• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Gaming W/Jemal: War of Gods

Jemal

Adventurer
Jemal, what specifically about the Druid are you changing in exchange for no spells? Surely not just BAB?

Oh! Also! Any thoughts on how I can get natural attacks to penetrate Epic DR without getting Ki Strike (Adamantine) first?

Funny you should ask those two questions together, What I'd been thinking for Druid was this:
Upgrading BAB to full, HD to d10s, and giving bonuses while shapeshifted based on level (To account for loss of druidic spellcasting).

The druid gains one of the following whenever he/she would otherwise gain the ability to cast 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, or 9th level spells, (total of 5 abilities in place of 9th lvl casting)
Natural Strike(As Ki strike and stacks with it, plus may pick any alignment or Metal type each time this ability is chosen.), Bonus feat (Wild Feat, Monstrous Feat, or other druid-centric feat)

Also, not everyone plays like this, so just to make it clear: Characters may take feats whose requirements they can meet through wildshaping, but they temporarily loose that feat when not in a form that meets the requirements.

Rathan - Do you want a full-attack character, a move-shoot-move character, or some other form of combat style?

Neph - Nice Stats. Just For the record, what I'm getting for your level is:
Paragon(16LA), Half-Dragon(3LA), War Troll(6LA, 12HD)=25LA, 12 racial HD, leaving room for 3 class levels.
Hmm.. If you want to get the most out of those stats, I'd suggest class levels that allow you to add additional stats to things, such as Monk/Ninja for Wis to AC, Swashbuckler for int to dmg(Combos well with the High Strength if you take a Spiked Chain, but takes all 3 of your class levels to get) .. um.. Can't think of any others off the top of my head that you can get with just a couple lvls.. least not any that would be useful.
If you go that route, you may also want to look into Feats & Items which also capitalize on your high stats.

Jemal

Adventurer
Penetrate Damage Reduction [Epic], can you choose (Epic) as one of the types and have it penetrate epic DR?
Ordinarily no, b/c the new Penetrate DR is MATERIALS only, but I'm going to use a bit of a combination between the ELH Pen DR and the new version.
New version works as normal (Pick a material each time) but if you want to Pen Magic or Epic DR, you have to use the ELH version (Adds +2 to your effective weapon's magic rating to determine whether it pens DR). If you have something like Ki Strike that allows you to beat DR/Magic allready, that counts as a +2 effective enhancement, so you would need Pen DR 2X to beat Epic DR. (Or a +4 weapon and the feat once)

Also, those using Natural Attacks, they overcome your own Natural DR (not provided by Items/magic/etc), so if you're a Paragon, your natural/unarmed attacks automatically overcome DR/Epic. This does not extend to weapon attacks.
I've been told this isn't an actual rule (And In truth haven't been able to find it recently, so it may be a holdover from 3.0), but that's the way I roll, so there. :p

Last edited:

Rathan

First Post
I was thinking a more mobile character than can hit things while in melee with something else might be prudent. I can see a lot of players going more 'in your face' than not, so I want 'in your face... from waaayyy the f*#k over here... then in your face from a little ways over here too!!' LOL

Jemal

Adventurer
Rathan - What're you thinking? Spring attack? Scout?
Ooh, if you have wings then fly-by attack could be amusing, coupled with some of the specialty Standard-action attack forms.

Rathan

First Post
Ok.... so far I'm liking where that's going...

Scout sounds good.. but I'm not overly familiar with it... what book is it found in?

Race suggestions on what would be best to give meh wings?...

This is something I'd have to have you put together if you have time Jemal.. it's a bit over my head... once you have it assembled I have dissect it which will help me in the future heh

Jemal

Adventurer
Wings can be gotten several ways.
Half celestial/Half Fiend would work, but you'd have to come up with a good story reason why you haven't chosen a side (Though I'd allow it for a Half b/c they have more freedom of choice than full demons/angels)
Half Dragon works if you're Large sized
Theres a Winged Template, but I can't remember what book its from.

Scout is a base class from Complete Adventurer. It gains damage/AC bonuses when moving before attacking.

I think you mentioned wanting to be a ranged type before, are you thinking archer or thrower?
For Thrower I'd suggest Master Thrower and possibly Invisible Blade (Though I saw Fenris post a concept involving those)
For Archer I'd go with Order of the Bow, to capitalize on the Single-attack. (Or use Manyshot/Greater manyshot).

Rathan

First Post
I'm thinking more bow as you are correct, someone earlier mentioned both the throwing classes before, and I'd rather not steal someones thunder.

If you can swing a large half dragon (any metallic is fine) that's fine with me too... I'd take half celestial too... I think I'd prefer the half dragon though....

Last edited:

Nephtys

First Post
Neph - Nice Stats. Just For the record, what I'm getting for your level is:
Paragon(16LA), Half-Dragon(3LA), War Troll(6LA, 12HD)=25LA, 12 racial HD, leaving room for 3 class levels.
Hmm.. If you want to get the most out of those stats, I'd suggest class levels that allow you to add additional stats to things, such as Monk/Ninja for Wis to AC, Swashbuckler for int to dmg(Combos well with the High Strength if you take a Spiked Chain, but takes all 3 of your class levels to get) .. um.. Can't think of any others off the top of my head that you can get with just a couple lvls.. least not any that would be useful.
If you go that route, you may also want to look into Feats & Items which also capitalize on your high stats.

That's it. I'm thinking Fighter 1 (for the bonus feat and because I can't think of something better), Monk 1 (for the AC from Wis) and Fist of the Forest 1 (AC from Con) (Complete Champion p80). That would make my AC very high. Perhaps redundantly high, since I already have a good AC and can absorb a fair bit of damage with regeneration and fast healing. There's nothing I've found in the ELH that could even hit an AC of 124 (which I can get without epic items) without rolling a 20. Touch AC is another matter, and both classes get me that. Marshal would have been good, but I don't want to make this character too similar to the other one. Swashbuckler might be a good alternative.

Can ordinary clothing carry armour enchantments btw? Robes of the Archmagi seem to suggest that, but I thought I should ask.

Last edited:

Dharuhk Svahre

First Post
Sorry I haven't posted in a while, I've been sick. So I haven't got a final answer on my fleshgrinding question yet. Or maybe I did and just missed it. Any thoughts on it I should know about?

Jemal

Adventurer
Dharuhk -
Allright, I'll allow it for now, though I'm going to want to see exactly what you're doing with it. That ability just makes me wary..

Neph -
No, clothing cannot carry armour enhancements. the Robes of the Archmagi are a specialty item with preset bonuses. The downsie of not wearing armour is you have to give up on the armour enhancements(Fortification, resistance, etc), though you can still gain armour bonuses through spells, magic items(that Robe or Bracers of armour), etc.

Don't have complete Champion, what's Fist of the Forest? What kind of AC bonus is it?

Also keep in mind that I will be designing most of the fights, so I'm going to have to make sure some of them can hit you, and if your AC is that much higher than the rest of the party, that means those fighters won't be able to MISS anybody else.

Last edited:

Remove ads