Gaming W/Jemal: War of Gods

Rathan

First Post
Shayuri said:
I'm no character-optimization genius, but I'm reasonably good at creating concepts with class and race combinations.

What are you interested in playing?

I would love to play a sharpshooter, a ranged character that is godly-like in his skill with a bow. Could be ranger-ish... could be fighter-ish... could be anything else in between.. and whatever PRC's that will up my range and damage with a bow would be great....

EDIT: The other concept I've always wanted to play is a ghost.... problem is with a ghost you can only have so many items.. and the ability to hurt corporeal creatures and such can be tricky... but if you can make it work I'd love to play a ghost...

Last edited:

Fenris

Adventurer
Wow. After seeing Shayuri's character I can honestly say I am a little daunted at this task. I will give this a shot and maybe you all can correct any glaring mistakes or omissions.

Jemal

Adventurer
Fenris -Don't worry about it, if you want help making your character better people will help, and even if you don't, I've always been fairly good at making balanced encounters that allow everyone to participate.

Allright, so far we have interest from Shayuri, Dharuhk, Rathan, Fenris, and Nephtys. Looks like we're starting to pick up speed.

I'd like you guys to keep us posted on how your characters are Developing, rather than just waiting to post a final version. I'd like to see how they're coming along as we prepare.

Fenris

Adventurer
Fenris -Don't worry about it, if you want help making your character better people will help, and even if you don't, I've always been fairly good at making balanced encounters that allow everyone to participate.

Allright, so far we have interest from Shayuri, Dharuhk, Rathan, Fenris, and Nephtys. Looks like we're starting to pick up speed.

I'd like you guys to keep us posted on how your characters are Developing, rather than just waiting to post a final version. I'd like to see how they're coming along as we prepare.

Ok, thanks Jemal. After a brief look-see into a character, I have a possible idea. Will we be traveling onto various planes? Taking the fight to the gods so to speak? Because I thought a Sand Giant barbarian 28/ Horizon Walker 8 would be a pretty cool idea. In any case I will most likely be headed down the path of the big bruiser.

Nephtys

First Post
I think we'll be seeing a lot of big bruisers :)

My basic idea is a Feral (Savage Species), Half Dragon (black) (template class (SS), Wartroll (MM3), something, something Frenzied Berserker.
I'm considering squeezing in the epic Paragon Creature (SRD) template, but that might be overkill. Where would you put the LA on that? The CR is base creature + 15.

Last edited:

Jemal

Adventurer
Ok, thanks Jemal. After a brief look-see into a character, I have a possible idea. Will we be traveling onto various planes? Taking the fight to the gods so to speak? Because I thought a Sand Giant barbarian 28/ Horizon Walker 8 would be a pretty cool idea. In any case I will most likely be headed down the path of the big bruiser.
Well, that's entirely up to you guys, depends on whether you try damage control on the Material, hunting down avatars, trying to make deals, or going to their home planes and attempting to kick in the dieities door while he's in the tub.

I think we'll be seeing a lot of big bruisers
Well, I'm hoping we'll get some finesseful characters, I've always found fighting with style to be very entertaining, especially at epic.

My basic idea is a Feral (Savage Species), Half Dragon (black) (template class (SS), Wartroll (MM3), something, something Frenzied Berserker.
I'm considering squeezing in the epic Paragon Creature (SRD) template, but that might be overkill. Where would you put the LA on that? The CR is base creature + 15.
First question, what's "template class (SS)"?

And on that note...
Dissallowed Templates: Psuedonatural, Feral, Lolth-touched, Insectile
Dissallowed Races: Anything with a Good/Evil alignment subtype
More to be added, this will be moved to the first post and updated as things come up.

As far as War Troll, you can take it on the following condition: You will not have the Dazing Blow ability. I'm not looking forward to "Save vs X with every swing".

ALL: RE Templates/Level Adjustment. We'll be working Epicness off of HD, so your BAB and Saves will continue to go up until you have 20 HD, after which they will begin progressing as Epic. This also affects Epic Feat progression in that you do not qualify for Epic Feats until you have 21+HD.

