Pathfinder 1E Gaming w/Jemal: The Dungeon Crawl (Recruiting/Set-up)

Jemal

Adventurer
Darksfear: Character looks good. possibly too good.. :p

Kahless: Same I think, but please include more information.. I like to know what numbers are going into everything. How many skill points spent on each skill, what kind of bonuses you have on your AC to get it there, etc, etc..
take a look at several of the other characters and you'll see what I mean. Mostly this is important for AC,
Saves, and Skills.

Shayuri:
Numbers look good, couple questions/comments though :
First, why Shield instead of Mage Armour? Is the protection from magic missiles really worth the 1/60th duration?

Second, you should probably spend all that money on something. I have a list of many useful low level mundane / minor magic items I could suggest if you're not sure what to do with it.
[sblock=Item suggestions]
FOOD & Water
MW Backpack: +1 str for carrying capacity (50gp)
Bandoliers/ Adventurers sash: Useful for carrying things in easy to reach locations.
Smelling Salts: can be used to wake up an unconscious person (Even if they're unconscious from damage) (25 gp)
Traveler's Anytool: Can be transformed into virtually any basic tool, counts as mw (250gp)
Sleeve's of Many garments: Can make you look like you're wearing whatever you want (Discount but limited version of glamered armour/hat of disguise) (200gp)
Ioun Stones: Cracked ioun stones can grant +1 to any skill for 200gp. OR for 800gp you can get a Cracked Magenta Prism that gives +2 to any skill of your choice, AND you can choose a different skill each day if you wish.
Wands/Scrolls/Potions: Various but useful!
[/sblock]
Third: as someone with a lot of experience building many A) Arcanists B) Face characters, and C) Knowledge characters, I have several pieces of of unsolicited build advice. Keep in mind these are just suggestions.

[sblock=Unsolicited Advice]
STATS:
The Arcanist "SAYS" it's a Charisma character, but it really isn't.. unless you plan on using the exploits that require saves (Don't, they're all traps!), Charisma is only useful for two things:
A) Consume Spells - Not really worth it, especially when you could just START with more reservoir by having a better int.
B) Social skills - this can actually be done BETTER with Intelligence. (See below)
SO, I would suggest dropping your charisma to 10, and raise your base int to 18. This would leave you with 3 points.. +2 wis /+1 con perhaps?

This would further raise all of your int based skill checks, give more reservoir, an additional 1st lvl spell per day, +1 save dcs on your spells, more skill points, +1 will save, and increase your negative hp before death to -11, at no deficit to your character's other abilities.

Skills:
If you want to be good at all knowledges, you could just dip each one with a single point to get the class bonus, since they're all class skills for arcanists. if you put 1 into each knowledge skill, they will all be at +8(+9 if yo go with raised int) - very respectable. Better for most of them, slightly worse for the arcana/nature.
If you went with the increased INT, that would leave you with 4 skill points but you don't actually loose that much.. consider:
Bluff/ Diplomacy - you really only need one of these, and if you cut down to one of them that would gain you back one of your traits!
Perception - since it's not a class skill, the skill points here are simply a 1 for 1 basis, and the difference between a +2 and a +4 isn't all that great. Then again, perception IS the most important/most used skill, so... probably good to keep.
Linguistics - Fun but very circumstantial. Could probably wait until lvl 3 (Plus you have comp. languages in your spellbook anyway if you DO run into the circumstance where you really need it).
Spellcraft - This one I'd keep at least 1 point in.

So my skill suggestion would be 1 point in bluff or diplomacy, 1 point each of the 10 knowledges, 1 point in spellcraft., and use the other 2 points wherever you feel like. Assuming you survive to lvl 3, you'll gain 7 more skill points that are free to go anywhere b/c you'll already have filled in all your basic knowledge requirements.

Feats: In congruence with the above suggestions, I would say you're better off dropping the Breadth of Experience feat in exchange for Extra Exploit or Extra Resevoir.

Traits: switching to a single social trait would free up a trait, which you could then use for the trait "Clever Wordplay", which would allow you to add your (now +5) INT instead of CHA to the one social skill you decide to keep.

Summary:
If you followed all these suggestions, your skills could look like:
Bluff +11 (1 rank +3 trained +5 int +1 trait +1 racial) +1 to fool
Knowledge (ALL): +9 (1 rank +3 trained +5 int)
Perception +5 (2 rank +2 racial +1 wis)
Spellcraft +9 (1 rank +3 trained +5 int) +2 to ID items

and once you hit lvl 3..
Bluff +13 (3 ranks +3 trained +5 int +1 trait +1 racial) +1 to fool
Perception +6 (3 ranks +2 racial +1 wis)
Spellcraft +10 (2 ranks +3 trained +5 int) +2 to ID items
Linguistics +11 (3 ranks +3 trained +5 int)

That's In addition to having 1 more spell/day, +1 spell DC, and either +1 reservoir and an extra exploit, or +4 reservoir over what you currently have.

----

**Alternately if you want to focus more on skills than combat, you could spend your feat on "Additional Traits", a feat that grants you 2 more traits... keep the two traits you have, and take two more:
Student of Philosophy (Add int to Diplomacy for persuasion but not Gather info, and Int to Bluff for Lieing but not Feinting),
and one of the traits that gives Perception: +1 and class skill (there's several).

Then you could keep both your social skills, With your int mod to them for anything you'd likely actually use it for (How often do you expect to be gathering information or Feinting down here?), AND increase your perception significantly.

ALT skill list if going more skills route:
Bluff +11 (1 rank +3 trained +5 int +1 trait +1 racial) +1 to fool
Diplomacy: +11 (1 rank +3 trained +5 int +1 trait +1 racial)
Perception +8 (1 rank +3 trained +2 racial +1 wis +1 trait)
Spellcraft +9 (1 rank +3 trained +5 int) +2 to ID items

lvl 3:
Bluff +13 (3 ranks +3 trained +5 int +1 trait +1 racial) +1 to fool
Diplomacy: +13 (3 rank +3 trained +5 int +1 trait +1 racial)
Perception +10 (3 rank +3 trained +2 racial +1 wis +1 trait)
Spellcraft +9 (1 ranks +3 trained +5 int) +2 to ID items
Linguistics +9 (1 ranks +3 trained +5 int)

AND don't forget you'd still be getting the bonus 1st lvl spell, +1 spell dcs, and +1 reservoir from your increased int[/sblock]

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
I dunno. At that point it seems like I'm basically just playing a wizard in some ways.

Although I still prefer how the arcanist prepares spells.

I'll think on it.

I'm kind of leaning towards making a 'throwaway' character for the first level or two. Which is unexpectedly difficult for a game I plan on taking seriously.

Shayuri

First Post
Blurgh. I dunno if this is working for me. Y'all should start without me. Maybe I can join later on, if I start getting more than smoke and grinding noises when I try to think of a character I really want to play here. :(

Remove ads