventurer
Hmm, with so many who said they wanted to play, I thought we'd have more than that..

I know Shayuri's still working on it. Is that all then, shall I close the game with these five?

I'll give a few more days for people to post rough drafts to the RG, then close recruitment so we can get the finishing touches on and start.

NOW, as far as story goes - I'm liking how you guys have been building off each other, maybe a bit more of how you got together?

Also, I'm going to say one thing for sure - the Rauland draught was NOT the most recent adventure, though may have been the first time all of you worked together. The last adventure you were on is from the plot, so I'll be giving you the info on it, for now I'll just tell you that it was a very Epic war against a powerful Arch-Lich.

As far as the 'clues' that will start you on your planar quest, I have a question for all of you :
Would you prefer me to actually give you clues/riddles and let you guys figure it out,
OR
Start after you've 'put it together', and tell you what your characters have figured out so you can start the adventuring part.

Remove ads