[sblock=Paragon Template]LA+16, with the following Changes:
The Speed Tripling is considered an Enhancement bonus like Haste/ Boots of swiftness, and does not stack with other enhancements.
SR = HD+26, not CR+25. This means that if it's your only Template, your SR will be 50, the equivalent of ECL+10.
DR 15/Epic

Also keep in mind that some of the Paragon's abilities state they replace(do not stack with) the existing creature's ability (Natural armour bonus, Fast Healing, Resistance/DR/SR).
Also, the creature's +10 Skill bonus is a Competence bonus, which is the same kind that most magical items give, and does not stack.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Nephtys

First Post
Well, I'm hoping we'll get some finesseful characters, I've always found fighting with style to be very entertaining, especially at epic.

First question, what's "template class (SS)"?

And on that note...
Dissallowed Templates: Psuedonatural, Feral, Lolth-touched, Insectile
Dissallowed Races: Anything with a Good/Evil alignment subtype
More to be added, this will be moved to the first post and updated as things come up.

As far as War Troll, you can take it on the following condition: You will not have the Dazing Blow ability. I'm not looking forward to "Save vs X with every swing".

ALL: RE Templates/Level Adjustment. We'll be working Epicness off of HD, so your BAB and Saves will continue to go up until you have 20 HD, after which they will begin progressing as Epic. This also affects Epic Feat progression in that you do not qualify for Epic Feats until you have 21+HD.

[sblock=Paragon Template]LA+16, with the following Changes:
The Speed Tripling is considered an Enhancement bonus like Haste/ Boots of swiftness, and does not stack with other enhancements.
SR = HD+26, not CR+25. This means that if it's your only Template, your SR will be 50, the equivalent of ECL+10.
DR 15/Epic

Also keep in mind that some of the Paragon's abilities state they replace(do not stack with) the existing creature's ability (Natural armour bonus, Fast Healing, Resistance/DR/SR).
Also, the creature's +10 Skill bonus is a Competence bonus, which is the same kind that most magical items give, and does not stack.[/sblock]

Ok.

I think that would make my characters SR 44 (40-6-16+26), since it has such a high LA. That makes the SR useful only against lower level casters. But since the only spellcasters in the game are the gods themselves and their most powerful servants maybe SR will never really be a factor since the gods would likely beat SR 65 too.
The redundancies are really not too bad, but it all leaves me with something to consider. What am I giving up and how does it compare? Pretty well, I think.

Oh, and thanks for the improvement in DR :)

The template class from Savage Species gives the benefits of a template (like Half Dragon) gradually trough 3 levels. Since the Feral template can only be applied to a humanoid or monstrous humanoid I needed a way to apply the Half Dragon template afterwards. Normally the inherited HD template would be applied first and bestow the Dragon type on the character, barring it from taking Feral.

Oh, and since my way to Pounce is barred with the Feral template will you allow me to take Pounce as an alternative Barbarian class feature with the Lion Totem (from Complete Champion)?

Last edited:

Fenris

Adventurer
Well, that's entirely up to you guys, depends on whether you try damage control on the Material, hunting down avatars, trying to make deals, or going to their home planes and attempting to kick in the dieities door while he's in the tub.

Natch.

Jemal said:

Hrmmm. Considering I have no clue what any of that means, I guess I will go with a human. :p

Jemal said:
This was my other concept I was considering. I may toss around a few combinations here to see what can come of it.

Rathan

First Post
Ok... so if Jemal is ok with it.. I'd like to try a ghost character... however I need A LOT of help in regards to good class combinations as well and feats and items that will really help give the character the 'umph' it needs to compete with everyone else.

I'm opening this up to everyone that's willing to help me and toss me some ideas... anyone got any good ideas???!

Last edited:

Fenris

Adventurer
Ok for a finesse character i was thinking something like a dual knife wielder. say a human rogue 20/fighter 4/ Swashbuckler 3/ Invisible Blade 5/Master Thrower 5/ Perfect Wight 3.

Now that is a thumbnail and I like everyone else will need help tweaking it and making it work, but i think that would be fun to play.

Remove ads